Where did Spock go?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, May 16, 2010.

1. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Sharr Khan:

I kind of figured. But I was erasing any doubts you might have had in my post, seeing you posted it right after my fanon defense.

Well, I realize it is just fiction. So I never get worked up or stressed over it ever. Then again, I hardly get stressed about anything. I am pretty laid back and cool most of the time.

In fact, I actually find it quite relaxing and fun when I come up with fanon in defense of Star Trek's canon. But everyone is different of course.

2. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

I know that I'm not going to convince anyone who disagrees with me in my post, but whatever.

As far as Spock not knowing that Kirk was 30 - 35, well, we ARE talking about a man who had just been thrown back in time, captured, exiled to a frozen wasteland, witnessed the destruction of his home planet, and THEN encountered a vastly younger version of his best friend. After all that, I think I personally could excuse a couple of years! So I believe that Spock Prime IS TOS Spock, as is the intent of the creators, and is predominantly (aside from one or two things {seriously, you point out "Kirk's not Captain?", and not Scotty's Transwarp beaming, something that's never happened in any of Trek until 09?}) borne out.

As far as the destination universe is concerned, I personally feel that the Kelvin's universe is a Parallel Universe to the original. There are too many differences for it to be the same universe to me, such as the size of the Kelvin.

I can excuse a few continuity errors, as long as I enjoy the film. And I DID enjoy the film! I'm sorry you didn't!

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Another one who believes Nero and Spock arrived in a parallel universe before the tampering started!
    Clearly Spock is not the same as he was in the two part Unification. how much of that is due to age, lack of maintaining the Disciplines, destruction of Vulcan, and exile to an icy misnamed body is up for discussion.

4. Locutus

Locutus Captain Captain

My Grandfather wasn't the same man he was in the last few years of his life.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although Spock had been though hell, he should have a few years left. He should be about 160 in STXI - but don't Vulcans live to be around 250?

Or would Spock's half-human heratige limit him to to the 150ish Trek human lifespan?

6. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In practice, he'll live as long as the writers need him around. He doesn't just have his Vulcan-human hybrid status, he also has a rejuvenated body from The Search for Spock and plenty of wacky things that have happened to him in his travels since then.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't "cut both ways." Putting a couple "not's" in Dennis's quote doesn't make this "new" quote true in the slightest.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Dennis likes his statements to seem like they're assertions of fact. Well, everyone has their dreams... :lol:

The idea of the altered timeline is to essentially wipe clean previous continuity. To wit: it never happened. Well, fine, in fairness as a reboot it can do that. And it doesn't matter who likes to assert and/or believe old Spock is TOS Spock because as far as I'm concerned ST09 didn't happen as far as TOS is concerned.

And when ST09 is a largely forgotten project from many summers past TOS will still be there as the one that still matters.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course not, but if facts and/or logic are given any weight at all the premise that Spock comes from some "other alternate universe" collapses immediately...so why not resort to nonsensical word games of this kind?

10. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Nonsensicle word games are when they say they will respect canon and then trample all over it.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  11. Admiral Buzzkill

Oh, they respected canon - just not slavishly.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

They respected canon like a rapist respects his victim.

14. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Oh good grief! :rolleyes:

15. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

"Matters"? To who?

I badly want to say "get a life" right now. Wait... I just did.

In what way is this 60's television show going to "matter" to anyone but incredibly bitter fanatics like you?

The original Star Trek show does not and will not "matter" to anyone other than those who follow it a little too obsessively. Ditto with the spin-offs, the movies that followed it, and the new Star Trek movie.

They're all equal in this regard: They do not matter, people do not care. 99% of people do not care about the new Star Trek film anymore than they care about The Dark Knight at this point. Which, I would imagine, is probably still more than they care for 60's Star Trek.

Why? It's a television show, therefore not worth the effort.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly. These things matter to those of us who like them. Investing any negative feelings toward versions of them or people who disagree about them is...perhaps the purview of intense fandom, but a waste of time and life nonetheless.

That the current movie is a success and that the overwhelming majority of Star Trek fans like and accept it has required continual moving of the goal posts for "success" on the part of those who disdain it. When we've reached the point of "in the long run you'll be proven wrong and we'll be proven right, just you wait and see" it's pretty clear that the attacks on the thing have just run completely out of ammunition.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

TOS inspired a lot of viewers and was assimilated into the broader collective consciousness. It is a visual document and a glimpse into another time. It shows how some ideas and concepts are timeless and universal. And it is immediately recognizable in many respects. Future generations will see that just as successive generations of viewers have. Yes, it's a television show, but if it didn't matter on some level we wouldn't be here debating it after forty years.

ST09 will be just another barely remembered summer flick with no depth or redeeming value other than a waste of two hours you'll never get back.

I always marvel at those who profess to like something yet never miss a chance to demean it. It is a very recognizable behaviour of what's known as a self loathing fan.

18. Twain

Twain Captain Captain

*Applauds*

19. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, to you, it is those things.

To lots more people, it's a 60's television show, and does not and will never "matter" in the manner you describe.

Again, to you.

To lots more people, it was an enjoyable movie and they were happy with the result, moreso than had they sat and watched episodes of that old series that they "barely remember".

Refusing to obsess over it to the level that you do does not demean it. It's a good television show. However, even good television shows do not matter. Star Trek 09 also does not matter. It's a movie.

Star Trek 09 matters to most people as much as TOS did. That is to say... not at all.

This much is clear though: You are that outcast fan who wanted to know the combination to Kirk's safe, 20 years older and a hell of a lot more bitter for it.

20. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

'barely remember' ? May you be remembered as well as other cultural icons as Shirley Temple and the Beatles. Talk about what doesn't matter.