"In The Pale Moonlight" Line-by-Line

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by LeadHead, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

SISKO: If you'll come with me, I'll show you to your quarters.

2. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

VREENAK: I look forward to seeing your station, while it's still here, that is. The way the war's going with the Federation, it may not be around much longer.

[Wardroom]

(Romulan ale is being imbibed.)
    VREENAK: A fair approximation. Somewhat lacking in aroma. Real kali-fal should forcibly open one's sinuses well before the first sip.

3. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SISKO: We don't have much experience in replicating Romulan beverages. Of course, all of that would change if we became allies instead of cold warriors.

4. Alienesse

VREENAK: You are persistent, Captain, I'll grant you that, but dogged determination isn't enough to change the reality of your situation. Time is definitely not on your side. The Dominion shipyards are working at one hundred percent capacity. Yours are still being rebuilt. The Dominion is breeding legions of Jem'Hadar soldiers every day. You're experiencing a manpower shortage. But most important, the Dominion is resolved to win the war at any cost. You and I both know the Federation has already put out peace feelers. Now, in all candor, if you were in my position, which side would you choose?

5. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SISKO: I'd pick the side most likely to leave us in peace when the dust settles. Maybe you're right. Maybe the Dominion will win in the end. Then the Founders will control what we now call Cardassia, the Klingon Empire and the Federation. So, instead of facing three separate opponents with three separate agendas, you'll find yourselves facing the same opponent on every side. There's a word for that. Surrounded.

6. Alienesse

VREENAK: It really is a good replica. The aroma's starting to grow on me. For a moment there I almost forgot that it wasn't the real thing, but only for a moment. You make some very good points, Captain, but it's still all speculation and theory. Nothing that would warrant abrogating our treaty and plunging the Empire into war.

7. BlueStuff

SISKO: What if I told you that the Dominion is planning a sneak attack on the Romulan Empire at this very moment?

8. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

VREENAK: I'd want proof.

9. BlueStuff

[Holosuite]

(Another part of the recording is running.)
    WEYOUN: And with the Cardassian Fourth Order protecting their flank, the Twenty third Jem'Hadar division will begin its thrust across the Glintara Sector. They should begin the invasion of Romulus itself on the following day. Once we've taken the homeworld, organised resistance will crumble when outlying systems and colonies begin looking out for themselves. Consolidation of the entire Empire will take three months at most.

10. Athena28

DAMAR: What if the Romulan fleet reacts faster than you're anticipating? What if they pull all of their forces away from the Federation border at the first sign of our attack?

11. Enterprise1981

WEYOUN: I place my faith in the Founders. They say that the Romulans are not ready for war and will not react fast enough once it begins. Now, do you wish to dispute their judgment?

12. BlueStuff

DAMAR: No, of course not. I serve the Founders.

13. Athena28

WEYOUN: As do we all. Meeting adjourned.

14. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

(Up comes a Cardassian logo, then the room is empty except for the two spectators.)

VREENAK: I'd like to examine that data rod.

15. BlueStuff

[Sisko's quarters]

SISKO: So all I could do was wait and see how masterful Tolar's forgery really was. So I waited. Tried to catch up on my paperwork. But I found it very difficult to focus on criminal activity reports, or cargo manifests, do I went back to pacing and staring out of the window. I'm not an impatient man. I'm not one to agonise over decisions once they're made. I got that from my father. He always says worry and doubt are the greatest enemies of a great chef. The soufflé will either rise or it won't. There's not a damn thing you can do about it, so you might as well just sit back and wait and see what happens. But this time the cost of failure was so high I found it difficult to follow his advice.

[Corridor]

SISKO [OC]: If Vreenak discovered that the data rod was a forgery, if he realised that we were trying to trick them into war, it could push the Romulans even farther into the enemy camp. They could start to openly help the Dominion. If worse came to worst, they could actually join the war against us. I had the distinct feeling that victory or defeat would be decided in the next few minutes.

16. Enterprise1981

[Wardroom]

(Sisko enters, Vreenak dismisses his guards.)

VREENAK: It's a FAAAAKE!!!!

17. BlueStuff

:rommie: (I wondered who would get THE line)

[Sisko's quarters]

SISKO: So it blew up in my face. And all the lies and the compromises, the inner doubts and rationalisations, all for nothing. Vreenak was furious. I can't say I blamed him. I'd have reacted the same way. After telling me in no uncertain terms that he would expose this vile deception to the entire Alpha Quadrant, he got back in his shuttle and headed home. There didn't seem to be anything more to do.

[Wardroom]

SISKO [OC]: So I went back to work. Two days later, I got the news.

18. Enterprise1981

BASHIR: No one for me today.

19. BlueStuff

DAX: I had one. Maria Tatalia, wounded in action.

20. Enterprise1981

BASHIR: Friend?