What happened in the Visitor future?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by JirinPanthosa, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Usually in Star Trek, when we see a glimpse of the future, it doesn't really count. It's just an extension of the logic of the current season.

I don't know how much the writers knew of where they were going at the start of the fourth season, but it seems to me that with the Klingons in control of the station they were able to win the war on their own, perhaps by holding the wormhole so successfully that they were never able to establish the solid military foothold they found on Cardassia.

It almost seems in this episode like the future would have been better off if Ben had died.

Then again given 'The Sisko' and his holy mission, either this really is just another throwaway future like All Good Things, or the Prophets were aware of this timeline and knew how it would turn out.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Worf joining the show and the resulting Klingon conflict interrupted the writers' plans for the Dominion arc, which didn't get into gear again until Season 5 (based on Memory Alpha's background tidbits).

Though from the thread title, I thought you meant a different Visitor's future.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_CD_qlQLwU&list=UUs2U9xRhgxuwhmnH5Q2sYkQ

3. JirinPanthosa

That is true but I did get the impression that they intended to have a Federation/Klingon conflict.

Remember from The Die Is Cast, the shapeshifter said "Now the only remaining threats are the Federation and the Klingons". I think even if Worf never joined the cast, the Dominion would have tried to start a war between them. Just the arc might not have lasted quite as long.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

True, and foreshadows them having imposters in place already.

I always liked Lovok. Definitely low key compared to most of Leland Orser's roles.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, seems Jake ruined a perfectly good timeline that didn't feature a war with billions of deaths.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given how limited our look into the other timeline we can't say for sure it was significantly better. We can't even be sure that the Dominion War didn't happen. The Federation and Dominion could have gone to war multiple times over the 50+ year period, but we never heard about it because to Jake it didn't matter, nothing outside his obsession with freeing his father matter. The Federation and Klingons could have had multiple devastating wars with each other, hell Leyton might have become Emperor of Earth!

At most we can say it is "better" in the sense that Jadzia got to grow old and not be murdered in her 30s.

7. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

Actually it looks to me they got pretty consistent with the very-late 24/25th century future.
    - used the same uniforms
    - there was ongoing cold war with Klingons

I think in 2380's there is some event in prime universe that will restart Fed/Kling relations back to the pre-Narendra III ways with war looming over.
    It nicely clicks with the destruction of Romulus - think of it: Sloan made it clear the Fed and Romulans will be the ones competing for AQ. Now suddenly, Klingons are all over. Could it be that the unknown event is actually Romulus being blown up? With Romulans gone (remember in AGT they were defeated by Klings and there was no more neutral zone, Geordi was making it sound like a big deal as well, when correcting Picard), Klingons would be IMHO the power to compete for the freed-up resources.

Regarding the timeline itself, indeed it looks like the way to the future turned out to be less painful (from the little we have seen), but honestly I do not see much difference between the AGT / Endgame futures and this.

Maybe all these futures (AGT/ENDG/Visitor) are actually the same, proper future timeline, linearly progressing from TNG/DS9, which were all altered by future Janeway bringing Voyager home prematurely (they made quite a big deal of it in DTI if I remember)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. JirinPanthosa

I dunno, with the logic of the Star Trek series I don't see the Klingons going back to war with the Federation anytime soon. But how old was Martok? No way he would have ever given the order to go to war with the Federation, and it didn't seem to me he was over 100, so he could have been the leader for decades.

I suppose maybe when Romulus went bye bye the Klingons probably tried to grab all Romulan territory immediately, which would have had the exact same result as invading Cardassia.