Tube Strike Stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Hermiod, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

As most of TrekBBS' Londoners know, the 'blessed' RMT Union has gone on a 48-hour strike from 7pm yesterday evening.

This means that the London Underground is mostly closed. At time of writing, only the Northern Line is operating a normal service, and small parts of the Jubilee, District, Metropolitan, Piccadilly and Victoria lines are running, but overall if you want to use the Tube today, forget it.

So, how are TrekBBS' Londoners getting around today ?

I went to my usual Tube station on the off chance there might be some sort of service, but it was closed. Got a bus to my local mainline station. When I got there, the displays were saying it would be 25 minutes before the next train going in to London arrived. Thankfully, the platform announcer said that was wrong and true enough, a train arrived a couple of minutes later. Even better, it was one that skips out a lot of the smaller stops in between.

Made it in to Liverpool Street at 5:47 and walked towards my office near Southwark station. That took me about 45 minutes. It shouldn't have done but I got turned around a few times. A bit of GPS on my phone helped. I know my way now so getting back there tonight should be a bit easier.

2. Harkley

Harkley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad I don't work in central anymore...

3. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

How often does this happen? It seems, that every time you turn around, they go on strike. That has got to be a PIA

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

They've threatened to a lot, but there hasn't been an actual strike like this for a long time.

5. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

I'll be there in 2 weeks so I hope it's not a problem then.

6. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I'm sure it'll be back to its usual half-arsed service by then.

For those non-Brits who haven't heard it, London Underground (NSFW if you don't have earphones)

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I remember when both the suburban trains and the BVG (underground, tram and bus service) were on strike here in Berlin. A lot of people here don't even have cars. Thankfully, this lasted only for a few days, the period where one of the two was on strike was much longer, though (especially the suburban trains).
    I ended up staying home from university when that happened. I got lucky because on the days I had to work, they weren't on strike.

8. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't used the underground today, thankfully. I did go out in the city though, and didn't notice anything different at all. The streets and were just as crowded as usual. Most people seem to have managed without too big a problem. I wonder if they waved the congestion charge? Since people with cars were forced to drive in...

9. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Y'all can't complain until you have your entire transit system go on strike for 53 days during the middle of an Ottawa winter.

10. An Officer

53 day payed holiday? :D

11. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

:vulcan:

Two words: dog sled.

12. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Were that the case, I think more people would have enjoyed the strike. ;)

13. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm in London and I rarely use the underground.
    I primarily stick to the buses that are cheaper to begin with.

14. curson

curson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was planning to jump on the Piccadilly Line tomorrow on my way to Heathrow to catch my flight to Reykjavik, but renounced it after what I've heard and read about today's situation.
    Don't want to lose my holiday starting, so I booked a car for tomorrow's... hopefully the traffic won't kill me on my way there :P

Talk about timing...

15. Dr. Horrible

Dr. Horrible Admiral Admiral

No problems on the tube for me today - I don't use it to get to work (Blackfriars overground station is 10 minutes walk from my office).

Cor blimey - it's a flower sighting!!!

He's back for revenge, I just know it... :scream:

16. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only for 2 days? That's not too bad. In Los Angeles a few years ago, our MTA went on a strike that lasted months.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

isnt that song the best part of any strike?

that and the TV going on on & on about, like people outside of London gives a damm, somehow we all manage to get to work without a fancy tube system.

18. An Officer

People inside London don't give a damn either, plenty of ways to get around apart from the underground.

I only feel sorry for those England fans who weren't able to get to Wembley stadium to see their country qualify for next year's world cup final. Still a pretty good turn out though. 6-0 win. YEAH!

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm missing something (as usual :lol: ) but what's the point of a strike when the end point is planned in advance? Aren't all strikes supposed to last until one side gives in? :confused: