Yourself in Star Trek Online?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Methos, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Little challenge here for the artistic types who play STO, create a new character in the game, but instead of a random alien or anything, create one that is YOU...

create the 'avatar' as close to you as is possible using the ST:O modifications and post them here... should be fun to see what people come up with for themselves :)

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

M

2. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. That's funny. The last Admiral I leveled up was supposed to look like me. I'll post a screen shot when I get home if I remember.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

4. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Recently got the game after F2P, first character I made was supposed to be me, I'll post him probably by monday with a shot of me for comparison.

5. Rocketeer

6. Darth Thanatos

Darth Thanatos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sorry, but the settings don't allow to make an avatar as fat as RL me. :D

Or with a black moustache and white beard, as I currently sport. Or glasses.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Can't get to STO from work, but my main toon, Scout (shocker, right?) pretty much looks like me...

8. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My toon named Scout (<--- see avatar) doesn't look anything like me - which is probably a good thing. :rommie:

9. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

I haven't played in a couple months. I'm totally going to do this today though. Woo.

Edit: Fun. Here we go.

Difficult because they do not have my hairstyle. This was as close as it gets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Almost as cute as the real thing. :techman:

11. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Haha... thanks.:p

Something about the face shape is a bit off. I can make a character look exactly like anyone else... but I always fail at myself.:lol:

12. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just got back into STO recently, what with the 2nd Anniversary (and the free Odyssey-class ship!), the transition to Free-to-Play (which helps, since paying a monthly sub hurts my wallet), and improvements like the new Featured Episodes, the MVAM Prometheus-class*, the awesome Defiant interior set, the Duty Officer system, etc. It's gotten a lot better, and a lot Trekkier, to say the least.

Anyhoo, my primary character (not my Cardassian/Klingon characters, obviously) is meant to be me, or as close as possible using the character creator. Got pretty close, IMO, and in a funny way, I look more like my character now than I did two years ago. Gym sessions and a sharp haircut will do that to a guy... ;)

[​IMG]

And no, I'm not the comely Andorian with the bangs - that'd be my 1st Officer. I'm the short, bewildered blonde guy with the Lt. Cmdr. pips, looking just as uncomfortable in a uniform as I would in real life...

*got one myself - the newly-minted U.S.S. Ajax. It's a fantastic ship - makes mincemeat out of most threats, and it's fast. Lots of fun to fly - even took down a Borg flagship yesterday, which made me all kinds of proud. :bolian:

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy Shit, your graphic settings are impressiv.

14. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ No kidding - I have everything set to full and I can't get images like that.

15. Methos

[​IMG]

Section 31's newest recruit :D

M

16. Excelsior

Excelsior Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gee, thanks! That said, in the interests of full disclosure, I did whack all the graphics settings up to full, to the point where my PC ground to a halt almost entirely. Fine for screenshots, but terrible for gameplay, where it takes a good hour to walk around a room due to the lag...

...at least, until recently - I don't know what Cryptic's done, but since returning to the game this year, I can turn everything up, and it all work perfectly. Haven't needed to set lighting to 'low' once - it's all really smooth, even in combat or crowded social zones.
    Not bad, considering that officially, STO shouldn't work on my machine at all - because apparently, my graphics card isn't up to spec... ;)

Seeing as that 'photo' is almost a year old (yikes! :cardie:), here's a more recent shot - making good use of the SPIFFY new Defiant interior:

[​IMG]

In a word: YUM. :drool:

(...by which I'm referring to the interior, not my XO - minds out of the gutter, people!)

17. Methos

you're the second person i've spoken to who said the game has actually got 'faster' with regards to graphics settings...

strange... if anything, i've noticed the graphics have actually gone down in the last few weeks in regards to quality... i've got everything ramped up to full, the entire spectrum of options literally, and i swear the game looked better a few weeks ago than it does now

M

18. Darth Thanatos

Darth Thanatos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Could it be that Cryptic has downgraded the graphics so they look uglier to top end video card users, but allow more video cards to play in high settings?

I know that one of the things that pissed me most was discovering that the texture of my Star Cruiser had gone from almost black to a dull grey that annoys me to the point of avoiding using the ship as much as I can. Instead I use the Odissey, which compared to the SC look is "meh" at most.

19. Rocketeer

Something has happened because the graphics now look better on my laptop.

20. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm thinking of trying out the DX11 settings to see if I can get a better screen shot out of it. There's also a command you can use to make screen shots render at double or tripple your current resolution (you can do higher, but it's not recommended).