TV Movies

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Overlord, Jan 20, 2012.

1. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes. They just broadcast a 2 night Peter Pan prequel. They've been doing a reimaged classic every other year in December for the past number of years. Tin Man in 2007, Alice in 2009, Neverland in 2011. Whether they would be interested in doing an original story or space opera in general remains to be seen, but those 3 have been some of the highest rated shows on SyFy.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They might have. Star Trek alone is a big brand name. But it would have been more of a risk. Just think about the position JJ Abrams was in - if his movie had been a flop, it could have been a total catastrophe for the franchise, "proof" that nobody wants more Star Trek of any kind.

He was under a huge amount of pressure to just succeed. He crafted a movie that was both respectful of existing canon and geared to make maximum box office among the majority of the audience who think "canon" has something to do with the Catholic Church.

3. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

Most definitely. Live action and animated TV movies.

4. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Commander

I would watch any post-Nemesis Trek miniseries, if it happened, but I don't think it ever will. :(

But here are the "dream" scenarios where I would most like to see a Trek Miniseries:

1. Post Enterprise series based, during the Earth- Romulan War, featuring hte crew of the NX-01. I think this would be something that would give that crew the proper send off they deserved, and would make up for These are the Voyages.

2. USS Stargazer series, based around young Captain Picard assuming command

3. Post Nemesis series, based on the Prime universe, after the destruction of Romulus, with a mixed cast including some TNG\DS9\VOY cast members

5. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would not mind seeing TV based movies set around the post-Nemesis timeline featuring variety of characters from that period, but believe that ship has sailed and we are now, for better or worse, stuck in the new timeline established with the 2009 feature film.

6. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I would love to see CBS do a trek mini series. I think the the Battlestar Galactica mini series proves it can be done. Besides Trek has a larger audience.

7. Temis the Vorta

What SyFy is willing to air is not at all the same as what CBS is willing to air.

Figuring out what channels want and don't want is pretty easy. Look at what else they show. They aren't in the business of deviating too far from their own norms, and channels are not interchangeable the way they were when there were only three of them.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

BSG proved how to make a TV pilot and air it as a test for the series. The BSG mini would never have been made on its own.

9. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I couldn't agree more ... Especially scenario no 3 would be nice from my point of view, I would love to see and adventure starting at post-Romulus Ds9, and mixing the crew together, like seeing that Sisko is back, and maybe the whole story would be in the USS Titan. And as for scenario 1 or 3: the sets were only taken down, not destroyed if I can remember correctly ... And I really think that a mixed crew adventure would work better than an unknown crew, and as much as I would love a Stargazer movie, fact is that returning mayb 6-7 characters from the TNG/DS9/VOY crew wouldn't be as costly as some might think, just think about the fact that some of them don't have any real jobs at all right now, but for a Star Trek fan seeing Harry Kim as Second in Command aboard the Defiant or Titan would be a pretty huge deal. But all remains a fan boy dream as CBS isn't showing moods to bring back Trek where it belongs: to the small screen.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

FWIW, all of this has happened in the novels, although they haven't quite gotten to the destruction of Romulus, yet.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I can think of numerous actors/characters that would be welcomed back: Kira, Odo, Garak, Jeffrey Combs, the EMH from Voyager, Connor Trineer, John Billingsly, a group of Surviving Romulans as regulars, etc. I just don't see Harry Kim as Second in Command generating any excitement from the fans, though.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Three or four mini-series, or TV movies or straight-to vid productions. With the understanding that the one that got the most favorable reception could be the basis for a new series. I would be open as to subject/timeframe but always love to see "lost era" projects.

1. Between now and Cochrane.
    2. Between Cochrane and Ent.
    3. Between Ent and TOS.
    4. Between TOS Movie era and TNG
    5. Post Nemesis. (Although quite well covered in Lit.)

13. Patrick O'Brien

I would enjoy watching anyone of these ideas. I get the impression that they are not going to happen anytime soon though.:sigh:

14. Patrick O'Brien

I would love to see option #4. Wrath of Khan uniforms are awesome:bolian: And the Excelsior/Ambassador class ships are great looking:) The Lost Era books are filling in this time period somewhat. But there is more back story for a TV show to develop.

15. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

It was just an example as Kim didn't get any promotion. But I can think a few more and more significant as well :)

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Generating excitement among the non-fans is more important for the success of any new incarnation of Star Trek on film or TV than generating excitement among the fans. Surprisingly, this can't be overstated, since the fans in these parts keep forgetting it.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If that Star Trek fan happens to be Garret Wang, then yes. If not... then I don't really foresee Beatle-mania-type scenes ensuing.

18. Temis the Vorta

They're going to have to start over with a whole new cast of characters, mainly of the young and pretty type. Tho I would not be at all adverse to seeing actors like Nana Visitor or Jeffrey Combs again, most likely not reprising old roles.

Star Trek on cable (someplace respectable, eg, not SyFy) could be a prestigious enough name to attract some fairly big name actors. Folks like Kevin Bacon and Dustin Hoffman are making TV now. Let's get Meryl Streep to play an insane Starfleet admiral! :D

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Admiral Thatcher?

20. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I could see TNT doing a sober, tasteful, artistic and serious take on another Trek pre-prequil with a more 2001/The Right Stuff kind of approach assuming there's another Arther C Clarke out there willing to call his thing Star Trek and have it used as a possible back door pilot. Problem with that is the loss of power and control. GR was kicked off of TOS third season so what hope would any showrunner/recreator have of maintaining creative control under such a greedy umbrella's shadow saturated by predatorial hired guns and the slick suits that hire them to do their dirty work?