[US] Netflix now has Season 7!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by shivkala, Jun 14, 2014.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(Hopefully this link works)

Netflix has updated with Season 7. It still doesn't have "The Day of the Doctor" or "The Time of the Doctor," though it does include "The Snowman."

Happy viewing (and remember the tissues before hitting play on "The Angels Take Manhattan"!).

2. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Finally!!! I wish they'd update their classics too..

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I noticed this yesterday.

Fair warning: it has "The Snowmen" listed at the end of Season 7 instead of the beginning where it belongs. That's one pretty important to watch in the correct order as it sets up Clara's whole arc.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I've recently got into the series using Netflix. The classics were easy to watch, I like that style of television, but even though the newer series was written in the 2000's, it feels so much like 90's television (not a compliment).

I have a feeling it does but tell me it gets better anyway.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It does. The first season or two of the new series does have a pretty dated look to it, but the quality definitely improves.

6. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The first four seasons of the new series I believe were shot in video (similar to the old series) but it was modified or something to give it a more filmish look (not exactly sure what the process was). So that's why it sort of has a dated look.

David Tennant's last three stories (told in three 'specials') were filmed in HD, and this has continued into the Matt Smith era. (The spinoff Torchwood though I think was HD from the start).

The first season has it's rough spots. Chris Eccleston was a great Doctor but some of his stories and monsters were a bit silly (such as the Slitheen), and the special effects-although better than the old show-still need some work. The effects improve a great deal in the second (Tennant's first) season. The music also improves a great deal from "Rose"'s wacky adventure music.

Also the show becomes increasingly more comfortable with using the classic series mythology as the seasons go on, especially in episodes such as "School Reunion".

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It is? I'm looking at the list right now and 'The Snowmen' is right where it belongs, after 'Angels Take Manhattan.'

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe they fixed it, but when I checked it the other day it was in the wrong place.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the insight. I'll work my way through it. I'll also ease my way out of this thread so you guys can feel free to talk about season 7

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just looked at it again last night, and indeed the order has been fixed.

However, the picture they're using for "The Bells of St. John" is actually a screencap from "The Rings of Ahkaten." :p

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

More specifically, the first four seasons were shot on DigiBeta and processed through a Snell & Wilcox Alchemist conversion system for deinterlacing and post-processing -- but I don't believe the Alchemist was actually used until the second season, which is why Eccleston's lone season has a somewhat cheap digital video look. The reason it took so long to move to HD was that The Mill was already working near or at capacity, and rendering HD-quality effects would have completely boned their workflow.

For the initial move to HD, I believe they first started shooting with Sony F35s, which are still digital but have a full-frame 35mm sensor. Season 7b and "The Day of the Doctor" switched to Arri Alexas (which had previously been used for the North American filming in season 6), and I believe that hardware is being used for season 8.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it makes you feel better, RoJoHen, I noticed the same thing when I first saw Netflix added it. At the time I was using the Netflix app on my phone. I thought about including the warning you gave, but I decided to check the website and found that they did, indeed, update it to put "The Snowmen" in its correct spot. I thought maybe it was a quirk of the app, but it seems that Netflix did put it in the wrong spot. Not that I can blame them, as it's the first Christmas special to air in the middle of a season.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It still bugs me that "Planet of the Dead" and "A Christmas Carol" aren't available on Netflix. I mean, without "Planet of the Dead," the whole Tennant Farewell Tour feels incomplete, especially since that's the episode that introduces the whole "He will knock four times" thing.

14. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here in Canada, our Netflix has had the first half of Series 7 for quite a while now (including the "Snowmen"), but only just recently added the 2nd half with Clara. It's been fun finally being able to revisit those episodes.

15. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

"Day of the Doctor" & "Time of the Doctor" have now been added, they have also FINALLY added "Planet of the Dead" & "A Christmas Carol" which for some bizarre reason were never available before.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Netflix US have The Waters Of Mars and The End Of Time?

Netflix Netherlands doesn't have Planet of The Dead, Waters of Mars and The End Of Time. Which sucks, since I'm really getting into this show, and working through season 4 now. :(

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Just start using a VPN - I use unblock.us but there are various free ones - very easy to set up.

18. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Yeah they have every episode now.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hm, gonna check the Dutch version now, maybe some stuff has been updated aswell.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh good! It ruins the whole Tennant arc when you don't get the "He will knock 4 times" foreshadowing in that episode.