Is Janeway an example of the 'mother bitch woman in power' trope?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Destructor, Nov 27, 2014.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you mean? How does it make me sound young to have no idea what is going on?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"TV is how old people watch Youtube."

You are also young because You don't listen to music on cassettes.

If you want to sound like an obnoxious hipster deuchbag, you can say "I am Post-Television".

3. teacake

Actually what happened was I stepped on the plug thing that the tv connection goes into about 7 years ago and it broke and since it cost 80 bucks to get someone to come out and redo it I put it off and then all of a sudden I realized I didn't need or miss it. And now I'm glad I never see commercials or get sucked into something I didn't consciously choose to watch.

4. Guy Gardener

Is it a flatscreen?

I am using a 43 inch flat screen for a monitor and it awesome, and you laughed how much in 2010 while everyone else in Oz was concerned about the National Analogue Switchoff?

5. teacake

The tv is an old elephant head tv, my monitor that I watch stuff on is uhh.. flat and 24 inches.

6. Guy Gardener

I looked up the term "Mother Bitch" on Urban dictionary becuase I've not heard it before or it's never really registered as anyhitng special when I have heard it before...

I thought Mother Bitch meant overMothering, you know S-Mothering.

But apparently alone it is an insult/expletive comparable to "motherfucker" and short for the mother of all bitches.

Originally I also thought that "bitch woman" should have been a compound word until I realized that "woman in power" is a problem that has been synonymous with Janeway in since day one. Thing is that we don't assume that she is bad at her job because she is a woman, I know that she is bad at her job because I've been watching reruns for nearly 20 years.

This definition below next seems outrageously on the mark with what Kathy's detractors are want to say.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mother Bitch

When Ivanova had her little speech before she went to ramming speed and died, it was only the PG rating on Babylon 5 that stopped her from saying "I am the mother of all bitches" which is some thing contextually appropriate that you can say to another person who you are about to murder.

7. Guy Gardener

Yes, yes! You showed it to us once to prove that I am a dickhead.

I am beginning to dodder.

8. teacake

That one that I bizarrely found a pic of online died this year and was replaced with the replacement elephant head tv, from the hard rubbish like its predecessor (yes I am proud of never having purchased a new tv in my life, because you have to take pride in freegan frugalities especially when you have accomplished nothing else). Hoarding tv's is useful.

9. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is Queen Bitch Supreme. :borg:

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst I would've cast Captain Kathryn Janeway as being in her mid-late 20's, the character - as actually presented to us - was not what anyone could call a "bitch woman in power" trope. But she was motherly ... in many ways. One such example was her bond with Kes, who loved Janeway, very much and seemed to view her as her "play mum." I thought that Mulgrew had a very good handle on the part and that she played it with the right tonality. And I found Janeway to be competent and respected - even loved - by her crew. Beyond that, the only thing I can really fault The Good Captain with was the way in which she'd led Chakotay on. And on. But that's another matter ...

11. Guy Gardener

The only person she cared about with motherly attention was the Borgette.

Which was weird considering how horrible Seven was in the beginning and then how cold she was right to the end.

How many months did she not spend talking to her crew while she nursed the Doctor back to mental health after Latent Image?

I doubt Kathryn would ever try to fix a broken toaster with hugs?

Considering that she boffed a hologram, and the rest above, I think we might as well just stamp the word Cyberphile on her forehead.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  12. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it fits Roslyn and that crazy "civilians faction" leader on "Stargate Universe", not Janeway.

Janeway is more reasonable and seem to have a compassion for her crewmembers which the other two mentioned above don't have.

13. Guy Gardener

She stuck Tom in a cell for a month because he saved a species from committing suicide.

What the hell happened to he Equinox 5? They didn't get a mother, they got dad taking his belt off after he gets home from 14 hours at the steel mill.

Most mothers (Over 50 percent is most) resort to prostitution in some form at some point to help out their kids(flirting and undoing a button at parent teacher interviews counts.), if not every night, to put fruit loops in their cereal bowl the next morning... Janeway wouldn't put out for Q in exchange for a lift home?

Mother's are never that selfish!

Later in Course Oblivion she made babies with an alien she was not in love with and did not receive a lick of quid pro quo! Kathryn did have an inner prostitute in her after all, unfortunately that facet of her personalities hadn't matured yet by season 3 when the gentleman from the Q Continuum tried to woo her.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  14. teacake

She would have done it if Q had helpfully explained to her that all it involved was touching fingers and also if he had helpfully left out the reproducing part.

15. Guy Gardener

Lying? He's not really a man, so you shouldn't expect a consistent stream of well manicured lies.

16. teacake

Of course what he really wanted was to get her to kowtow to his plans and maybe also some fawning about how fab he was to have these plans. Lying wouldn't get him that.

17. Guy Gardener

Rubbish.

He wanted a baby and had to put up with a woman to get it.

Your gender is a barely necessary evil Teacake.

Q was going to shut up eyes, hold his breath, take her bun and run.

Of course there is the other argument that he always wanted Q, and was just using Kathy to make Q jealous.

Kathryn was a decoy vagina.

Nothing more than a stalking horse between her legs.

18. teacake

You obviously did not watch this episode very closely as no vaginas whatsoever were involved :lol:

19. Guy Gardener

Kathryn didn't know that.

She absolutely thought that Q was going to see her uncovered bottom right up till the very last second!

And really, a vagina is not a squishy oyster shaped piece of meat, it's a state of mind.

Oh look, Ducane from Relativity is on last nights Stalker.

They do get around.

20. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I simply have to find a way to work this sentence into a conversation.