Star Trek end credits and soundtrack discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm ready for the George and Winona Kirk story.

2. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

Enterprising Young Men is probably the best track on the album IMO, although some of the later tracks are good too.

I just wish the part in the Delta Vega base would have been in the OST. I don't think it's there, but the Vulcan theme comes in after Spock Prime tells Kirk to live long and prospoer.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Best TREK soundtrack album since GENERATIONS...at least.

4. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

It is. In a shorter version, at the beginning of 'Does it still McFly?'

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Heh, the heavy beat they use for Nero - in particular the bit about three minutes into "Nero Sighted" reminds me so much of the theme from The Phantom Raspberry Blower Of Old London Town that I can't quite take it seriously...

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Another vote for "Labor of Love". It really worked when it played over the Kelvin's final moments. That scene is probably my favorite part of the movie and the music is largely responsible for that. The segue into the title sequence with "Enterprising Young Men" made it even more perfect.

7. cooleddie74

^
    Right now, you have THE most kickass avatar in the entire BBS.:techman:

8. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great soundtrack.

I bought it on the 4th may, just before the film was released, BUT..

I didnt listen to it until i saw the movie. Obviously, i heard the clips that were online earlier. :p

I like how Giacchino had his OWN Trek theme, much like the past composers; Horner, Goldsmith, Rosenman, Edelman, McCarthy. He incorporated his own theme throughout the movie, making a great debut in the track 'Star Trek' and intertwined throughout.

I also like how we heard a tiny bit of the twinkle theme when we see Kirk and Spock beam onto the Enterprise together for the first time. As if he is showing us the iconic moment where the icons beam together for the first time and incorporates a tiny weeny little bit of courages theme opener as if to say "Here they are, Kirk and Spock" :) It makes an appearence as the two materialize on the pad.
    It makes its appearence right at the end of 'Nero Death Experience' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1mlc-qyLt0

Thats the part i loved, Courage didnt just do the much parodied twinkle in monotone sound, each one twinkled three times, getting quieter. Fantastic, the sound even had the TOS feeling.

The end credits however, is his crowning moment. Not only in the track leading into it 'To Boldly go...' does he put the twinkling and the fanfare, he almost reproduces the sound of the Courage original.

The end credits even have a TOS esque subtle choir in the backgorund, not over powering the orchestral aspect. Fantastic. The iconic choir/female voice is there, but not too much. He also, as said, puts his own Trek theme throughout the end credits, as if his and TOS theme are playing off against each other. and its blended geniusly, if thats even a word. ;)

Giacchinos theme sounds epic on head phones, its so huge sounding. It has chimes, trumpets, bells, bass and above all, an epic sounding. Its also a very traditional sounding theme, done in the way Roddenberry actually wanted the TOS theme to go, a more of a space march than a sci-fi sounding theme. I also loive the fact that he used his Trek theme in the opening instead of shoehoring thte TOS theme in. I respect him for that, he has respect to say "Fuck it, its my theme, its opening the movie with the delta and the title card." :cool:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. Lightinspire

Lightinspire Lieutenant Commander

I thought the Insurrection sound track was the best.

10. Lightinspire

I could be wrong but thru the movie I thought I heard bits and pieces of ALL the music from the different movies in it. Love the end theme, going back to the original.

11. Lightinspire

Winona was Spocks mom. The blonde who plays on the "House" series was Kirk's mother.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Winona Kirk. Keep up.

13. firefox390

firefox390 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I absolutely agree!
    Loved the soundtrack by Giacchino, but the best soundtrack has to be Generations score by Dennis McCarthy.

14. USS Gettysburg

USS Gettysburg Captain Captain

Finally! Filmtracks.com reviewed the Star Trek Soundtrack: http://filmtracks.com/titles/star_trek11.html

And here's our problem and why so many people don't quite like the soundtrack:

15. cooleddie74

Kirk's mother is named Winona Kirk...a carryover from the previously non-canon novels like BEST DESTINY.

16. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this soundtrack but my all time favorite vote still goes to First Contact. {nitpick} I wish this one was longer and used the French Horns more. {/nitpick}