26 March, 2015: 10th Anniversary of the broadcast of 'Rose'

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They keep promising. In fact, the last time it was announced, they actually claimed to have a 13 episode order for SyFy, but, haven't heard anything about it in a long time, so, it seems to have vanished again

2. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Hehe, I remember myself and a bunch of my internet friends were in an IRC channel. The BBC simulcast the show on the internet and the BBC internet feed "accidentally" went world wide. Living in the US I never thought I'd get to see it, but I did. Then I remember that they had an audio problem where audience noise from, I believe it was "The Graham Norton" show, bled through for a few seconds early in the episode when Rose and The Doctor were sneaking around the basement of the building where she worked. I remember thinking "wow, what a strange time for noises like that". It wasn't until afterwards I found out what it was. It's has been a while hasn't it?

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I saw the leaked Canadian version complete with the original theme music, I rememberthinking it all felt very short and the story went exceptionally fast.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, now that you mention it, I remember thinking how short a single episode was, after having been a fan since the early 1980s of the Classic Show, and being programmed in my viewing, for most Stories to be a minimum of 4x 25 minute episodes.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and then that following episode had the stretched out flap of skin that called itself the "last pure human" and other aliens that were just as silly as Mickey getting eating by a bin.

I am still relatively new to Who, although I've immersed myself in it as much as I can since finally getting on board. My first episode was the 50th anniversary episode, "The Day of the Doctor". I've been told that this was a bad place to start, but I tend to disagree as it is what sold me on the concept. I might have written the show off as too silly just based on those first two episodes if I didn't know where it was heading.

ETA: Don't get me wrong-- by the end of Series One, I was completely sold on Eccelston. "Dalek", "The Doctor Dances", "The Parting of the Ways" all made up for any growing pains the show may have had.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Happy 10th anniversary NuWho!

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Why on Earth would McGann be in it? ;)

Blakes 7 can only come back if I get to be showrunner!!:scream::angel:

Plus of course I have a nagging fear about how they might handle it. I still don’t think a reboot is necessary, a continuation would work just as well and allow for the odd cameo.

The new show sometimes still lacks that scene/mood setting that the classic series could do so well, but on the flipside we don’t have whole episodes that are capture/escape padding so sauce for the goose Mr Saavik :)

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Because he can be....and it'd be cool....and we probably wouldn't get Eccleston.

If they could also get Hurt, it could be The Five Doctors²

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I'd love to see something like that but it doesn't look like we're going to get anything dramatic to mark the 10th anniversary. Just video messages and the like from cast and crew past and present.

Didn't RTD say that he was asked to write something for the 10th anniversary but that he declined, pointing out that you couldn't really celebrate a 10th anniversary less than 18 months after marking the 50th?

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wonder if there'll be an episode or a moment in series 9 that calls back to Eccleston's series? (hopefully not a Slitheen cameo)

12. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to agree with him. While it's great that RTD and his team opened the door for the show to still be running today (and at least a nod to Series '1' in an upcoming episode would be cute), the show is really 52 years old. RTD built on what had come before and proved that the programme shouldn't have been run into the ground and axed in the first place, but its birthday is and always will be the 23rd of November. The 50th celebrations did a lot to bridge the gap between the original run and the revival, and drawing a distinction between the two once again would only serve to undermine that.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I never really considered a gap between the classic era and the modern era (aside from the number of years that had passed). "Rose" i think managed to a good job of introducing DW to a new audiance whilst managing to be somewhat true to it's roots. Besides many of the people who would be tuning into watch DW when it returned would have been kids when DW was first on and no doubt many had kids of their own.

14. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

This nicely sums me up too. Though I only became a Whovian about 2 or 3 years ago as the hype train for the 50th started, and I dipped into Classic Who for a sample of each Doctor. Now I'm making my way through that, and Big Finish, and I still feel a newbie.

I hope they do something in the new series to mark it.