Future TNG Blu-ray releases

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ralphis, May 19, 2013.

1. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Haven't been around here in awhile...

Does anyone know if CBS has any plans to release certain episodes of TNG (or any Star Trek) on Blu-ray like they did with Best of Both Worlds? Or even a 'Best of Star Trek' collection, or 'Fan Collective' series, like they did for DVD.

I love Star Trek, but owning EVERYTHING is a little outside my budget. However, owning some of the better episodes in the before mentioned formats is more up my alley.

I did an interweb search before I asked this question, and I did take a quick survey of the recent threads here before I asked this question. If I missed an article or any news, feel free to just link it.

2. BigMovieGeek

BigMovieGeek Commander Red Shirt

CBS will be releasing the Season 4/5 cliffhanger Redemption in the back end of July. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same for all cliffhangers and maybe even two parters in general. As for a "best of" collection, I doubt it'll be arriving anytime soon, but I can certainly see it on the cards based on previous releases.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Redemption is on the way, and they did release all of the two-parters as "movie length episodes" on VHS back in the day, so it wouldn't surprise me at all (if sales a good enough) if they went forward with doing the same on Blu Ray.

Of course, we could argue that BOBW had a historical cache that makes it a desirable movie length special in itself, and that similar specials might only appeal to a collector's market. I reckon Redemptions success or failure will determine whether they go ahead with "movie-fying" the rest of the two-parters.

4. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's also the Next Level sampler disc they put out over a year ago, it contains "Encounter at Farpoint", "Sins of the Father" and "The Inner Light".

5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like Redemption won't be released in Europe, which is a shame. Yes, we can just import it, but it doesn't bode well for future releases.

6. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Few of the other two parters had the same impact as BOBW, truth be told

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Unification did alright, it's just a shame the second part is awful. The set-up is great, but the pay-off is totally lacking. Birthright isn't exactly memorable, The Gambit is decent enough with some really nice scenes, and I enjoy Time's Arrow. It's not epic like The Best of Both Worlds, but it's a really fun TNG story. Obviously All Good Things is great, but it was always designed to be a TV movie rather than a two-parter.

The only one that matches BoBW was the superb Chain of Command.