NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Broncos lock down the first seed with a thrashing of the Raiders and Manning sets the yards record and the team sets the points record. I do with they had let Manning come out for at least one more drive in the second half. I know that numbers and stats can be adjusted after games (too many/too few yards credited, counting a pass as forward when it was a lateral, etc). The fact that Manning threw EXACTLY enough yards to set the record will probably leave me nervous for the next day or two that a yard adjustment here or there might be taken from his name.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

4th Quarter here we go! Come on Orton, Dallas D can't give you much more than that. They are playing outside of their ability tonight. You can't check down your way into a victory.

[Post game edit]

Damn. Can't complain too much I guess. The Cowboys played harder than I have seen in a long time. That defense played about as well you could with their limitations. I'm numb to this kind of thing at this point.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's odd, I thought they gave Romo the night off...

4. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Collinsworth was about to say something to that effect, but he held his tongue.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Fire Mel Tucker into the sun.

Then nuke the sun. You know, just to be completely sure.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I know right? In the first week or two, before all the injuries, I said they couldn't tackle or stop anybody and it only got worse from there.

Three fucking 4th down conversions in a row, including the 4th & 8 for a TD. Actually stop them on any of those and you win the game.

Though I'm sure someone will be blaming Cutler for the loss. He threw that INT on the hail mary pass at the end after all.

7. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

It was great to have both Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb back. I'm not expecting the Packers to make it to the Super Bowl, but I'm still thrilled that they won the NFC North (dismal as that division may be) and at least still have a shot.

8. Timby

I've never seen a Bears defense so undisciplined as I did this past season. Injuries are hard, but they shouldn't make you historically bad, unless you've suffered a historic abundance of injuries -- which the Bears didn't. Losing Melton, Tillman and Briggs hurt, but what their losses exposed was a complete lack of depth. Bostic somehow got worse as the year went on, while Paea and McClellin regressed to a point where they don't belong in the NFL. Bowman admitted during the postgame yesterday that the coverage on 4th and 8 was blown -- they were supposed to play zone fire, but Tucker thought the play was a man blitz, which is why Conte was so far out of position.

No one on that side of the ball knows where they're supposed to be, and that's on the coaching staff. Between the terrible coaching, and most of the defense being old, crappy, or old and crappy ... burn it to the ground.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

So the referees didn't have such a great day yesterday. I can't believe that 4th and 1 play in the KC/Chargers game wasn't reviewed, because it appeared that the player fumbled and lost the ball PRIOR to gaining the first down and PRIOR to losing his helmet. I didn't have DVR so I couldn't look at it again, but that's how it appeared to me. I would understand if the play was whistled dead due to a player losing his helmet, but if he doesn't cross the marker before his helmet comes off that play is dead anyway, and a turnover on downs. SOMETHING on that play was reviewable, even if portions of it weren't.

Then during SNF, they highlight the missed field goal by KC, and point out SD had 7 men on the right side of the line, which is a penalty.

Then during the SNF game, the Cowboys are inexplicably dealt a delay of game penalty when they should have had 15 more seconds to run a play. It ended up not mattering because they scored anyway, but it could have cost them the game in and of itself.

10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that'll solve all our problems. :techman:

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Props to the Bronco's head coach for not trying to set single game yards and points marks against my team. I know it was for Manning's and the team's protection too, but some coaches don't care about that so much.

May doing the respectful (and smart) thing come back to him one day.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Worst against the run in, what, the last 50 years? Since before the merger anyway.

They should've paid Urlacher what he wanted. If he didn't make one tackle all year, he would've had everyone else where they needed to be 95% of the time.

That's assuming he didn't get injured of course.

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

While I agree not playing his was the smart thing to do, but in no way should an NFL team complain about being disrespected. This isn't pee wee football. If you don't like what the offense is doing, do your job and stop them. If the Broncos wanted to run up the score, I take no issue with it, and for that matter, neither does the media now that its Manning doing it. In 2007 when Tom Brady and company were doing it people were calling for Belichick's head. I hear not a peep now.

14. tighr

I think the difference was in 2007, the Patriots were going for it on 4th down a lot, and going for 2pt after a touchdown, with no "strategy" reason for doing those things.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Can try to justify it however you like, but most of the 'difference' is just in the name on the front of the jersey. People aren't currently sick of Manning, so he can do no wrong. If he had just won 2-3 Superbowls, he'd be called out as an asshole instead for the same actions.

Can't speak to (or remember much about) 2 point conversions, but going for it on 4th down, especially when it's not always 4th and 1, IS better than just kicking chip shot field goals, isn't it? Not automatic points, you're giving the defense a chance to do their jobs and get the ball back. And if the defense cant manage it, you get to keep the possession, and keep running down the clock. Which is, in theory, the 'mercy' thing being asked for, no? Just end it and get off the field? How's kicking FGs all day NOT running the score up? Plus it happens faster, so more possessions, more points, etc.

Granted, once Brady was near the record, they pushed things a little, but in general, don't get the cry against this. It's professional sports, do your job. It's no pop warner, you don't get in trouble if the losing team is crying at the end. And if you take your foot off the gas too early and the other team comes back, YOU are suddenly the one in trouble and likely fired. And it's not like some sports, where you can really even bench your starters; there's only a few backups on the team and everyone plays in most packages. Sure, you can pull the QB, but if you have to play using the same OL, WRs, and RBs anyway, just as likely you keep beating the crap out of a shitty team anyway. Short of kneeling 3 times and punting on every possession, what do you propose? And that would be FAR more insulting than just running the ball every down...

16. Ramicus

Ramicus Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Remember when the Lions got off to a good start this season? Eugh.

Now I don't know who to support this playoff season.

17. Timby

Bears re-sign Cutler through 2020, and also retain Tim Jennings and Matt Slauson for four years each.

I'm irrationally relieved that Emery didn't listen to the talk radio chowderheads and let the best quarterback the team has ever seen walk.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Emery knows that every INT isn't the QB's fault.

I wonder if they can talk McCown into staying.

Good thing about Jennings & Slauson too.

19. tighr

Thereby saving 31 other teams from having to consider Cutler as a viable "option".

Methinks he knew his value to Chicago was greater than his value on the open market.

20. Timby

I would disagree. Cutler was indisputably the #1 quarterback target on the market. The other options for teams looking for a quarterback (Houston and Cleveland, notably, although I expect Houston to draft Bridgewater, and Minnesota, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Arizona and Oakland are all likely to be shoppers) are Vick, Henne, Freeman, possibly Ponder ... and McCown.

That's a murderer's row of dogshit, right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.