That Name's Taken! You can be "Emirates"...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Deranged Nasat, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't care for it, because it's so Earth-centric. Why should all the other Federation races go along with it? (Although, I guess, why should they use the Earth calendar or speak English?) Also, constellations change over thousands of years as stars drift, so it's also present-epoch-centric.

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine it's a bit hard to be anything other than present epoch-centric.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always figured the Taurus Dark Cloud would've marked an "outer boundary marker" of sorts - however informally - for the Taurus Reach.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Only if we reduce the pattern to Earth. Let's take the Rigelian Verta constellation wegde and the Sagittarius wedge, for example, and you can call the territory where boths wedges overlap "Sagittarius-Verta sector". Voilá! That way, the space of the local loop can be neatly divided, designated and categorized for rerefence.

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

The Star Trek Online expansion Delta Rising has named the Vaadwaur state as the Vaadwaur Supremacy. I'm pretty sure "supremacy" is a first in Star Trek.

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Plus, we get the Malon Union, which the Star Charts called Malon Sanctity and Malon Cooperative before.

The Charts also include the Sikarian Canon.

The Benthans and Argala are members of the Benthan Protectorate.

7. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

I don't see it. I'm guessing you're referring to the Kinshaya, who were created by FASA as a mysterious warlike zealot species on the far side of the Klingons, to explain times when the Klingons AREN'T trying to start a war with the UFP.

8. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

It's near the end of Chapter "Kumari: One".

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's a separate thing to the Kinshaya. As I alluded to later in the thread, they're from the Greg Bear novel Corona.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And as I mentioned before, Bear named the "Kshatriyans" after the warrior nobility of classical India for some reason. It's kind of like naming an alien species the Samuraians. I remember being surprised when I took Indian history in college and realized where I'd seen the name kshatriya before.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Flock. Bunch. Lot. Crowd...

12. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

I liked the idea of them, but recalled that the word was something from ancient India when I first read it, I thought maybe one of the gods. This was pre-internet, so it was a while before I looked it up and found out I was wrong.
    I wish Bear had put out more detail on them somewhere.