Alternate history tv shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jiangnan Freak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

^ A common mistake. Wayne played Dillon on the earlier Gunsmoke radio show. Or...you might be thinking of Wayne's recurring role as Sheriff Micah Torrance on the James Arness western The Rifleman.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I still think Robert Conrad was a better captain as Pike on the original Star Trek pilot. At least they carried over Ross Martin as McCoy into the regular series.

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

They were fine, but casting Michael Dunn as that science officer with the pointed ears was a little too jarring.

Anyway, when Ross Martin suffered all those heart attacks it really put the kibosh on Star Trek. They were talking about a Phase II series in the 1970s and some reunion movies, but they couldn't do it without him. Too bad; they could have made a whole franchise out of it.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Better than Adam West as Kirk in the series? :wtf:

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

LHO (1993)

Using a brilliant recreation of Walter Cronkite's (an Oscar-winning performance by Bill Murray) infamous death-row interviews for CBS as a framing device, director Oliver Stone examines the events surrounding Lee Harvey Oswald's failed assassination attempt on President John F. Kennedy, and Oswald's subsequent trial and conviction for the murder of Jacqueline Kennedy. Flash-backs take us back to Oswald's life in the days immediately before the events in Dallas, as well as the lengthy trial. Stone dwells a bit too much, perhaps, on Oswald's sometimes frantic assertions during the trial (and indeed until the moment of his execution) that he never intended to shoot the President, and that the First Lady had been his target of choice all along. While this creates an air of drama for the purposes of this film, this reviewer finds it unnecessary to refute the conclusions of the Hoover Report yet again thirty years after the fact. Indeed, Stone at times seems to show more sympathy toward Oswald's wounded pride than to the widowed John F. Kennedy. While this film might run a little long for some, it is worth seeing for Stone's use of different film stocks and photographic effects to distinguish between events in the represent tense, flashbacks, and events as seen through Oswald's "mind's eye".

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fox News

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

:rommie:

8. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's more like a prequel to Idiocracy.

9. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've always thought Erik Nelson as April was the best captain it really too bad that he was replace with Jeff hunter for the second pilot, its also too bad Roddenberry was sleeping with Nichelle Nichols I think her Commander Colt was quite interested

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Did Jack Kennedy direct any movies in which his wife Marilyn Monroe starred in?

11. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could've been worse. Remember, at one point they wanted to cast Batman (William Shatner) as the captain. Imagine that, a Canadian captain!

12. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Even crazier is that I heard that Spock(Adam West) was the second choice for Batman can you imaging anyone else in that role and his such a dramatic Batman would never of had that great camp feel.

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

No, he never had the chance. But he was executive producer on Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, the only role she ever got an Oscar nomination for.

14. Jonas Grumby

It's probably a shame Kennedy didn't have more hands-on involvement with his wife Marilyn's career. He might have been able to control some of her erratic behavior (mood swings, constant lateness, etc.) that eventually soured her relationship with the big studios. Once Jayne Mansfield became Hollywood's go-to blonde bombshell, Monroe's movie career was essentially over. Her one chance at a small-screen comeback, as the star of the TV series Honey West was sabotaged by her obvious (and frequently publicly displayed) disgust at being reduced to being a "television actor."

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm having trouble envisioning Shatner's dramatically paused delivery for any character not wearing Bat-ears. "You'll never. Get away with this. Joker!" Can you see that working on a dramatic space show?

No wonder Shatner was typecast as Batman.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved Mariska Hargitay's performance as T'Pol. :devil: :vulcan:

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoever had the idea to set Sherlock Holmes in the Victorian era was brilliant! After having been a fan for so long, I have to admit, I was a little skeptical that they could adapt the character and setting to that of a period piece, but they nailed it! Holmes without a smartphone? I shuddered at the thought! The Case of the Blue Argyle was absolutely brilliant, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't bring home an oscar.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why did they get a Brit to play such an iconic American character?

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Christian Bale does a pretty convincing American accent, in fairness. Ditto Henry Cavill as Watson.

20. Jonas Grumby

^ Okay, I'll give you Bale and Cavill as great casting. But Woody Allen as Moriarty? That still takes more suspension of disbelief than I can muster.