underscore and source music

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by stj, May 19, 2013.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easily the best part of the movie, carrying long stretches.

And I'm sure the source music was done as directed by Abrams. But was it Giacchino who composed the source music?

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Giacchino was the composer, yes.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ Thanks.

I must admit I still wonder why Abrams (presumably) decreed that none of the pop music would have lyrics?

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"Body Moving" and "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven" both have lyrics.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of the source music was done by Giacchino. Apart from the Beastie Boys and Albert King songs, there was just "The Growl" which Giacchino did not write or perform. (And a pop song called "The Dark Collide" which was in the Aussie prints of the film, performed by Penelope Austin.)

5. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

It's actually quite a good soundtrack. I never bought the last soundtrack because, honestly, it was repetitive. This one has more variation, and I love the piano music on "London Calling". However, some of the track names are bad puns. "Kirk Enterprises", "Buying the Space Farm", and "Warp Core Values". Just weird, lol. Still doesn't mean I can't like the music. My favorite track is "Buying the Space Farm", actually :)

6. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's typical of Giacchino to come up with these really weird track titles. I think he got that from Alan Silvestri. The titles may be weird, but the music is awesome.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I downloaded the STiD soundtrack album yesterday and was thrilled to note that the delightful "The Dark Collide" was a bonus track. This was the song I mentioned over in the world premiere thread, and it played on a loop during the live coverage of the red carpet arrivals. On my third viewing of the movie, I realised it is the background music when Scotty and Keenser are in the bar.

http://www.startrek.com/article/australian-singer-lands-song-in-star-trek-into-darkness

8. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Abrams most likely not directing Trek 3 are we likely to see Giacchino back? Hope so.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Abrams and Bad Robot will be producing I see no reason why he shouldn't return.

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

:guffaw:

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Abrams will be stuck with Star Wars till Summer 2015 then I suspect he will want to take a break? Then he starts Star Trek 3 in Jan 2016 ready for Summer 2017. Problem with that schedule is that Paramount want nuTrek 3 to coincide with the 50th anniversary in 2016 and I don't think they are going to wait this time, they will need to be filming in Jan 2015 when Star Wars will be in post-production and Abrams in an editing room.

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is that so funny? He's basically stated it's 99% sure he won't be directing it. Producing it with Bad Robot, absolutely, but he can't direct it in one year post-Star Wars.