Star Trek: Crew in Trade Paperback

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by lstyer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'll join you in praising Byrne's early X-Men and FF work, but I didn't really care for anything he did later (Alpha Flight, Hulk, Namor, both Avengers teams, ect).

2. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never read any of his Marvel work--just all the Post-Crisis Superman for DC, back in the mid to late 1980s. Crew was the first Byrne work I've picked up in almost two decades. Having read through his forums, he seems like an absolute diehard Old School TOS fan, tho, and put a lot of care and love into the series.

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel is still the definitive Superman origin as far as I'm concerned, and I really liked Byrne's Alpha Flight run-- and most of his Trek stuff has been gold, too.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's where most of the criticisms towards Byrne is aimed at, his later work (within the last ten years or so). Ditto for Claremont, who gets praise for his early X-men stuff, but not much love for his more recent X-men work from the fanboys (although I've heard good things about his current X-Men: Forever series).

5. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Byrne's Man of Steel six issue miniseries is one of my absolute all-time favorite comics.