Homosexuals and Deltans

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sam_I_Am, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I will be checking this out.

Maybe twice.

Thank you. :D

I'd be more than fine with it, as I honestly believe Pine and Quinto have real sexual chemistry onscreen.

Also, I could definitely believe in a bisexual Kirk.

2. SpaceLover65

SpaceLover65 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I also remember an episode of the original Star Trek. In it, a woman uses some alien device to swap bodies with Jim Kirk. This was an amazing episode way ahead of its time. In it, Shatner portrayed the possessed Jim as still loving the man the woman was in love with (did that make sense?) And the man still loved the woman even though she was now in Kirk's body. I remember Kirk (still possessed by the woman) putting his arm around that guy...and gently caressing him. This was a HUGE achievement for the '60's. Shatner did such a great job in that episode...I thought...Gee...maybe Kirk is into guys too.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed. I think William Shatner did an excellent job as the mentally unbalanced Janice Lester, and Sandra Smith did an excellent job as the deposed James Kirk. I like that episode, overall.

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

There are a few species of lizard today that are all female, and the reproduce asexually. Since they went from two genders to one gender, it's perfectly plausible that the J'Naii could do the same. A little different since the J'naii need two people to create offspring and the lizards don't, but it shows how it could happen.

And as Teacake explained, the episode states that they evolved to become the single gendered species we see in the episode.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

As strange as it might seem to say, apparently Tiberius you don't know what the word "gender" means.

:devil:

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Given that both Jnaii "inseminate a fibrous husk," their genitalia are probably more like human male genitalia in spite of any differences between (suppressed) genders. Indeed, just because Soren identified as female does not mean she has the physiology of a woman.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, wait wait. The society did not have genders, at no point in the episode is it stated that the J'nail do not possess genitailia.

:devil:

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Turnabout Intruder", final episode of the series.

During shooting, its nickname was "Captain Kirk, Space Queen".

9. Tiberius

Huh?

The article states, "Gender is the range of physical, mental and behavioral characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity."

I clearly said that while Soren may have been emotionally and psychologically a female, she didn't have the physical requirements for it.

In what way is that wrong? Are you suggesting that, despite what they said in the episode, the J'naii actually do have penises and vaginas? What are you trying to say?

10. Tiberius

Okay, now what are you going on about? Where did I say that the J'naii did not have genitals? I have been saying that they all have the SAME genitals! There are no two different types, like we have with male and female.

Are you reading what I'm actually writing, or just creating strawmen?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a thought: Do the J'naii prohibit romantic love? They have outlawed gender, of course. But can two J'naii love each other anyway, without being ostracized? Somehow I got the inkling that they had done this, but I'm not sure.

12. SpaceLover65

Solbor...I had recently heard about a proposed new Star Trek. You seem to know a lot about it. Including that a Deltan was going to be a principal character. Tell me more about it...What station was it supposed to be on? How did you find out so much about it? Is "TMP" The Motion Picture? Or what? Hope you can help me out. Thanks! :)

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, TMP is The Motion Picture.

14. SpaceLover65

Thanks Steinbrenner. But I'm curious about the series that Solbor was talking about. I've very interested in it. I'd seen rumors...but nothing definite. He seemed to know so much about it.

15. SpaceLover65

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  16. SpaceLover65

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

@SpaceLover65: Star Trek: Phase II was the name given to a proposed revival of the original 1960s series. The concept was abandoned, but the work done on the series was parceled out and fertilized future Star Trek Projects, most visibly Star Trek: THe Motion Picture. Among the Phase II concepts were Decker and Ilia (themselves inspirations for Riker and Troi) and many scripts, some of which were reworked into Next Generation episodes. (Others have been filmed by Star Trek:New Voyages/Phas e II fan films.) Memory Alpha has a long article about the show.

My own comment was an extrapolation of how the Ilia character might play out in the long term had it been part of a Phase II series (and not slated to be killed off by V'ger).

18. SpaceLover65

Ok Solbor. I think I NOW understand. You were speaking of the Phase Two Episodes the entire time. So...You're saying that Phase II was actually supposed to be aired? Wow...I didn't know that. Another poster told me that they were just fan-based episodes. I've seen a few of the Phase II and recall that you liked them. I liked a few of them...but many just didn't hold together well. Then there was the fact that they kept switching actors for characters. One of the Spocks was just SO ridiculous looking that it was incredible. Nothing against that actor...but he looked NOTHING even remotely like Spock...even with the black wig and fake ears. The Kirk character wasn't near as handsome as William Shatner was....but they gave him a makeover sometime in between episodes and he was much handsomer. But there were just too many inconsistencies within the show itself...mainly...the actor-change thing. It just became impossible to identify with a character when they were being played by somebody different the next time. Thanks for your info. I really wasn't aware that Phase II was supposed to be a television series. BUT, I recently heard that there was going to be a NEW tv series in the works soon...and it wasn't Phase II.

19. SpaceLover65

That's what I had assumed too Melakon. But Solbor says that it PHASE II, was actually meant to be a series. Maybe that's why the filming and special effect are better than some of the so called "fan films." So..some of it could actually be considered 'cannon." I don't know...but I bet Solbor could tell us. Solbor seems to have a great deal of knowledge about the entire Star Trek Saga...he would know.

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/067/Star-Trek-Phase-II-9780671568399.jpg

20. Tiberius

I doubt it. Soren tells Riker that the procreative act is a long process which is very enjoyable for them.