The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Yes, it was him. While it wasn't totally clear to me in the episode itself, the behind the scenes segment on Talking Dead showed that it was indeed him.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that certainly was a........unique....... way to get a wedding ring.:wtf:

3. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

It was an engagement ring. Still was a different take on shopping for a ring than I've ever seen though.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if next week annoying Dad will find a way to blame Tyreese for his son's death. I'd like to see Tyreese kill that ass off.

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Oh God, I hope not. That would be too soapy. :cardie: No, something nice and subtle for Carol and Daryl. Oddly enough (or maybe not oddly) I can actually see Rick and Michonne becoming lovers at some point in the future when he's finally stopped mourning Lori.

Oh, Merle, Merle, Merle. We barely knew ye. I felt bad for Daryl, anyway. Seeing your big brother in that condition would rip your guts out. So to speak.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yes, exactly. That's the main reason it creeps me out.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Chalk it up as a generational culture thing.

Tonight was a pretty damn good episode. Merle didn't really have much of a plan, which became pretty clear once he got to the meet-up. Seems like just barreling into them (and their cars) would have been more effective if you had already resigned yourself to it being a suicide run.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Merle had some military experience. In an ambush situation, your intended target should be your first shot, so you don't give away your position before achieving your objective. Unless your position is secure and you can complete your mission despite your location being known. His location was far from secure, seeing as a walker managed to draw him out of hiding.

Of course I know this is TV and the villain has to stick around until the end of his arc. But it just made Merle look like a screw up instead of someone with military training.

9. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After watching the Talking Dead here is what I may have noticed:

- no walkers in the field at the prison or along the fence
    - no signs of life at the prison at all

I'm of two minds about this:

a). Rick and Crew left the prison...
    b). they left the prison waited outside woodbury for The Governor and his men to leave and then took over Woodbury.

Perhaps they moved the walkers inside the prison o when they open the door to get into the prison the walkers come out and attack the governers men.

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a good episode as well. However, I am finding my overall excitement for the series starting to diminish a bit.

It starting to become rinse repeat on fight the zombies and have a little emotional drama in between.

The series is going to have to find a better mission for the group than to simply look for shelter every season if it's going to last IMO.

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that's the natural set-up; the moron is desperate to prove his loyalty / manhood to Phllip, and hates Tyreese, so as I mentioned earlier, he would try the "accident" or "friendly fire" scam to kill Tyreese.

The big question is Tyreese's sister: part of the attack, or left at Woodbury? Aside from Daryl rescuing Andrea, I can see his sister realizing she's in the 21st century version of Jonestown (also recalling Andrea's warning), and making her move. Perhaps they escape, but discover the prison is destroyed and assume the worst has come to pass, going off in a different direction.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's a new world. Time for new traditions. ;)

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but the series honchos do not want to run toward the expected--at least not in a telegraphed way. The most unlikely couple of all--bigmouth Andrea and streetwise southern "outlaw" type Daryl--would throw the audience for a loop, even if does not last.

Merle was subversive trash, but setting Michonne free, and admitting that he's seen as the devil (having no place among Rick's group--including Daryl) were effective realization moments. If he cannot go back to the realtionship he had with Daryl, he has no reason to live.

I credit the series for breaking the predictable in showing some growth / self-analysis for Merle, which is so rare in "everything is gritty"/one charracter mold TV.

Shane was a self-interested, murderous demon, and could not change, but Merle--the racist, sexist, violent criminal turns a corner before the end, thus the stereotype was melting.

On the other hand, of all of the Rick gang, Glenn is so Maggie-obsessed, will he even appreciate Merle let Michonne go, and actually cut down some of the governor's numbers?

14. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

It was creepy for sure. At least he cleaned the ring off first. I wonder if he'll tell her how he got it? :eek:

15. ThunderAeroI

It seems to me there were only a couple of ways to get it. The most logical one is he took it from someone...we know he didn't pay for it. So whats the difference it was stolen.

My wife was like, what is he doing? I casually said, shopping for an engagement ring... she thought I was loony turns out I was right!

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why did Merle pack a phone in his kidnap kit?

17. ThunderAeroI

My thought was that is where the copper wire came from to tie her up. But who knows really, maybe he was talking to ghosts as well.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shane was not, as he went along, anything like a "good guy," but I don't think "murderous demon" is a fair characterization.

Every thing he did was because he thought that was how he needed to be in the post-apocalyptic, post Rick, world. And, sometimes, he was right (the walker barn for example).

He became a villain but he was still a somewhat sympathetic one.

One of the best parts of that scene was that Daryl's reaction seemed as much about finally letting go and getting angry with his brother for the years of abuse.

He didn't "kill" zombie Merle silently or quickly like he did other walkers. He punched him repeatedly, threw him to the ground and repeatedly stabbed him in the face. His brother was one of the only zombies to whom he didn't show a form of mercy.

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see it that way. He never expected the Governor to be on the front line when his plan went into motion. The Governor wasn't his intended target. Anyone he could eliminate was, as he knew he'd be storming the guard positions. His mission was to cut the Woodbury numbers to better Daryl's odds of survival. Plus, the very second he got lucky & saw The Gov. He took & scored the kill shot, but Ben stepped in the way at the very moment

He couldn't just sit around & wait for the Governor to show up, the assault was time sensitive, using the walkers as a temporary diversion, so he could shoot down combatants & in the chaos go unnoticed for a short time

I thought it was actually pretty smartly done given it was a suicide mission, & it almost worked. Only a tenth of a second from eliminating the Gov.

Frankly, the Woodbury lot are a pretty poor unit. Rick's group has the edge there, & from the look of the finale teaser, they are either gone, or are in hiding & possibly plan to fight with guerrilla tactics, which given the state of their group, is as good a plan as they can muster. It is after all THEIR turf

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yup, agreed. All things considered Merle did pretty good there at the end. And I totally missed until you all pointed it out that it was Ben who threw himself in front of the Gov.