1701-D in Minecraft

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some crazy people playing Minecraft ran the project of building the 1701-D deck by deck. Sucessfully!

How it started:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIh1fxlqIoY[/yt]

How it is now:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_cTSCuif0[/yt]

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Not trying to piss on anyone's parade here, but am I the only one who doesn't get the continued popularity of Minecraft? Granted, I didn't yet give it a try myself, but to be honest, the boxy, rather lame look doesn't really make me want to.

3. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

I guess you have never played with Lego bricks?

4. Salinga

lol, I also dont understand it. Its gfx is even worse than Quake 1. But hey: lets not judge. ;)

And in the end, Minecraft is probably the only game right now, that features a deck-by-deck recreation of the 1701-D, according to the blue prints.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The work and time dedicated to what was done to recreate the Ent-D there "to scale" is quite impressive and should be highly lauded. But it's a work that is only really appreciated by the dedication by those involved, the scale of the task and the detail that went into it. The ship looks pretty impressive from afar but given that walking through it would be an Atari-level nightmare of detail and blockiness it's muted a bit.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Actually I loved Lego as a child! And although I barely have time to play these days, I still think it's a great way to live out and expand one's creativity. However, I'm one of those who never merely recreated what was on the box! Even as a child I thought it was just lazy to build something using a blueprint laid out by someone else. Maybe that's why I don't see the appeal in this. It seems like there's not much actual creativity and ingenuity involved. Plus, as I said, I'm not a fan of the look.

But, again, I have nothing against those who enjoy Minecraft. Really, I don't. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one who doesn't "get it".

7. Salinga

I even found YT videos, where they show other Star Trek ships recreated like this in Minecraft, like the Defiant from DS9, USS Voyager or the old Enterprise. :)

8. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'd seen the first one a while ago but not the others. I LOVE seeing the ship from these different angles that they never got/could get to on in the series. Just makes it look it's immense size and dazzles with its sweeping beauty. I love it. Glorious