Anyone receive "These Are The Voyages..." Season 2 yet?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Mar 25, 2014.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think these started shipping yesterday....

2. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Nope, Nothing yet. But I'm re reading the updated TATV S1 while I wait.

3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't even think I've been charged for it yet.

4. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought shipping was going to be delayed until April 1st.

5. Campe

6. CrazyMatt

Received today. Impressions to follow....

7. stcanada29

stcanada29 Lieutenant Red Shirt

FYI, here is a link to recent post on Gerald Gurian's website featuring a lengthy excerpt from "These Are The Voyages - TOS: Season Two" on the filming of the episode "Metamorphosis": http://www.startrekpropauthority.com...from-marc.html . Gurian precedes the excerpt with a book review which is, to be expected, very favorably disposed towards the book; though I've seen another review (by Wesley Britton of SeattlePI.com) that echoes Gurian's positive sentiments for this second volume. In the "Metamorphosis" excerpt, I think it's interesting how Shatner was unfriendly at first with guest star Elinor Donahue and had to be scolded by Director Senensky over his conduct. I don't recall hearing of any other incident where Shatner was described as displaying open unfriendliness or disrespect towards a fellow actor/actress while filming TOS.

And here are some links to other excerpts from the Season Two book on the books main website www.thesearethevoyagesbooks.com.

This one is for the episode "Amok Time": http://www.thesearethevoyagesbooks.com/the-writing-of-ldquoamok-timerdquo.html

And this one is for "Who Mourns for Adonais?": http://www.thesearethevoyagesbooks.com/who-mourns-adonais.html

8. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An email says mine was shipped 3/29. I didn't spring for the higher cost shipping option since I work at the post office and know better. :devil:

9. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Got mine yesterday and been reading the advanced ebook for a few days.

Much better editing this time around, no typos so far, better pic credits, but not as much detail as season 1...

10. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

My hardcover arrived yesterday; I'm waiting for the ebook to show up on Amazon and planning on reading that version. The "dead tree" version is too bulky for convenient reading...

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I received an email notice that my copy had been shipped. Since I live in Canada I allow for a bit extra time before I start wondering.

12. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

I got mine a few days ago. As a bonus it was signed!

I'm reading/rereading the updated season 1 book, so it will be
    awhile before I get to it.

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm digging the revised volume 1, especially the new info that was missed the first time. I'm glad they sent the books separately when I ordered the bundle, it gives me time to go through it before the second arrives.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Mine has shipped. Maybe it will arrive next week. ..

15. Campe

I got an email saying it shipped on 3/29 but when I go to tracking it, it just says electronic shipping information was received. I ordered Season One too and that took about six days to get here. I guess if I don't get it by Monday, I write an email to the publisher.

16. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got home yesterday and it was waiting on my doorstep. Read the first few chapters last night. Basically a recap of volume 1 and details of the letter writing campaign that was done to help get it renewed for season 2.

17. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went to order it but balked on the $60 shipping, I'm sure I'll give in soon however...

18. Campe

My copy arrived today! Looking forward to digging in.

19. CrazyMatt

I've been reading it for about the past week and will soon post my review in this thread.

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I received mine on Saturday and spent most of my free time this weekend reading it. It's got the same level of detail as the first volume with a few things I've noticed:

He loves to mention Lost in Space and Irwin Allen in general. Negatively, of course, but it pops up a lot.

He supports the "windsock dipped in cement" thing regarding The Doomsday Machine. I still don't buy it, but without actual proof to the contrary....

He is often wrong about the background music, saying Who Mourns for Adonias has a "partial" score with much of it tracked with other episodes. Nope: a full score that Steiner wrote incorporating some of his own themes from Charlie X. However a little from Metamorphosis was tracked when Kirk and the guys try to provoke Apollo ("kill a dear!"). Also, in Amok Time, attributing the act one "Enterprise fanfare" to Gerald Fried when it was (obviously edited) library music from Alexander Courage. Thank you, Original Series Complete Soundtrack Collection.....

He also says NBC did no on-air promotion of the series, but all you have to do it search for Star Trek NBC Promos and you'll find two second season promos. Unless they were third season pieces utilizing second season footage. Anyone?

However, I'm still enjoying the book. It's just distressing to see things that I, as a dude sitting at home in New York, can spot as incorrect without doing any real research. The music is a major weakness in his books.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014