Star Trek Renegades

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lighthammer, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a treky, I figured I'd do my part to try get the word out about this project.

Star Trek Renegades is a rogue attempt to try to rebuild the Star Trek following and possibly create an underground Youtube based series if the pilot is successful enough.

Here's the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI

I don't know about everyone else, but the trailer sends chills down my back. For those who have followed Star Trek over the years, you might know that Chekov was promoted to Star Fleets Command and Chief sometime during Voyager according to many of the books and the canonic Star Trek MMO. This is the first look at him having that role on screen and as such is an extremely neat tie in to a lot of the recent trek stories.

The story itself follows the adventures of Captain Lexxa Singh a descendant of Khan Singh as she leads a covert operation to uncover a dark secret that threatens to tear apart the Federation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek Renegades Kickstarted ending soon

Admiral Chekov is cool. Tuvok in Section 31 sounds really iffy (although it may make sense in the context of the story), but the captain being a decendant of Khan has to be the fanwankiest thing I have ever read. Ever. Ever.
    And I have a very high threshold for that sort of thing.

Still, I hope this gets made. Of Gods and Men was fun.

3. Lighthammer

I'm kind of in the same boat about the captain, but I am very much reserving to see how it plays out.

This has been my line of thinking: we've seen writers going out of their way to link many other characters to past characters. Heck, a lot of less-than-canon stories suggest Riker is related to Kirk.

After a fashion though, its been so very rare where someone related to the bad guy becomes the good guy; it's certainly never happened in Trek (unless you count the retcon where Data is involved).

At the very least, I find the choice of the Captain's linage iffy but potentially really compelling. It almost carries a Blade or Son of Dracula type potential to it.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes that's very fanwanky but you know Khan would have been spreading his seed far and wide. There are probably many Khan descendants.

Are the eugenics tweaks inheritable?

5. Lighthammer

According to both Enterprise and the bio on Captain Singh, they are.

6. teacake

If that's the case it sounds like having him as your absentee dad would be a very cool thing.

7. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I too am looking forward to seeing this. I liked "Gods and Men", but acknowledge its flaws. Maybe second time around Russ'll do an even better job, as most fan-film series do show improvement as they go along.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

$200,000 just seems extremely steep for a fan film.

9. teacake

Lens flare.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Er, I wasn't aware Star Trek needed to be brought back. Isn't there a big new movie due out next year?

11. BillJ

Wouldn't he be more like an absentee great-great-great grandfather, since its been four hundred years? And wouldn't the genes be really watered down by that point?

So the only interesting thing about her is the last name...

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Have to agree about the Khan element, if they want their Captain to have enhanced abilities include a Vulcan ancestor (just not Spock ot T'Pol), or create a new species that would do the job just as well without rehashing the genetically engineered. Also if you were related to one of Earth's greatest villans, wouldn't you go to great pains to hide that fact?

I'm on a wait and see approach to this, not sure how exactly I feel towards it. I will say though, I quite like the compact design of the ship they've got, and the blend between Klingon BoP and INS scout is interesting.

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

There hasn't been any activity, or at least updates, since August. Do we know if they are still active?

14. teacake

It's a recessive gene. The magic all surprise recessive gene.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

$162,000 is an impressive sum to raise for this sort of thing; why on earth did they set the goal so high, though? $200,000 seems unreachable -- not to mention excessive, for this sort of thing. Tim Russ is a capable filmmaker; why not raise that much and produce an independent feature suited to that budget?

Not sure the "Star Trek following" needs to be rebuilt. If the success of Abrams movie (not to mention the rest of the franchise on home video and on television) is any indication, its doing fine.

16. Lighthammer

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Whether or not there is active television production is hardly a useful way to determine the health of the "Star Trek following." Fandom was at its peak in the 1970s and 80s, a time which was mostly devoid of new Star Trek on television.

18. BillJ

:scream:

She is not a "child of Khan"' its been four hundred years. How can you not get this?

$200,000 is a lot for a labor of "love" and there's no way this convinces anyone that Trek is a viable property for television. If the Abrams film making $400 million hasn't yet convinced CBS that Trek is viable on TV, an expensive fan film certainly won't.

19. Lighthammer

See those quotes around "child of khan"? I didn't mean to infer she was a direct offspring, I meant to infer she was a descendant in much the same way some clans can themselves "children of ..." to illustrate linage.

20. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Just like Spock is a child of Sherlock Holmes ala Star Trek six..

Don't tell me you don't remember :rofl: