Trek Poster mashup.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SimpleLogic, Apr 16, 2014.

1. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Made a Days of Future's Past type teaser poster in Photoshop. I'm an amateur for sure but I like to mess around and make stuff like this for fun.

[​IMG]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Neat, but I can't decide if it makes Shatner look really swollen on one half or if Pine has burn scars on one half.

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somehow that's both cool and creepy at the same time. :wtf:

5. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

If I may, some suggestions:

I think you'll find that, even with the X-Men posters your style is based on, the artist took some liberties with smoothing details between the two actors' faces that would otherwise be glaringly obvious. Chris Pine looks enough like Shatner to be able to take over his role without people giving funny looks -- as they would for, say, Dick Sergeant or John Cho.

But they have differences in facial symmetry, and they become obvious here. Not everyone tips their head straight up and down when they relax (I certainly don't), and Pine's cranium is about two degrees counter-clockwise of Shatner's. Also, Shatner is more square-shouldered; Pine more round-shouldered. The Starfleet insignia that rests on Shatner's chest lines up with Pine's left shoulder.

I think if you want to take this challenge a bit further, first take two photos where the actors are lit from the same direction. Here, Shatner is lit full-on, while Pine is lit from the right.

Take those two photos and in your photo editor, superimpose them. Then create a layer that will be hidden later where you plot red dots at their most important feature points, like the tips and bases of their ears, the centers of their eyes, the widths of their noses. (Note now Pine's ear flanges out while Shatner's tapers back. These are their most noticeably different features, and they stand out like sore thumbs here.)

Then change both photos, all the way -- average both of them so that Shatner looks a bit more like Pine and Pine a bit more like Shatner. Then apply the mask effect. If you keep Shatner's eye pretty much intact, as well as Pine's lips, you'll be able to portray both pretty effectively.

DF "It's a Good Thing These are Black-and-White Photos, Because Then You'd Really See the Difference" Scott

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

7. SimpleLogic

Exactly I had to search for 2 pictures that were made over 20 years apart where they at least were looking in pretty much the same direction. I think I captured the spirit of it especially since the image was made for a bit of a laugh anyway. And yes an X is more forgiving since it doesn't cover more space but the Star Trek logo is more appropiate.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's freaky but I really like it!

9. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Frankly, I'm amazed at how well it DID turn out!

--Alex

10. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here :) :techman:

11. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

Add me to the list. Nice job. :techman:

12. SimpleLogic

Ok how about the Star Trek/Trancendence mashup? :-)

You know I have fun making these but it is a sad state that someone of my skill (none) can approximate the movie posters. They need to go back to great art posters like Drew Struzan made.

[​IMG]

13. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah, a proper painting sells a movie as far as I'm concerned. Photoshop is well and good, but I miss the oldschool also.

--Alex

14. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Try shrinking the chevron a bit, center it a little more and make a cut-out in the center for the command star shape. That will give you some "breathing room" to play with the alignment and blending.

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Struzan? C'mon, this is a Trek board! PEAK!

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I nominate this one by this gentleman. XI/TMP mashup anyone? Or how bout a WOK/ID one?

I can't post the image from my Facebook. Sorry. Clicky the link above.

Back to lurking I go. *hides*
    [​IMG]

17. SimpleLogic

That one is really great. I wish I had that kind of artistic talent.