Novels set in the Trek universe... but not about Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by trash80, Oct 9, 2013.

1. trash80

trash80 Commander Red Shirt

Have there ever been any novels which use the Trek universe as a back drop but the story themselves are not involved in the Star Trek continuity?

If not would people be interested in this kind of story? I would love it personally as i am obsessed with the minutiae of living in the Federation and such a story could really explore this.

How do you find out what time it is for your Mum on Alpha Centauri so you don't wake her up when you call et cetera... :lol:

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

You say "not about Star Trek" - do you mean not referencing the ST multiverse that much, or not containing (Starfleet) space travel?

One of the Strange New World anthology stories is set in an alternate timeline where Star Trek is regarded "fiction", dealing with a Human boy whose father is a soldier in a 21st century war.

There are also crossovers with other franchises, e.g. Doctor Who and X-Men. If you delve into those universes, they'll be pretty unrelated to Trek but you could go on a limp and consider them remote alternate timelines.

If you're looking for family/at home stories, maybe anything related to Lwaxana Troi is your pick.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think you are going to find your parameters somewhat confining when attempting to find such novels. I agree with Markonian that your best bet at finding these types of stories is probably perusing the Strange New Worlds short stories as they tend to isolate on a specific nuance of a character.

4. trash80

I mean novels set in the Star Trek universe but not involving the Enterprise, DS9, any characters we might have heard of (except in passing maybe "Did you see that report about Kirk on the news, hes with that chick now??" :lol:)

I find the universe has been created over the last few decades fascinating especially the Federation, i've love to see detective or police stories set in 24th century for example.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Ok, well then you might like Articles of the Federation. It delves into the politics of the Federation.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you'd like The Final Reflection (the life story of Krenn the Klingon), DTI: Watching the Clock (which focuses on Dulmur and Lucsley's adventures) and The Case of the Colonist's Corpse (Sam Cogley has to solve a crime on a Starbase)

7. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I would think the closest that you would come would be The Star Trek: The Original Series: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse by Tony Isabella & Bob Ingersoll. Having not yet read that novel myself, I can't say a whole lot about it, but I know it has been described as a sort of Perry Mason in space sort of story.

Can anyone out there that's read this one let us know if this sort of fits the bill for the OP's request?

- Byron

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1381321502

8. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

oops, King Daniel beat me to it...

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see some stories set in the Trek universe. Articles was great, haven't read the Colonists Corpse yet (it's on my pile).

Pretty much any type of novel could be shoehorned in with some imagination...

10. trash80

Thanks for the recommendations guys i'll check these out :)

11. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

The Neverending Sacrifice follows the story of a bit character from one episode of DS9 as he experiences the changes in Cardassia's politics from a civilian point of view. You might like that.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When I ran out of Trek novels at one point - and having loved Alan Dean Foster's TAS adaptations, including "The Slaver Weapon" - I suddenly realised that Larry Niven's "Ringworld" was a science fiction novel with a kzinti in it! It didn't take a lot of imagination to integrate this adventure as occurring in the Trek universe.

A few months later, "Ringworld Engineers" turned up as a new paperback, and I delved back in! And I gave a little cheer the day I noticed that Ringworld was marked on the chart in "Star Trek Maps".

Not quite what you were seeking, but...

There's also an Australian YA novel, "Rain May and Captain Daniel" (2002) by Catherine Bateson (US title: "Stranded in Boringsville") about a young fan of TNG.
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2007/02/thrill-of-hunt-part-3-its-_117041486736272967.html

And don't forget "Night of the Living Trekkies", complete with an incredible book trailer.
    http://therinofandor.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/book-trailer-for-night-of-living.html

Is it time to share these again?
    http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2009/02/23/and-the-circle-is-complete/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  13. trash80

I've read TNES before, excellent book. OK just bought the Final Reflection for my Kindle...

14. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

There's also quite a few books written about the planets and secondary characters. "A Stitch in Time" and "The Never-Ending Sacrifice" are set on Cardassia. Then there's a three book set called "Worlds of Star Trek Deep Space Nine " set on each planet like Andor and Ferenginar.

There's a bunch of Klingon novels like "Left hand of Destiny" and the "Klingon Empire" book set.

The other strange one (in a good way) is "Rising Son." A weird book about Jake Sisko joining a group of space thieves. I swear I read it thinking Joss Whedon must have gotten his idea for Firefly out of it!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That would cover most of the Vanguard series, the New Frontier series, the Corps of Engineers series...

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd also throw The Art of The Impossible in there. It's kind of a political thriller about The Betreka Nebula Incident that Garak and Bashir discussed in The Way of The Warrior. It covers 18 years, and features a bunch of different characters, some of we never saw on screen. There are a few recurring characters from the TV series, and a couple of major players from the novels, but I don't think there is a single main character from any of the TV series.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And then, I suppose, there's the Captain Proton book, which is a based on a work of fiction popular in the Star Trek universe.

And wasn't there a Dixon Hill mystery novel, or was that a TNG novel set largely in the holodeck? I can't remember.

Sadly, Pocket has yet to publish Warrior Women at the River of Blood or Vulcan Love Slave. :)

18. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a brief cameo-appearance by

a very young Worf, playing warrior beneath the family dinner-table.

But otherwise, correct -- no other major major-cast characters show up in the novel.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Which would be a neat trick, considering that Rising Son was published after Firefly was cancelled.....

As indicated (and it's really not any kind of spoiler), Worf appears as a small child, and we also see Troi as a small child and Uhura as an older admiral. And, of course, Curzon Dax is a main character, and he's sorta-kinda half a main character.... ;)

Yes, A Hard Rain by Dean Wesley Smith, which had a superb Sonia Hillios cover....

20. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

My bad. I'm reading the DS9 relaunch books and I guess I've been forgetting the books aren't nearly as old as the series.

DS9 to me will always be a "late 90s thing."