Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I love Ms. Marvel as well. I think it's one of the best new titles out there. Also, I heard it was only expected to go to seven issues and be retired, so the fact that it's still going is a great testament to it's popularity.

I love Kamala, and can't wait to see her interact with more Marvel characters.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last week on Backstrom, the murderer was trying to get sympathy from Backstrom's parter, who happened to also be female...

And your only real question is, "What the fuck is Backstrom?"

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So has this been posted yet:
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/24048/marvel_comics_presents_a-force

Marvel's new all-female Avengers type team.

I'm not sure if the whole "separate but equal" thing is the best answer for gender inequality. I think it would be better if there was just more integration/focus in but maybe this is how they get there? Like Ghostbusters and the rest, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

4. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

They did this with the Brian Wood X-men title as well. Speaking of X-men, there's several in the promo picture as well, although quite a few female X-men have been Avengers as well. It's interesting though that Storm has her 70s-early 80's outfit and Rogue is in her early to mid 90's look. Maybe some of these Avengers are from the other universes or something.

5. Mr. Adventure

I'm so far removed from the current comics continuity at this point but Secret Wars sounds like it might be a fun event. Has anyone gone digital with Marvel? I don't know if I want to add any more to my physical collections but I have a psychological aversion to spending $4 a pop on digital copies. Do they a decent job with them? I assume you're forced into a proprietary reader of some sort.

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A-Force sounds like a hoot. i like G. Willow Wilson and the all women X-Book has been enjoyable.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Fearless Defenders 2.0 just under the Avengers moniker this time.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

But with a worse writing team. Bennett is pretty terrible.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know the writers, but with my favorite Marvel character (She-Hulk) being center of the oic, I can't help but be excited. I liked Fearless defenders, and this could be good, although the X-Men version of an all female team has fluctuated in quality because of the writing.

10. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure, there is a digital subscription archive on the Marvel site called Marvel Unlimited where you pay a monthly or yearly fee for access instead of buying each comic individually (The comics are acessible using a player, and not able to own-It's kind of more of a 'rental'). However, the catch is you have to wait half a year for each current issue to appear on the service. It does however a ton of older stuff available (although there are some gaps)

11. Mr. Adventure

Interesting, the gap kind of stinks but I like the idea of "renting". I have a closet full of long boxes that I very rarely make the effort to go back through. I've started to realize that when someone could have burglarized me months ago without me knowing it that I need to reassess if I'm really collecting or simply hoarding.

12. Guy Gardener

Well this is how it works.

You are hoarding.

But after you die, your children, your mother, whoever (Wives burn comics because they seen the collection as a mistress they are finally allowed to murder.) is going to think that they have a gold mine and try to sell it stupidly and get %10 to %800 less than you could, if you'd sold it all before you died yourself.

Comic shops buy by the pound.

Ebay is really the way to go or even cross reference that against a dedicated website. But you need to explain to your child/mother/wife/husband very slowly that if they let this tick over very slowly, they can make between $200 and a $1000 dollars a week for at least the next ten years and that that is the only way to turn your closet into a four hundred thousand dollars.

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marvel Unlimited is great. Sure you might be six months behind, but the flip side is that you can basically read Marvel's entire line (minus licenced stuff like Star Wars) for less than $70 a year. Plus there's an enormous back catalog. And. If there's anything you truly love and need a hard copy of you can always go out and pick up a nice hardback or trade.

14. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Marvel Unlimited. It's worth the $70 a year.

15. Guy Gardener

How many members of your family do you share your logins with?

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone got to the bottom of why there is no DC Unlimited? They are digitizing and selling old comics but there is equal to the marvel offer.

17. Guy Gardener

If they undercut Marvel, it'll start a spiralling price war. If they let Marvel undercut them, what's the point? They've spent all this capital creating a subscription service that no one can justify affording. If DC price fixes with Marvel, that's antitrust and illegal, and they all go to jail. Right now, the big two are both making money, but if they go to war using identical business models, everyone loses.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<They've spent all this capital creating a subscription service that no one can justify affording.>>

That describes comic books in general to me :lol:

Four bucks for something that takes five minutes to read?! 52 titles a month?!

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah. I understand prices on everything have gone up, but it the prices for new comics are kind of crazy. Luckily I'm only reading older digital stuff, and the prices go down after a few months.

20. Guy Gardener

So this is why the Republicans were against gay marriage and polygamy?

Lobbyist's from Big Comics funnelling billions into GOP Super PACs becuase they were afraid what would happen to the comic book industrial super complex if men were allowed to live together in groups, distributing their purchasing responsibilities and sharing their ongoing comic book collections.

#### you Big Comics.

Do any 4 or five of you want to get married together with me?

Think of how amazing our collective pulllist would be.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In all seriousness can you imagine how hard the divorce lawyers eyes are rolling watching a fanboy and a fangirl arguing about their division of assets when 80 percent of those assets are comic books?