Re-Imagined K'tinga/D7

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by REL, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, what we saw in TOS wasn't a green ship, and what we saw in TMP wasn't a green ship... both were a nice, steel-looking grey tone.

Okay, the MODELS may have been painted with a hint of green, but the models are there to look right on-screen.

It's sort of like how actors and TV personalities wear makeup when being filmed. They do this to look "normal" on-screen, because if they didn't wear it they'd look odd. But if you see them in-person, under normal lighting, with that makeup on, well... it's pretty creepy.

The "green tint" from TOS and TMP was sort of like that, as far as I'm concerned.

However, we did get nice olive-drab ships with ST-III and on. Well, the BOP makes sense, since it's a landable craft... maybe this was intended to be a form of camouflage (in combo with the cloak)?

But there's another potential answer. Maybe Klingon eyes don't work quite like our eyes do? Maybe what looks odd to us is what's natural to them... and they feel the same way in a "human-friendly" environment as we would in theirs.

I know this isn't exactly what we've seen on-screen... but imagine that the Klingon sun were red, rather than "pale yellow" as ours is. You'd fully expect that their eyes would be most responsive in the red range. They might even have that as the CENTER of their visual range, and the higher frequencies which we see might not even be in their visual range at all!

Now... if you look at it that way... shift our visual spectrum so "red" is roughly where yellow is now... you'd basically have slightly yellow (but mostly "white") lights, with a black hull, as the Klingon eye would perceive it.

Just a thought...

2. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

3. Retroneon

Retroneon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Gorgeous! :drool:

The green colors are perfect.

4. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and it just occurred to me that bronze turns green when oxidized :p

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Man that turned out awesome! You really need to get that crated and shipped to me asap.

6. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

You know, a thought occurred to me early in this thread and I decided to keep my mouth shut and see how things unfolded. But now that this is done, I really think that the forward section which would have been more spherical (i.e. with an undercut) that the original D-7 has looks better than the flattened "hemispherical" structure on this version. Since it hangs down farther it makes the forward end look more substantial from a wider range of angles than this this ship, which from many top angles appears to have a very flat forward end. This does lend itself to more of a Vor'cha feel, but I dunno, I'm glad the original D-7 is still out there...somewhere...

Don't get me wrong, I love this model. I'd like to see some "action" shots of it and maybe some ortho drawings?

Tremendous work!

--Alex

7. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

REL, I wish I had one-quarter of your modelling talent.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell, I'd be happy with even a mere sixteenth.

9. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere I have a photo of one of the models AMT built and in that photo you can see that the ship is actually painted in kind of a very pale lavender and a sorta of sea green. Those colors are pretty consistent with what's seen in these Ellan of Troyius screenshots. In other cases the ship appeared rather greenish, as below...

[​IMG]

...but I can't remember this ship ever looking gray on TOS.

11. Satyrquaze

I stand corrected.

12. Satyrquaze

As with beauty, I think it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Some see Starfleet ships as being a light blue, others see it as silver...

13. Maurice

^^^You can't argue with RGB values. :D

14. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, in-universe it looks kinda like a contemporary to the Excelsior-class (or possibly Ambassador-class, since apparently Klingon ship designs evolve at a much slower rate than their Federation equivalents).

Love the latest paint scheme, by the way. :)

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see how people assume a gray model when the colors look like they're the result of a teal light from the underside and a lavender light coming from above.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

All hail REL! That's seriously the greatest Klingon ship ever conceived.

18. Maurice

Sure, someone could infer that if they thought about it that way, but the ship never appears gray unless you watch it on a black and white set. :)

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not only that, but the cobra head of the ship is lavender in one shot and green in another.

D7s have active color-changing hulls.

You can't argue with RGB values.

20. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never had a B&W set.

So... given that you're basing the actual color upon the way it looks in any given shot... what color was the Enterprise, again?

FYI, both of the images above strike me as grey ships, under different lighting conditions.

Evidently, the ship is covered with amphibian skin???