The Halo Encyclopedia Published Today!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

In North America anyways...I think the UK is getting it on Nov 2. Once again Chapters is late getting something shipped in on time, have no fucking clue how long I'll have to wait to get a copy. I've been waiting for this to come out since I heard about it earlier this year. I recently saw the breakdown of sections the book deals with and I had a major geekism! Supposdely the book covers every facet of the Halo verse from Halo to Halo Wars and OSDT (whatever it's called) as well as the books. Anyone have a copy of it yet and if so what do you think? It's 352 pages.

2. Admiral_Young

Either no one has it yet, no one cares, or I posted this in the wrong forum.

3. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care.. but on a side note my Xbox got an E 74 error. Xbox error free virgin no longer.

4. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's kind of silly to release a Halo Encyclopedia now when there is one more Halo game being made by Bungie.

5. Admiral_Young

It is supposed to contain information that includes Halo Reach...and has spoilers for future Halo projects down the line.

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, you won't believe what happens with the spartan 2's in the dyson sphere

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to take a look at it before I order it:)

8. Sephiroth

it's $40 and massive, i thumbed through it at hastings, good quality though

9. Tomato

^
    Does it do gun specs and ship cross sections?

10. Sephiroth

it does weapon specs for all weapons, and I only thumbed through it, so I don't know about cross-sections, but it does have concept and other ship art

11. Admiral_Young

There are no cross sections for ships or vessels but does have pretty indepth profiles on weapons, ships, and other technology. I got it. I'm a little disappointed with the layout of the book but as far as just plain information provided, it's massive. It pretty much covers every single known Halo media from the games to the books to the comics up to ODST. Very cool profiles, a two or three page profile on the Master Chief alone I believe...really cool book. I reccomend it. I just wish the layout was better.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't really see the point in reference materials like this or Star Wars' Essential Guides when comprehensive websites like Halopedia (or Wookieepedia for Star Wars) exist and usually are more up to date.

13. Tomato

I remembered as a kid I would read the ST Encyclopedia cover to cover. For me it is just having it in a nice paper format lying on my bed and just reliving a great memory of my childhood.

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Essential Guides for Star Wars aren't just rehashes of old canon; they often add new info or retcons too.

15. Skywalker

Yeah, but Wookieepedia has the same information along with way more than any other single Essential Guide. Plus it's free and constantly being updated with every new material released.

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And also filled with Saxtonite garbage. But if you're into that nonsense, all the more power to you. :techman:

17. Skywalker

Eh? *googles 'Saxtonite'* Huh, interesting. Never heard of that.

18. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Very good point, but for me there's an enormous satisfaction that comes from perusing the bound, professionally-produced official reference book, laden with gorgeous artwork - it adds something to the experience that the various fan wikis just can't replicate.

And the Halo book really is beautifully done. And it's reasonably priced as well - Amazon had it for about $22 bucks yesterday.