jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No and no.
    It would be best to sit back, enjoy (or not:p) STID and wait to hear official word. See what the people and studios involved have agreed to do and not do.

2. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

In all honesty if JJ leaves it will be best to replace him with a director as good as he is or a director that is better than him in some people's opinon so I will love to see either:

1. James Cameron
    2. Joss Wheedon
    3. Christopher Nolan.

Direct star trek 3.

However I still think JJ will produce the third film.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. Spartan_029

Spartan_029 Ensign Red Shirt

I, for one, am excited that he will be doing both, and yeah, unless there's a production time frame issue, there is no reason he can't still do both...

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Remember when they hired ILM to do SFX for Star Trek? I felt so violated.

5. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Moving away just a bit -for just a moment- from the specifics of this discussion, can you imagine being a kid who (potentially, possibly) grows up to make both Star Trek AND Star Wars movies? COOL!

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And a Mission: Impossible movie!

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, directing Star Wars is not enough of a reason to keep Abrams away from Trek XIII. Practically speaking however, I awlays suspected Abrams and his cohorts wouldn't be involved with Trek XIII anyway. Paramount will want it in 2016, Trek's 50th anniversary. If Abrams delivers Star Wars by 2015, that doesn't leave very much time to get XIII done. And since his Cohorts took their sweet time getting the STID script done, Paramount will want someone who doesn't take three years to do something they promised would be done "at the end of the month." Hell, though Disney wants Abrams to direct Star Wars, they do not want his cohorts write it.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if he were never a fan of either growing up, any director worth his salt would be a fool to turn down such amazing oppertunities.

I just wish he'd not done the "I turned down Star Wars out of loyalty to Trek" speech - lies and bullshit are the way things work in Hollywood, but it doesn't make it any less distasteful.

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abrams has made Paramount a bona-fide tentpole franchise out of a dead and dried-up husk. They will do whatever he wants, and on whatever schedule that he chooses.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 50th anniversary will be celebrated. If James Bond could release a movie for its 50th anniversary despite belonging to a bankrupt studio. Doctor Who has no new productions being made this year except its 50th anniversary special (and its fandom is in an uproar that that's not enough). Paramount is going to look weak if they do nothing to mark Trek's 50th anniversary special. A new movie is the only practical option open to them. If Abrams can't deliver a movie for 2016, they'll find someone who can. They did it before with Harve Bennett and Trek VI.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. The Trek job is Abrams's to keep or to turn down on his terms.

Anniversary nonsense appeals to hardcore fandoms. Paramount has already demonstrated that their business and creative decisions vis-a-vis Star Trek are no longer driven by that kind of pandering.

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

JJ Abrams is quite obviously the Chosen One.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

He WILL bring balance to the franchises...

14. The Mirrorball Man

It is logical.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The power of your logic pales before the might of the dark side.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, there's plenty of ways to celebrate fifty years of Trek without a movie. Me? I'll make a pizza dinner from scratch, pulling the pizza out of the oven with my Spock Vulcan Salute oven mitt. Then, I'll cut the pizza with my Enterprise pizza cutter. I'll open a couple of beers with my Enterprise bottle opener, which I'll drink out of my Captain Kirk "Star Trek" pint glass (the Spock one is for lesser occasions, McCoy is for mixed drinks, and Scotty is for, well, Scotch). If it needs it, I'll season the pizza with my Enterprise salt and pepper shakers.

I'll be doing all this in my gold tunic while wearing my gold command robe with my phaser in one pocket and my tricorder in the other. I'll have on my Spock ears as long as they're comfortable and stay on (don't want them falling into the pizza).

I will eat the pizza in front of the TV while watching my favorite TOS episodes while looking for continutity errors to rationalize in bed as I drift off to sleep that night.

A rich, full day. And I won't even miss that there's no new movie.

17. The Mirrorball Man

Can you do a midi-chlorian count with a tricorder?

18. Spartan_029

Spartan_029 Ensign Red Shirt

Somehow I feel like this happens more regularly than just on Anniversary occasions... >_>

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah. Only when the wife's out of town on business and the kids are at sleepovers at friends' houses. You know. Special occasions. "Me" time. ;)

20. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I'd just like to point out that The Wrath of Khan was produced and directed by two people who were not loyal to Trek's original vision, look, style, or storyline, and that movie is considered by the vast majority of fans and critics to be the best of the entire franchise.