ST Phase 2: MIND-SIFTER

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This long-delayed episode seems to finally be well on its way to an imminent release this fall. A recent Facebook posting by its director Mark Edward Lewis indicates it's SFX shots and post-production labour is going well, aiming for a November release :techman:.

Pony Horton seems to be the man in charge of the FX team which also includes Darren Dochterman and Tobias Richter when his insomnia kicks in (lol, or I guess when he's not waist deep in Axanar mayhem).

Looks like picture clean-up, sound design and music edit are chugging along for a late fall release.

With a june shoot and a brisk 5-to-6 months post-production phase, looks like David Gerrold and James Cawley have got their ship running at full steam, thanks to their Kickstarter earlier this year.

With all those great photos posted up a few weeks ago, I'm truly looking forward to this episode...

2. Fez

Fez Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Having been with the production since 2009 and the filming of "Kitumba", I *may* be a little biased when I say, that this episode and shoot was by far the most fun to do... sure it was tiring and hard work but it was fun.

Everyone from the Director to the Actors to the Producers and even the Production Assistants all brought their A-game to the set, and I believe it shows in the product, even just seeing the stills from the set.

3. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

I don't think it is an understatement to say that this is a story that fans have been waiting to see for almost 40 years now. I can't wait to see the results!

4. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

I think I missed something... fans have been waiting for it for the last 40 years?

I try to search for 'mind sifter', I didn't have much luck.
    What I did find where 2 previews on youtube for mind sifter.
    It's probably old footage from a few years ago, because there's another Dr. McCoy and I can see James Cawley as Kirk.

preview 1 (TEMP cut of scene 18):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzwNXLzu5Hw

After searching I found this one already on this forum: A Short Clip from Our Episode "Mind-Sifter" posted by GSchnitzer on Sept. 23th 2011.

preview 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQKsWtM927E

No, I don't want to know anything more....I'll wait.

Patience is a virtue. (If I got the phrase correctly)

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was published in Star Trek: The New Voyages in 1976, which is 38 years ago.

6. ElimGarak.93-99

Thanks, I had no idea.

7. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

You can find a bit of the history of the short story "Mind-Sifter" here:

http://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Mind-Sifter_(Star_Trek:_TOS_story_by_Shirley_Maiewski)

You can find the original version (not the slightly edited version that appeared on the book Star Trek: The New Voyages) here:

http://www.simegen.com/fandom/startrek/showcase/show02/showcase-mind-sifter.html

8. ElimGarak.93-99

Thank you! I read the summary on the fanlore page, now the photo's and scene's make more sense. But I'm not going to read the story yet, probably too many spoilers. ;)

I guess that Star Trek: Phase II used the original story made by Shirley Maiewski, not the edited version, as basis for their script.

9. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure the Phase II team understands why it's hard for us to take these announcements seriously. The last announcement was for an episode we're still waiting for ... what is it, ten months late now? Rather than making excuses for why your episodes are always late, maybe you should stop making announcements like these.

10. CorporalCaptain

No. There's no such thing as late in a fan film. Being released at a time different from what they've reported prior to release is—wait for it—not a problem. Likewise, it's entirely up to the makers of a fan film not to release something that they've previously announced as intending to release.

11. spocksbrain

spocksbrain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Um, are you agreeing with me in a sarcastic way or defending Phase II? Your writing leaves something to be desired, as I genuinely have no idea at all.

12. Fez

Speaking strictly as a fan and not as a crewmember of Star Trek: New Voyages/Phase II, honestly these things take time and there have been many updates as to the status of I believe you are speaking of "The Holiest Thing", the latest of which was reported by the editor as the hope of it being released by the end of 2014, with "Mind-Sifter" coming to us at some point this fall.

They/We have real lives, as you do and often we sacrifice our hobby for things that are more important. Star Trek is a hobby for us, one we love dearly and we want to do right and if it takes a little longer to make it the best it can be, then the Producers will make that call, and we as fans will have to wait.

I understand your frustrations, and I invite you to look at it from the other perspective, from the people who have worked on these episodes, and want to see the fruits of their labor on screen. And that is the only thing they gain for their participation besides new friends.

13. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

A bit more about our trials and tribulations regarding "The Holiest Thing" can be found here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=9440047&postcount=8

Our latest thinking is that "Mind-Sifter" will be released before "The Holiest Thing." After going into the studio in June to shoot the episode, we just jumped right into the post-production of it as well. We sort of got on a roll, and it looks like it should be out soon. (We keep talking about "this fall," and "by the first of the year," so that should give you a time frame for its anticipated release.)

As we get towards the very end of our post-production on "Mind-Sifter" and the workload on it lightens a bit, we'll be able to double back and throw more effort into repairing/improving our edit of "The Holiest Thing." As indicated earlier, it was "easier" (but not less time consuming) to disassemble the episode, fix the individual components, and then reassemble the episode, than it would have been to try and perform all the necessary fixes while still maintaining the edit's integrity. If we had any kind of deadline (other than whatever "deadline" we imposed on ourselves), I'd be more concerned. For what it's worth, we've also been talking about having "The Holiest Thing" released by fall and/or by the first of the year, too. But I know our production pretty well; I'd be surprised if it is released so closely on the heels of "Mind-Sifter." My prediction is more on the order of Valentine's Day of 2015--one year to the day from when we had originally anticipated having it out.

1. Good
    2. Fast ("on time")
    3. Cheap

Pick two.

14. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

Never mind. Greg said it better than I could.

15. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I'm just looking forward to whatever gets released next, whenever it gets released. With luck we might see all three Brian Gross episodes that have been shot in the next few years.

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Fan films are gifts. I urge people who like them to accept them with gratitude and grace and to stop acting as if they are owed to you. They aren't.

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

18. CorporalCaptain

Bingo.

19. Fez

Thank you Barb... Well said!

20. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

^^^ What she said. ;)