The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Dec 6, 2012.

?

How would you grade [i]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey[/i]?

1. A+

32 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. A

52 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. A-

38 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. B+

28 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. C

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. D+

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Apparently Galdriel can read minds - I wondered if Elrond finds it a kind of an annoying trait for a mother-in-law to have.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

No problem. I remember specifically one of the female writers saying something to the effect that, because of momentum, they couldn't honor the time gap. They found other ways to honor Tolkien to the letter in such details as costume design, but with the momentum needed to move a feature film forward, they had to take liberties in the narrative here and there.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading the timeline in the ROTK index, and it's ridiculously spread out. Basically one event happens, a century passes, then someone reacts to that event. It definitely needs some tightening up.

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Saruman was right about Gandalf's love of the Longbottom Leaf. Probably right about Radagast and the mushrooms, too.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Saruman was a closet leaf-smoker and a total hypocrite.

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Very true. And I think that the way Lee played it in this movie was that Saruman had basically already defected to Sauron's side and was completely manipulating the others.

7. Set Harth

Also, I just rewatched the Colbert Report episode with Andy Serkis from Hobbit week, and I noticed that Serkis says there is 60 years' difference between LOTR Gollum and The Hobbit's version.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To the extent that the seen is to be read like that, I dislike it. The fact that Saruman changed sides works best when there is a time when he wasn't for the forces of evil. He's a Wizard who everyone expects to be able to call on only to find that he's betrayed you. I read the scene as him just being skeptical, but I wish he was even a bit more "good guy," just to contrast it with what happens later.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I agree, it's pretty weird in some spots. Particularly Gandalf waiting ninety years between obtaining the map and key to Erebor's secret door and then giving them to Thorin. I guess you could handwave it away by saying his divine nature enables him to know when it's the proper time to do something, but still. :shrug:

10. Set Harth

I'm afraid his skepticism is not genuine, but I don't think "defected to Sauron's side" accurately describes the situation at the time of The Hobbit either.

In a sense, I think the reluctant dynamic we see with Saruman in AUJ's White Council scene is cribbed from a meeting which took place earlier in the book chronology. From the 2851 entry in the "Tale of Years" ( LOTR's Appendix B ):

The White Council meets. Gandalf urges an attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. (*) Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields.

(*) It afterwards became clear that Saruman had then begun to desire to possess the One Ring himself, and he hoped that it might reveal itself, seeking its master, if Sauron were let be for a time.

So it seems probable that AUJ's Saruman only feigns skepticism at Sauron's return because he is already looking for the Ring.
    ( However, it should be noted that the 2850 entry had said "Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron", while in the film timeline he is uncertain even in 2941. )

In the 2941 ( year of The Hobbit ) entry we have:
    The White Council meets; Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur, since he now wishes to prevent Sauron from searching the River.

Later in 2953:
    Last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman feigns that he has discovered that the One Ring has passed down Anduin to the Sea.

And it is only in "c.3000" that we get to the following:
    Saruman dares to use the palantir of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has the Ithil Stone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  11. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Saw The Hobbit last night with my brother...
    We both liked it...
    In 2 years, in 2014, a cinema close-by will do a 2 day trilogy marathon:
    day 1 The Hobbit trilogy, day 2 The Lord Of The Rings trilogy...
    It's pretty much garantueed that we will be going then...

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might do a LOTR marathon tomorrow... couldn't imagine watching The Hobbit Trilogy EE's with that in a few years. It would literally take a whole day.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Fascinating. Given the compressed timeline, this would better fit the later time when Saruman authorized the attack rather than the earlier overruling. That being said, it isn't inconsistent with the Appendices, so I guess that'll warm me up a bit more to it. Now my only complaint is that it sucks the life out of the movie ;)

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I read an article about the soundtrack of An Unexpected Journey, and it stated that when we hear the Nazgul theme at the final confrontation between Thorin and Azog, it's absolutely intended and hints at something bigger that will be part of the next two films. Wondering what that would be. Azog already working for Sauron/Necromancer?

15. Set Harth

We'll probably have seen both of those instances by the time this trilogy is over, and they will indeed have been compressed into a much tighter timeframe. But in both cases it seems that Saruman was plotting to acquire the Ring.

I have no idea. Azog kept alive by black magic, perhaps?

16. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somehow I had gotten the notion that the Council was confused over whether the Necromancer was Sauron, or the Chief Nazgul/Witch-king of Angmar. Judging from the quotes from the chronology apparently not. But it still seems logical enough to confuse the issue for them so they don't look completely stupid.

17. Set Harth

Well, way back in TA 1100 it says:
    The Wise ( the Istari and the chief Eldar ) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgul.

This is later known to be Sauron, who "retreats and hides in the East" in 2063, only to return in 2460.

( Also, several Nazgul are sent to reoccupy Dol Guldur when Sauron "declares himself openly" in Mordor in 2951. )

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Thanks for the quote.

19. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Loved the film, exceeded my expectations! My 12 year old son loved it to, his 62 year old uncle hated it, "Not enough action, I prefer Willis, Stallone, Cruise or Arnold." Yeah, well, that's not exactly what the Tolkienverse is all about, is it, LOL!

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Saw it in in 3D last night. I enjoyed it and gave it a B+. It never quite reached the heights of the previous trilogy, and it was repetitive. You could tell that several elements were shoehorned in and really unnecessary in my opinion. There's no reason this movie couldn't have been about 2 hours and more effective.

RAMA