My 1/350 TOS enterprise build will be in "SHIPS OF THE LINE"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chris PikE, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chris PikE

Chris PikE Commander Red Shirt

I was recently given the OK to share some exciting news. My 1/350 Polar Lights original series Enterprise will have a page in the Star Trek "Ships of the Line" Calendar available around August/September of 2016. Through a collaborative effort with Jeff Summers from Media One Visual Arts(Jeff and I collaborated on my 1/35 Jupiter 2 image seen on the Moebius box and lighting kit box art) and because Doug Drexler (visual effects artist for Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and many others) , had the idea of using my practical Build up in a publication that usually employees CGI rendered Starships. Doug saw something in my build up that fueled the idea of using my actual build up in the Calendar.Jeff Summers put my build up in an image that is sure to fire the imagination. Both Jeff and I are honored to be Part of Star Trek's "Ships of the Line". Many, Many thanks to Doug Drexler for this incredible oppertunity! The actual image will only be seen in the Calendar.

Is is very humbling to have an Oscar winning special effects supervisor recognize your work.

Here is the model at my class I conducted on how to build the 1/350 at this year's Jersey Fest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on a recent visit to my local hobby shop...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

That is quite an honor, indeed. Good on you.

As a fellow "practical" modeler, your work is outstanding. Very nicely done!

:techman::techman:

Q2

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! Look forward to seeing it! :techman:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congrats :)

Your model is now offically Best ever model of the Enterprise (TOS) :) :techman:

5. Chris PikE

Many sincere thanks guys!

6. Chris PikE

A little update on my 1/350 Enterprise in "Ships of the line"...The photo composite illustration for the Star Trek Ships of the Line calendar was approved by CBS, but is being pushed back to the 2018 issue. CBS likes it, but they are dedicating the 2017 calendar to specific episode themes for the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, so the Composite illustration using my 1/350 Enterprise build up will be delayed until the following year.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Congratulations, Chris! It's a beautiful model and well deserving of inclusion in SOTL. Paint job, seam coverage, lighting, everything. The folks doing the Gray Lady's restoration at TAASM could learn something from this, I think.

I wish I still had the time to do such things any more. Haven't completed a model in over a decade now. :(

8. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

That's too bad... I always get the calendar as a Christmas gift, and I was looking forward to seeing your model in there this year!

-Ricky

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent work, Chris, and a late congratulations on getting your work in Ships of the Line.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Cool. Nice model. :)
    Just to clarify that sentence, Doug's Academy Award is for Makeup for the film Dick Tracy, not for his later work in visual effects, for which he and his teams have won several Emmys. :)

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, that's quite the achievement, both the model and the honor of having it in SOTL. Congratulations!

12. Chris PikE

OOOPS! Sincere thanks for the clarification sir!:techman:

13. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I was really excited when I heard from Doug that a physical model was going to get in as I am always pushing to do something outside of pure 3d work. It is just too bad that the composite could not work for the 2017 release. (summer 2016) I think it would have made a real presence in a Enterprise themed release EXP for the time frame of the release date. Also sticks we have to wait that much longer to see the final composite!

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations!

(Hey, there are no grid lines on that saucer! :devil:)

15. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

That is an absolutely stunning model. It could easily be mistaken for the 11' studio model (in fact, I'm hoping that this is what the original Big E will look like after the magicians at Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy finish their conservancy operations).

16. Chris PikE

Again, many thanks guys!

Here Is a pic of my class at this Year's "how to build the 1/350 Enterprise" Class and another Pic of my Model on display during the class...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JKM and shapeshifter like this.
  17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You teach a CLASS on building the Enterprise? That's impossibly nerdy! I'm incredibly jealous!

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Based on the quality of work I've seen here, that class should count for a college credit! Chris is more qualified in mastery on the subject as any that I've seen in a long time.

19. Chris PikE

Again, many thanks guys.

20. Chris PikE

Another nice honor!

Michael L.Stribling, Artist, Asked to use an Image of my 1/350 TOS Enterprise build for the Gold Key Star Trek Comics archives VOL 5. You can see my build on the beautifully illustrated cover here...And a Link to purchase!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1631405985/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Here is the Book cover and My Build up...

[​IMG]

Go-Captain likes this.