STID's plot holes unrivaled?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 14, 2013.

1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plot, I guess.

As for the TWOK issue and stranding him on Regula One, I went through this entire thread and I don't think I saw anyone actually quote Khan's speech to Kirk (paraphrasing from memory):

So, yeah, he changed his mind because he realized he could grab Genesis and no one would know he had it. Then he could learn how it worked, build an arsenal of Genesis torpedoes (maybe 72 of them...), and in the words of NuKhan: "... continue the work my people started centuries ago."

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assumption.

Assumption.

Assumption.

Assumption.

For a guy who's supposed to be so smart, he's taking a lot on blind faith.

This is, of course, after his previous assumptions that: A) The Enterprise was mortally wounded, and B) that Kirk was "marooned at the center of the dead planet." The fact was, even had Kirk been marooned there, he'd be stuck in paradise left to spend the rest of his days with his family and one his his best friends. What a dreadful fate...

Really not the poetic justice Khan thought it was because he was (again) assuming shit.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

When does he say that?

4. WarpFactorZ

It was a paraphrase. I haven't had 31 years to commit STiD to memory. The exact quote is:

Khan: Continue the work we were doing before we were banished.

Spock: Which as I understand it involves the mass-genocide of any being you find to be less than superior.

5. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nemesis had more plot holes than STID easily, in fact the entire plot was a plot hole. The thing about Khan in TWOK was that he was obsessed with killing Kirk, the suddenly wasn't and just left him trapped inside a planet. Then, during the climax, he was suddenly obsessed with killing Kirk again, so much so that he walked into the most obvious "its a trap" situation imaginable. It isn't really a plot hole per se, just odd.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    STID's plot holes aren't 'unrivaled'. But with all those plot holes websites nowadays, I guess people simply notice them more. Of course, older movies are already known to us so we tend to forgive their own problems.

Maybe we're all being a bit too critical.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There are websites devoted to nothing but plot holes?

Edit:

Huh, I guess there are. Crazy.

Some of their "plot holes" aren't really plot holes, though.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Board has 23,000+ Members, and only 5 or 10 at most, make a daily habit out of taking every single opportunity (Even in unrelated threads) to express their extreme dislike for The Bad Robot Trek Films and/or The Bad Robot Team?

Now, I'm not saying the rest of the members of the board love the films. It's certainly true that many do express flaws that exist in the films, and they often end up being lumped in as "Abrams Apoligists"

But out of 23,000+ members, only 5 or 10 of them has such intense hatred for the films and Bad Robot personnel that they regularly post that extreme dislike.

Does it really make sense to slam, bait and namecall the posters on a regular basis who don't agree with those 5 or 10

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Plot holes and "tropes". It's interesting but maybe it has a negative impact on how one sees new movies.

10. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I get your point, but do yourself a favour and do not make assumptions regarding the number of Abrams-haters, or else they will slam, bait and namecall you on a regular basis

11. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He had become rusty and, ironically, overly trusting. OTOH Khan's sarcastic comment that they were all "one happy fleet" suggested a norm of high trust was typical.

I believe the battle the crew heard about was not at 001 but far from Earth. It's questionable but not unbelievable that some ships or different ships in multiple waves would hold out for a while.

Not flaws at all. The Borg felt attacking in the present would work and be most valuable and when they were shown to be wrong they felt just pre-FC would give them the best outcome comparing resources gained to the level of resistance.

Not really a plot hole but a contrivance: I hated how in both TSfS and ID the plot depends so much on the Enterprise being crippled after being fired upon a small number of times (there was some attempted explanation in both but it wasn't enough).

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Enterprise in Into Darkness took quite a beating. In The Search for Spock, you had a ship normally crewed by four-hundred plus being operated by three people.

Neither seemed contrived to me. They both seemed in line with how the Trek universe operates.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise in TSFS was already going to be scuttled from the beating she took, or beatings plural since her damage increased 2.5 fold to the hull between movies, for no reason, so when a photon torpedo hit them with practically no shields it destroyed the automation center.

Which meant that even if her systems were still operable, there was literally no computer connection to them or way to make them work.

14. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not an assumption at all. That's what happens, and that's why it happens. Khan was jamming long range communications. Enterprise, and the science team, had no way to communicate with Starfleet. Nobody would know who had taken Genesis once Khan had destroyed Enterprise. No one.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's an assumption.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Assumption and a bad one too:

- Starfleet knows there's an issue at Regula 1. An outpost housing high value research

Now add to that:

- Reliant goes off the grid
    - Enterprise goes off the grid
    - Regula is off the grid.

Starfleet (unless they're completely brain dead) is going to send another ship to see what happened. Kirk still has a full rig of landing party gear. So if a ship did pass by, and he's sending out an SOS that'd be picked up. Plus we don't know what other sort of gear is stored in the Geneis tunnels.

Plus: as a weapon, Genesis is worthless to Khan. He pops off on torpedo...then what? He pretty much gets his ass handed to him. Even the threat is worthless.

17. WarpFactorZ

Khan had a starship as well which, at the time, was basically in top-notch condition. All he'd need to do is pop into orbit above Earth (we know they have no defenses...), deliver the Genesis device, and warp out before anyone is the wiser.

It's not a useless weapon at all if it inflicts mass chaos and terror, even as a once-off. Need I cite examples from Earth's (recent) history?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It works better as a threat than an actual weapon.

Because once you use it, every starship in the Federation is going to be on the hunt for you and you're then at a distinct disadvantage.

19. WarpFactorZ

Presumably Khan saw the potential to build an arsenal of Genesis devices, just as did the Klingons. He didn't just want the device, he wanted the specs too. That clearly indicates his intentions.

It's probably the case that he got the files, but not the hardware. Ransacking Regula I was likely to find the torpedo, not to find files on a computer.

By stealing the torpedo, he was either planning on reverse-engineering it, or he was going to use it. Either way, the Reliant would be hunted down, so your last paragraph holds true regardless of what happened with Genesis.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Given that the secret of Genesis is (implied in STIII) not to be part of the official record, he's still got a one off weapon.