Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That thing was only there because the tactical console was being taken apart and worked on. The engineers were trying to fix it (the Iconian virus was wreaking havoc with all systems), so they pulled out its 'guts'. That's not how it was supposed to look.

2. The Gentleman

The Gentleman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That's hilarious! I'd never seen that before. Of course, Riker is in the revamped uniform, so I wouldn't expect to see it before 3rd season. But, wow!

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks, but I should have been more clear: We never saw that panel open on the 1701-D (did we?), so there's no on-screen evidence that the 1701-D had that panel.

4. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah it was the Season 2 finale "The Jem Hadar." If you guys have never seen it, it's a pretty chilling scene. I think it's somewhere on Youtube too.

5. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I still have my Star Trek Klingon and Star Trek Borg CD-ROMs. I had them for my old Dell. They were basically point and click live action games but yeah they used real sets (Borg used the Voyager set) which was pretty cool. And John de Lancie was actually great as Q in Borg.

I also still have the Interactive VCR Board Game. It was filmed on the E-D set and starred Robert O'Reilly but not as Gowron. The basic story is he's a disgruntled Klingon who is fed up with the peace with the Federation and steals the ship (yeah, I know) from something that looks remarkably like Starbase 74 from 11001001 (:D). They use lots of footage from that episode in the docking and theft sequences. Most of the time you see the warp starfield on screen but "Gowron" will pop on every once in a while to affect gameplay (like whoever's turn it is must miss a turn). Definitely on my more rare side of collectibles I think.

Oh btw, if you don't regain control of the ship within the hour, they show the Yesterday's Enterprise battle scene followed by "Gowron" freaking out as the ship spirals out of control followed by the "Cause and effect" explosion. :lol:

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, even in that crappy quality, it's amazing to see just how bold and modern looking TNG looks compared to the early-90s world it came from (with its clunky computers and dorky fashions).

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 1701-D's tactical console never needed to be repaired in that way. So there was never any cause to use that panel.

And since they used the same set for both ships' bridges, logic suggests that the panel existed on both ships.

8. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And Starbase 74 looks remarkably like the Earth Space Dock from Star Trek III The Search for Spock.. Hmmmm ;)

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's also this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY[/yt]

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And who could forget:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rFNbSKpEE[/yt]

11. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

If you mean a filmed, live-action episode... zero. They underdelivered for S2 because of the strike/budget problems (they were meant to deliver 26 episodes, like every other season, and only managed 22. Including "Shades of Gray"). If they'd filmed another episode, it would have gone out.

At a stretch, I suppose some sort of storyboard/reading of an unmade script might be possible. That's the limit though.

12. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I want to see Restored in HD. In fact, thinks to the work of TNG (finding ways to get more, with model work) DS9 really came to life with far, more fluid ship shots, add that to its great set (sorry I just never was that excited about the set of TNG), makes me drool over the possibility of one day this happening to DS9.

13. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BY the way what do we think is going to be "the extra special" part of the season two release (I mean seriously Measure of a Man is it for me, but I mean what haven't they told us)?

And does it have to be from TNG? The reason I say that is its expected for the latest Trek film to have its first bit of footage released somewhere around that time.

They wouldn't be teasing that would they? Not that I don't want that, but its really not related to TNG.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be cool if the new movie trailer premiered on the S2 set, but I seriously doubt it would happen.

One other possibility is an alternate cut of Q,Who (or some other episode) with more elaborate effects sequences... but I imagine something like that would have already been announced in the press release.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

"Shades of Gray" was written to save time and money as a result of the writers' strike of 1988. It was shot in only three days, while most take at least a week. Director Rob Bowman commented, "It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium."

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In the S1 BD retrospective the show's makers pretty much say they did just that, they went over budget on episode occasionally but then made it up by the end of the season by doing bottle episodes. But SoG was more due to a WGA strike and just not having material.

And I think it's a bit much to say that that piece of shit was "written."

17. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Measure of a Man is special, of course, but the part I'm hinting at is special in a totally different way. And yes, it's from TNG. :)

18. FrontierTrek

Don't get your hopes up for alternate cuts of full episodes with additional effects sequences. That sort of thing costs a LOT of money - more than the project has available to it.

19. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can you give us the timeframe of when we might learn what it is?

20. FrontierTrek

I know CBS are working on a full press release which should be published in the coming weeks. Beyond that, I can't say I'm afraid.

I hope to be publishing my interview with CBS Digital soon, and that contains several hints ;-)