Always wondered?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BillJ, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I always wondered if Pocket Books had considered "re-booting" the original Star Trek prior to learning of Paramount's plans to bring it back to the big screen?

Slow day, what can I say. :lol:

2. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Not a reboot, exactly, but there was going to be a Starfleet Year One series. Sadly, that got killed by Enterprise.

3. BillJ

Yeah... I own Starfleet: Year One in paperback. The question more centered on a reboot centering on Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the Enterprise.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It wouldn't have been Pocket's place. Star Trek is owned by CBS (formerly by Paramount). Pocket is merely licensed by the studio to produce tie-in material that supports and supplements the onscreen property. We tie-in authors are merely guests in someone else's domain.

The closest Pocket has ever come to any kind of "reboot" is Myriad Universes, but those are overtly alternate-history tales.

5. BillJ

So Pocket couldn't have pitched it to Paramount? I'm aware that everything Pocket does falls under scrutiny from Paramount.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started a thread like this ages ago. I thought a reboot of classic Trek could work well as a comic book series - they're always rebooting and reimagining famous characters.

Although now, an ongoing nuTrek comic is clearly the way to go. Shame IDW's idea of a nuTrek comic is "Nero meets V'ger":(

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, see, I wouldn't think of that as a "reboot," just an alternate take. "Reboot" implies that you're "shutting down" the whole thing and starting it over again from the beginning, not just doing an alternative version in parallel.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The term "reboot" is getting tossed about rather recklessly.

Maybe JJTrek would be better described as an ongoing Elseworlds storyline. Or maybe Star Trek's answer to the New Universe?

Paging Jim Shooter....

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It really doesn't even fit the term reboot, since as Spock Prime proves, they didn't actually reboot anything, they simply went into a new universe.

10. Captain Robert April

I'm still nursing the idea for a fanfic where the TOS Enterprise encounters the JJPrise and Spock's assessment of this gargantuan ship and the historical records in its computer...

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The epitome of fannish wish fulfillment:lol:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  12. Captain Robert April

^ I'll have to remember that one...