Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by lordbaltimore1, Apr 16, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    This. But Forbes and S1 lethargic Brooks would have been a waste, and I doubt even she would have upped his game. Forbes and later-shouty Brooks a la Eddington? Much better :)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I would trade Kira for Ro Laren in a heartbeat.

3. lordbaltimore1

lordbaltimore1 Ensign Red Shirt

If not DS9, I wish they'd made Ro a regular cast member for the final season or two of TNG. Loved seeing her verbally spar with Picard, she was every bit his match and unlike some other characters was totally not intimidated by Picard's gravitas. Ro and Guinan were the two best female characters on TNG and they weren't even regulars (sadly).

4. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Never in a million years would I have made that trade. Now, Ro and Forbes are both awesome, so if she had been on DS9 from the beginning it would have been fine. And the whole 'Ro was in Starfleet so the dynamic would have been different' could easily have been overcome with a simple uniform change. No problem.

But DS9 without Kira would be DS9 without its heart. She was the centre of that show from the very beginning, and I've always seen her as the main character, not Sisko. Visitor is an incredibly underrated actress too, and I think the show would have suffered a huge loss without her.

Plus, she's the only Star Trek cast member who's ever given me a kiss (and vice versa), so, y'know. :luvlove:

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lucky. ;)

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Over the years I have come to the realization that Kira is more or less my favorite character on that show. I love all of them (except maybe Worf, who was always kinda meh), but Kira-centric episodes, scenes and arcs tend to be the ones I love most about this show. I'm a huge fan of the Bajoran arc in the first two seasons and Kira is all over that. She's such a strong and at the same time very conflicted and often vulnerable character. Plus, Nana Visitor does a wonderful job portraying her.

Sure, I like Ro, too. But don't anyone get near my Major Kira! :p

7. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Kira is at the center of a lot of what makes DS9 great :techman:

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, I'd want both. And Jadzia. And Ezri. And Leeta. All in my bed. At least I'd die happy.

9. R. Star

Death by jamaharon? ;)

10. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would not trade Kira Nerys for anything . Having Ro Larern would have been nice but in the end Ro would have had to submit to Sisko's demands .With Kira being a bajoran militia member she was argumentative with him.

11. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kira was great so no i would never replace her.

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my...and just for that, I would trade janeway for...RIKERRRR!!! :eek:

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kira Nerys was one of the best characters of DS9, so no, I wouldn't trade.

14. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

And Seven for ARCHER!!! Mwahahahaaa!

Yeah, there's no way I'd trade Kira for Ro. I absolutely adore Kira. She was a bit abrasive at first, but that was understandable; the Bajorans had just gotten the Cardassians to leave, only to be (seemingly) replaced by the Federation. It's no wonder she was angry and resentful. She just wanted a free Bajor, for heaven's sake.

And anyway, her character just got better and better with every episode. By the second season, she had become my favorite female Trek character ever. I liked Ro, but Kira's frigging amazing. She's strong, resilient, and feisty, but also sweet, compassionate, and loyal. She's the best.

I'm comfortable enough to admit, I have a total girl-crush on Kira. I'm as straight as they come, but she's just so danged pretty. Curse her giant brown doe eyes. :lol:

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think a guest appearance from Michelle Forbes would have been great. Not a regular, but maybe just a one-off return where she and Kira clash over different ideals. I'd love to have seen that. :) But I wouldn't trade Kira for her. As others have already said, Kira Nerys is a much more dynamic character than Ro Laren. The fact alone that she isn't Starfleet makes a big difference (yeah I know, technically Ro wasn't by the end of TNG either). One of the things which makes Kira so great in the DS9 cast dynamic is that she's got her own life and largely her own agenda. She isn't tied to the uniform, but when she does eventually get to be part of Starfleet it feels like a logical progression for the character. Ro, on the other hand, was always part of Starfleet and despite her firey attitude she still had to follow orders. Most of the time. ;)

16. R. Star

I was in the minority apparently, crushing on Kira instead of Dax when the series was running when I was a teenager. :p Kira just seemed more genuine and real to me. Though thank goodness she changed her hair style after Emissary! ;)

Ro's a fun character, and very tragic, but I don't think the DS9 posting would've suited her at all. Who knows, it could've been better, but it would've involved missing out on Kira. My main disappointment is we didn't see her in a guest role on DS9. With her joining the Maquis, she could've been involved in some interesting stories.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would have liked Ro if she had been involved in the Maquis arc. Maybe team her up with Eddington or something.

18. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I would have been okay with this degree of involvement, but that would be about it. I have no interest in replacing Kira...especially not with a character from TNG.

Might have been a nice touch to have her in the Maquis arc or something though.

19. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, when Visitor began to wear that later uniform, she was very sexy. :lol: So, no.

20. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

I like Kira more, redheads just look more edgy.