Do you want to see the Enterprise in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by MST1987, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MST1987

MST1987 Cadet Newbie

I am here writing to tell you about some excellent news. Although the Death Star petition failed (because it was...absurd) there is a far less absurd petition in the works currently!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...-enterprise-interplanetary-spaceship/DB07k8jF

"We have within our technological reach the ability to build the 1st generation of the USS Enterprise. It ends up that this ship’s inspiring form is quite functional. This will be Earth’s first gigawatt-class interplanetary spaceship with artificial gravity. The ship can serve as a spaceship, space station, and space port all in one. In total, one thousand crew members & visitors can be on board at once. Few things could collectively inspire people on Earth more than seeing the Enterprise being built in space. And the ship could go on amazing missions, like taking the first humans to Mars while taking along a large load of base-building equipment for constructing the first permanent base there.

For more information see BuildTheEnterprise.org."

Please sign this! Its so important! Let's see an Enterprise in our lifetime, even if it's only sub-light...

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We should have elected Newt Gingrich. He wanted a moon base, so he might go for this... of course I could see him going for the Death Star too. ;)

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL. Spend billions building a "life boat" version of the Enterprise, when the money is so desperately needed for far more practical purposes. Petitions like this are like playing the lottery. "You gotta dream!" But then you've also got to wake up in the morning. ;)

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

No.

One for all the reasons Gary7 said, but also because it was kind of ruin the myth.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

This is less absurd?

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Let me know when we get a viable warp drive and reliable teleportation technology, and then I'll consider the petition.

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Heck, let me know when we get artificial gravity.

8. Melakon

Good catch. So it's still absurd.

9. R. Star

I'd be happy with the next generation of space shuttles.

10. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

And inertia dampers that can counteract the sudden acceleration to faster-than-light speeds.

And navigational deflectors that repel bits of dust from penetrating the hull and turning the ship into Swiss cheese.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Artificial gravity that is only deck by deck and doesn't somehow pancake all the decks "down" on top of each other.

12. MST1987

MST1987 Cadet Newbie

This is less absurd, because if you actually see the website in question, you'll see that there is engineering and all kinds of serious plans as to how this ship might work. IE Artificial gravity via a super-rotational structure.

13. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

LOL

14. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

This is a cool idea in theory, but it's just not practical. I want the Enterprise to be more than just a glorified delivery vehicle for colonies on the Moon and Mars. Colonies like that would be cool and all, but I can't imagine what possible benefits that we would obtain from them at this point in our technological development that could possibly justify the massive costs involved. After all, it's not just the construction cost, you also have to keep all of these facilities maintained and supplied. It would become a massive financial drain for very little return.

Now, if we ever can identify a planet around a nearby star that is actually capable of supporting human life, then I think proposals like this will be more realistic. If we are going to build the Enterprise, then I want it to have someplace to go - someplace to explore. Not just hauling supplies to Mars.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

CANON VIOLATION.

It was built in Iowa. I get to ride a bike up and gaze at it wistfully or I'm not interested:p

16. Melakon

And are we talking Kirk's Enterprise, or one of the bloody A, B, C, D, Z's?

And technically, we've already gotten our Enterprise with the original shuttle testbed.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

18. R. Star

N00b the Enterprise was built at the San Fransisco Fleet Yards. :p

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Apparently that facility is in Iowa.

20. MST1987

MST1987 Cadet Newbie