Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, it's actually only about 3 hours long. It was only a "miniseries" because it aired over the course of 2 nights.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had a major Farscape marathon tonight (Screw all the stuff that was on TV like the Simpsons or Chuck or stuff like that, I don't watch so might as well) and got up to Unrealized Reality. Some thoughts on the episodes I did see:

John Quioxte - Yes I probably spelt that wrong, but it's late and I don't feel like looking it up. I will say though it was one of wackiest episodes this series has done, probably moreso than Ravenging Angel. This one also gives John the Lakka, which I hope doesn't go that long (It's been a few years, I forgot a lot of the pre URR storylines).

A Prefect Murder - People didn't like this episode? Other than the beginning with the odd editing that didn't mean anything other than reminding me of Star Trek's Friday's Child, I really dug this one. Not the best episode, but nowhere near as bad as the next one:

Coup By Clam - I think this might be the weakest one of the season. Just didn't like the sexist and disgusting tones of this one, even though it was really cool seeing John back in the Season 2-3 outfits again and he lost the short jacket.

Something else I noticed too, I understand the need for the "Previously on Farscape's" but there is a part of me that wishes they hadn't included it on the DVDs. How many times have they shown the Aeryn is with Child scene from Dog with Two Bones? It's repetitive. Yes, we know there is a pregnancy storyline going on. Even viewing it on a weekly basis, the episodes make us aware of that.

Now we get to the good parts of Season 4. Looking forward to the home stretch, and man when am I going to find time to watch the entire Peacekeeper Wars mini. Probably this weekend if I get there, even though Hurt Locker and Moon comes out this week.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

First time watcher checking in again.

Hooray! I've finally finished season one. The ending arc was every bit as good as it was hyped to be. These last three or four episodes of the season was the first time that I felt I was watching a really great show. How awesome is Scorpius?

SO awesome.

Crichton masquerading as a peacekeeper was loads of fun, even if his accent was terrible. Though, I suppose that was kind of the point.

Now I'm two episodes into season two and I'm busy being thrown off by the changes to the character designs. :lol: It took me a little while to realize what was so weird looking about D'argo-- his beard! Or sideburns! Or whatever they are! Omg! Actually I think I'm used to those now, but what's really messing with me is the changes to the Rygel puppet. I had grown so attached to the original one that every time he comes onscreen it jars me out of the storyline a bit. :p I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

Anyway, glad I bought the set, and am really enjoying it at this point.

4. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL at the Scorpius spoiler.

And I think you're talking about the main lead - His name is spelt John Crichton, I think.

5. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Oh thanks, I fixed it! :lol:

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He only gets better from here. Enjoy.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's taken a little bit, but I'm giving the episode a check now...

EDIT: Went frame by frame, and I don't see it on the Starburst version.

Dargo also has a darker skin tone beginning with the second season. Which is rationalized by the writers due to his exposure to the bright explosion at the end of season one. I think the look is much improved.

8. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

After watching all of these within 7 weeks, I feel like I can watch them again. But Im gonna wait a few years.

9. tomalak301

Had another mega Farscape Marathon tonight. I'm getting a bit sad we're approaching the end. It's been great watching this series again, and everything so soon.

Unrealized Reality, Kansas, and Terra Firma: I think if you watch Kansas right after UR, it will help you understand UR much better. On it's own, UR was an amazing episode, but these three make such a great storyline at this point of the season. As for Kansas, this one really is a great episode, and I have more to say about Terra Firma Below.

Twice Shy - After the brilliance that was the last three episodes, this one seems so thin in comparison. Probably my second least favorite episode of the season, preceeded by Coup by Clam.

Mental as Anything - I didn't notice any bugs on this episode. Might have been a particular disc. As for the episode, another one I really like even though I wonder if it had been better in Season 2.

Bringing Home the Beacon - Is it just me, or is this episode just really really sad at the end. For one, it's a reminder that the season is close to ending and so is the series, and two, John lost Aeryn for a time. I really like the political ramifications on this one and it really does a good job setting up Katratci, but when John saw the Bioloid at the end, that set off an emotional spark in me even though I've seen this episode a few other times. Of course I know in Part II of We're So Screwed, we get Kick Ass Aeryn back, but that's quite a ways. :(

As for Terra Firma, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series. Most series that have the goal of getting home always end either they get home and that's it or they don't get home. I know this series has grown so much from the original premise of getting John Home, but part of the reason I love this episode was because it did bring him home, finishing a goal, and now we get to see Consequences. Everyone always says BSG is what they wanted to see in Voyager, well, Terra Firma is what I wanted to see in Voyager Season 7. Given it's the 13th episode of Farscape's final season, I think it's really cool that yes a goal has been reached and we get to see how much it changes John.

As for the Change, I'm not sure if there were many complaints about bringing the issue of 9/11/01 into this episode, but I absolutely love it. Perhaps it might make the episode dated, but I really don't think so. I think this show knew how much damage that day caused to the entire world, even way before we really did. Of course this episode aired in 2003, but it did a good job conveying the sense of paranoia we're still feeling today.

I will definitely finish the series this week (Probably not the mini) and it's been a great ride to revisit. I think I'm still convinced Farscape is my favorite show ever.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"Twice Shy" is one of those episodes that would have been great in Season 1 but feels very out of place in Season 4. It's very much a filler episode in the middle of the final arc of the series (which more or less starts with "Unrealized Reality"). That said, the last scene of "Twice Shy" is incredibly important!

I was never a huge fan of "Terra Firma." I just didn't like many of the actors chosen to play John's friends and family. And yeah, you can count me as someone who didn't like the 9/11 reference. At that point, we were still being flooded with 9/11 stuff on the news, and I was just tired of hearing about it. The last thing I wanted was for my favorite sci-fi show to bring it up as well.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I've always absolutely loved Terra Firma.

And "Merry frelling Christmas" is still one of my favourite lines ever. :D

12. tomalak301

I love that line. :guffaw:

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I just love the way Black delivers it. :D

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Terra Firma is supposed to take place when it was aired--2003, no? A 9/11 reference doesn't seem out of place, especially considering what kind of man Jack Crichton is.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It only seemed out of place to me because, in my mind, Farscape took place in a slightly different universe from our own. Pop culture references? Sure, awesome! Those are fun. References to a tragedy that had JUST happened and that we were still hearing about almost hourly on the news? I just would have preferred it not mentioned.

16. tomalak301

You're right it did take place in a different universe, but for this episode, it did come to our universe. Even in the premiere episode, I thought it took place on Present day Earth, so coming back to earth it only seemed appropriate to keep it at present day earth, even though the show for the most part was in a completely different universe most of the time. I think that was the ultimate point of the episode. The two universes colliding with John right in the middle.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just think they could have accomplished the same thing without mentioning 9/11. I rolled my eyes when Jack brought it up.

18. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me as a "Terra Firma" lover too. The opening monologue by Crichton as he's out on the water is hauntingly good.

19. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh huh.:rolleyes:
    What will really happen is that you will watch it again within the next year..maybe even within six months.
    Then, when you have watched it a second time, loving it even more then the first, you will think that you need to have someone else watch it too because of it pure awesomeness! You will convince them to watch it but in order for that to happen you will have to watch it with them in case they miss its pure awesomeness. This cycle will repeat ad nauseum.

20. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: No. I dont want to get burned out on it like Star Trek. I will drag it out every few years and have mini marathons I think. But you are right this is an awesome show. Most definitely my favorite scifi/fantasy show.