I have read Titan #1, #2, & #3...reading #4

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RaymondJames, Sep 12, 2008.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the cover makes it pretty clear who one of those characters is.
    http://startrek.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Over_a_Torrent_Sea.jpg:techman:

2. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I never liked the addition of T'pel. Tuvok was nice to have for one book but I don't need him.

Keru is agreat character and he has just been sidlined for like 3 books now. He should be more used and he could use a partner. Ogawa has something to offer aswell and I really haven't heard a peep out of her since book #1

3. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Tuvok suffered from all the behind-the-scenes changes Voyager went through. He was supposed to be Janeway's old friend and confidant, but after the first season, there really wasn't much left of that.

As far as the Voyager relaunch novels were concerned, Tuvok didn't really fit in. A logical, rational Vulcan just didn't fit in with the woowoo newage flakiness that those books were about, particularly the Spirit Walk duology. His character may suffer a little by virtue of being part of a very large ensemble cast in Titan, but I think he's a good fit for that series.

4. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I love Tuvok on Voyager I never felt that they gave up on his old friendship with Janeway at all. I don't like him in the Titan series though, he just was thorn in., love that they rescused him but he wasn't needed as a crewmember.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Tuvok being on Titan is one of my favorite aspects of the series.

6. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nobody has been sidelined. Being an ensemble-cast series, character emphasis is meant to vary from book to book.

You could say the same thing about any of the Titan characters beyond Riker and Troi, since those two were the only ones whose inclusion was dictated by Nemesis.

Of course, the reality is that no one was simply "thrown in." The crew was put together with care and consideration for the potential stories and character arcs they each brought with them.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She has a few significant peeps in Torrent Sea.

8. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I welcomed the addition of Tuvok to the Titan series very much and I am hoping that he will stay. I also like it that his wife is with him now.

I think Titan is giving Tuvok much more potential than he was allowed in Voyager. Now with new Voyager books coming, I don`t want to read about finding all kinds of forced and not so forced reasons why everybody or nearly everybody HAS to join a new Voyager crew. My opinion is: Please leave Tuvok where he is!

9. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Each of the books focuses on different characters and tells stories relevant to them and to the larger plot. The Titan series is the best 24th century series the trek novel line has (now that CoE is no longer in the running) and I feel that the books are going from strength to strength.

I find the mix of people aboard Titan and the way the writers deal with them to be its strongest element. Look at the TV series "Heroes" - you don't see every character in every episode, that's the thing about ensemble casts, as Marco pointed out. I'd rather see fifty scenes focusing on thirty characters than fifty scenes focusing on five.

YMMV

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might be mistaken, but I thought Tuvok played a pretty big role in all of the telepath stuff in Orion's Hounds.

11. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that Tuvok remains on Titan. If he returns to Voyager I would be disappointed and see it as a step backward for him.

Personally I would have just split up the best Voyager characters among some of the other Trek book series and scrapped the Voy relaunch, especially now that you know who isn't around anymore. I could see Kim or the Doctor working well onboard Titan..but that is a whole other can of gagh.

12. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, my...hats off to the cover artist! I must say, the Titan series seems to be getting some of the best cover artwork of any of the books lately. :)

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, hats off... and gloves... shirts... pants...

Actually, while I'm in a gutter-minded mood, I couldn't help but notice the outlines created by the light reflecting off her scales. Does she have four 'breasts' (or whatever the amphibious equivalent would be), or is that lumpiness a skeletal or muscular adaptation?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I established Lavena's polymastia in Orion's Hounds. In other words, yep, she's a girl with two somethings extra. They would've been larger back in her amphibious, childbearing phase, but in this stage of her life, they've flattened out for streamlining.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, when I saw that I'd thought it was just her stomach.

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I didn't even notice it at all, but then again, it had to be pointed out to me that you can clearly see the nipples of the female figure on the new Bond novel Devil May Care :cardie:

17. Nerys Ghemor

Hey, not all women have GIANT ONES. Some of us are more streamlined by nature. :p

18. Brefugee

Which some men prefer :drool:

19. Nerys Ghemor

Ha...that's good to know. I've never been able to understand the male attractions to endowments that are obviously FAAAAAAKE!!! :rommie:

20. Brefugee

And I wouldn't know the answer to that either.