Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Khan Harrison, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But as a gender men are not always planning their besties downfall, unless there's travelling pants involved.

2. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can totally understand Mulgrew's POV

3. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Virginia Madsen (Oscar winning actress and Chakotay`s love interest from "Unforgetable") about being on Voyager:
    "So much fun on board the ship."
    http://instagram.com/p/aOp8vSA7c6/#

4. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But if the producers felt one has to be able to act, before they can direct, that would explain why Garrote Wang never directed! Not to mention, Wang had no work ethic and was busy partying all the time. So why reward bad behavior and lack of talent?

Wang not getting any acting gigs post Voyager sort of proves that theory. I also find it ironic for all the bad mouthing of Voyager by Wang, that he is reprising his role on the fan project Star Trek Renegades.

5. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Geez, I don't know where to start. First of all.... Garrote? Secondly, who says Garrett Wang can't act? Maybe you should at least admit that the writers hardly gave him any meaty material to sink his teeth in. But when he did get a well written episode, he really showed that he can act and was willing and able to go the extra mile. Examples? Non Sequitur, The Chute and especially Timeless. Thirdly, no work ethic? You and I are in no position to judge him on his work ethic. I never knew until Karabear mentioned it a couple of posts above, that Wang apparently was often times late for work. Was that because he was partying all the time? I don't know. Did he change his ways and started taking his work seriously? Apparently so, since he eventually stayed on the show for the entire seven season run. His desire to want to direct for the show to me seems proof that he was personally invested and interested in the show from a creative standpoint.

How often do you see Gates Mcfadden, Marina Sirtis, Ethan Phillips or Robert Beltran on the screen after Trek? Almost never. Do they all have a poor work ethic? Of course not. There's probably a multitude of reasons why they never had big parts in the business again. Wang probably knew that Trek actors often have a hard time finding acting parts after their Trek stint. It's probably the reason why he and others wanted to direct. And while Robert duncan McNeill and Roxann Dawson have hardly acted at all since Voyager, they now have a steady jobs directing for some great tv shows.

6. Guy Gardener

The argument I heard in direct context to Wang's aspiration, was that if you wanted to direct, you had to teachers pet it, clean the black board erasers after class and shit, help out behind the camera y'know? See how everything works and suck up a little.

but when the 5 o'clock whistle blew, Wang was like outta there like Road Runner.

Meep! Meep!

7. Scotty

:lol:

I doubt anyone on the Voyager set was finished on 5 o'clock. Even Wang.

8. Guy Gardener

I was going to do a spin on the opening credits tot he Flintstones, but it didn't work out as well as I thought it should. That's what the delete button is for. I did however keep a couple words from the notion I aborted.

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Gate evidently doesn't spend a lot of time on TV anymore...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000533/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

What I learned from the Boston convention I attended this year, she is highly involved in a local LA theater.

http://www.ensemblestudiotheatrela.org/

Marina Sirtis was complaining that Gates never used her in a production, but then again she teased that Gates didn't pay enough to make it worth her while to join a production.

http://www.laweekly.com/2011-05-05/...dden-and-their-atwater-village-theaters/full/

As "artistic director" one would assume Gates keeps a tight rein on the expenses.

Marina has worked intermittently but consistently over the years, her recent role in NCIS has the real potential of being recurring.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000642/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Robert Beltran has had a recurring role on the cable show 2009-2010.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000296/filmoseries#tt0421030

He's also been in various stage productions, over the years, which are not tracked by IMDB... obviously.

Ethan "Johnny" Phillips has also worked consistently since Voyager ended in various TV film productions.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680392/?ref_=sr_1

Garrett's IMDB is "short"...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910897/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

...but then I am also unaware of any stage work he might have participated in over the years.

Kate's own IMDB looks sparse over several years, but I know she toured for several years in "Tea at Five", and did various other stage plays for weeks to months at a time... the last one I caught was her Cleopatra in Hartford a few years ago.

Bill Shatner said some interesting things at the Boston convention this year, regarding breaking into the "business". Someone wanted him to read/promote a script and he declined for legal reasons. He then pointed out that people have many avenues available to them that did not exist a decade ago, including self promotion of their own digital films on the internet.

That's what the dude in Ticonderoga does, and he's enticed Tim Russ, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig (sp?), George Takiae (sp?) Garrett Wang to join him for various summer shooting projects. I don't doubt that experience helped Tim Russ in his plans to do "Renegades".

Its one of the reasons that Brent Spiner did his own web based series last year and I suspect why Mulgrew gravitated to the surreal 15 minute NTSFSD:SUV.

These guys want to work, but there are limited jobs out there. If you are going to hire someone, is the first guy on your call sheet going to be the one who's been busy dissing his old bosses and their creative choices, or who had issues getting to work on time in the third season of his first big show?

Anger makes good press and may make you a draw on the convention circuit since people are going to want to hear what you're going to reveal "next"... but will it get you a job?

10. Scotty

It's probably true that in Hollywood you create your own opportunities by auditioning, networking and kissing ass on occassion. Wang's honesty might make him popular on the convention circuit (and has earned him my respect) but it could very well have hurt his carreer. Still, how many roles are written for 44 year old Asian guys?

I'm actually more surprised to learn how critical the fans are of him. Some her speak of him as if he was some kind of uncontrolable loose cannon and ingrateful stuck up party boy. The fact is that most fans here when thinking of the shows production would rather have this idylic happy happy joy joy fantasy picture in their minds than the truth. You attack him because he's being honest and it just isn't what you want to hear. "The set was fun because the guys goofed around and still have dinner once a month!" The fact is that a large part of the cast have voiced criticisms either during or after production of the show. Wang might be one of the more vocal actors, but Beltran, Mulgrew and now Ryan followed suit.

11. Guy Gardener

Gates shows up on Franklin and Bash now and then as a Judge, last week even, I'm waiting for the episode where she sleeps with Franklin or Bash. But they'll probably cop out and pair her off with an age appropriate Malcolm McDowell.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it embarrassing when complaining about how they were treated badly becomes the actors schtick. I think they look bad playing into the fanboy desire to be in on Trek dirt.

13. JanewayRulz!

I "assume" when you say "you attack him" the "you" refers to Wang detractors on the trekbbs in general and not me specifically.

Yes, when specifics were requested, I tried to oblige, but I was doing nothing more than answer the question.

I liked Harry Kim on the show, and Timeless is probably my fav single hour episode of the series, as I discussed in last year's Con thread after meeting Le Var Burton in New Jersey. (He directed the episode).

I miss Jen Lein but never joined the chorus to jettison Wang in favor of Lein. I've seen Garrett Wang at a con in Burbank in 2000 and he was a hoot. Oh, back in 2000 he loved Voyager, loved his coworkers and he did some amazing impressions of Kate Mulgrew as he closed the 3 day con.

Speaking as an employer, "you" don't have to "kiss my a$$" to get along, but "you" do have to treat me with respect and treat "your" coworkers not to mention the job with respect if you want to keep working for me.

I haven't gotten to the point of some employers that monitor their employees social media sites for negative complaints... nor have I taken to the internet to gauge a potential employee's history before they are hired.

If I was Garret, however, I would be concerned of that very thing working in a medium that lives and dies on perception. When I put "Garrett Wang" into google last night, the search engine gave me many options to "search".

"Garrett Wang" was at the top.

"Garrett Wang lazy" was 2nd.

"Garrett Wang Twitter was 3rd.

When you clicked on the 2nd option, this shows up.

https://www.google.com/search?site=...11.0....0...1c.1.22.hp..1.14.1956.M6LWum92KOA

And at the bottom of the page, you find the option to click on "Garrett Wang suspended".

Not an auspicious start when one is checking on a new employee.

I think Garrett needs to continue to "put himself out there" if he wants to work, and yes I would "play nice" and work twice as hard as everyone else when he has the opportunity to do so.

As for your question about how many roles out there are written for 44 year old Asian men, I would first like to ask you... how many roles out there are written for post menopausal, white women?

Marina Sirtis can say at least one... as the head of Mossad on "NCIS".

Gates McFadden can say at least one, as a judge on "Franklin & Bash".

And Kate Mulgrew can say at least 3, on Warehouse 13, NTSFSD:SUV, and on my new fav... "Orange is the New Black".

The biggest complaint from female actors is that they can't get work as they "age", even BEFORE menopause hits.

Lucy Lawless got the reality check re: this issue when she was discussing age with her husband, producer Rob Tapert. She was talking about how the business was increasingly skewed towards young actresses now. He pointed out to his wife that in TODAY'S environment if Xena WP was being cast (instead of in 1995) a 27 year old Lucy and 25 year old Renee would NOT be considered "young" enough to do the show. :eek:

14. Guy Gardener

Garrett was in Rock Jocks recently which I saw a couple days ago. Modern 80s movie. Very fun. He had one scene. He played a "(Shift) Captain" which I didn't notice till now on IMDB, which is kinda funny. But Jason fricking Mewes was trusted with a larger part than Garrett! What I think Happened...

"Mr Picardo sir..."

"Yes Garrett?"

"Mr Picardo, please I'm going to be homeless, I can't make my rent, can you please shuffle me into one of your many many ongoing film projects? Please, sir, I've always looked up to you. You're my hero, and you're ever so handsome."

"Wash my car, and I'll think about it."

"Yes sir, thank you sir, you're a blessing."

Seriously the casting on this thing...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869653/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It was done at Comicon.

15. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless I'm missing a whole host of Asians on TV, I'd say that there are way more roles for white, older women than there are for Asians of any age.

Jeri works steadily. As does Kate. As does Connie Britton. As does Dana Delany. Should I go on?

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Jessica Lange is super popular right now on American Horror and she's like...64.

Sure, it's HARDER as your get older, but there is always a need for older women in good roles. They are difficult to come by though and I think they tend to be more selective about the older candidates.

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

if I was a trek actor I would just live off of conventions and autographs

18. Katie O'Clare

Katie O'Clare Lieutenant Red Shirt

And also look at Judi Dench. She got popular in Hollywood well after her 50ies.

19. JanewayRulz!

Yes, there should theoretically be more roles for older women based on population alone. The females over 65 in 2010 were 7.4% of the US population, while 5.6 % of the US population (male & female, all ages) had an Asian background.

Q&A about Ageism in Hollywood ... http://www.medialit.org/reading-room/how-does-hollywood-handle-ageism

Which concluded with a very interesting stat.

"Between 1969 and 1980 only one percent of network shows featured characters 65 and older. Their omission apparently reflects the sentiment of a market-based, productivity-obsessed culture. Since the elderly are seen as past their prime as productive employees and consumers, they are no longer important enough to dramatic social life to merit major dramatic roles or be used as positive role models in advertisements."
    — Lawrence A. Powell and John B. Williamson ​

More interesting quotes re: ageism in Hollywood found here. http://www.inthetrenchesproductions.com/ageism.html

Speaking of "available TV/Film roles" for the four middle aged women you discussed. (I skipped the voice work in video games), IMDB reports...

45 year old Jeri Ryan has 180 TV/Film credits for 17 roles since 2003.

57 year old Dana Delaney has 161 credits for 28 different roles since 2003.

46 year old Connie Britton has 138 credits for 21 different roles since 2003.

58 year old Kate Mulgrew has 68 credits for 11 roles since 2003... although all but 2 credits were for work since 2007.

# of Asian males roles? I came up with these four guys just because I've heard of them.

52 year old BD Wong (L&O:SVU) has 256 credits for 10 roles since 2003.

45 year old Daniel Dae Kim (Voyager & LOST alum!) has 239 credits for 29 roles since 2003.

Also on H5-0... 39 year old Masi Oka (& Heroes) has 162 credits for 35 roles since 2003.

41 year old John Cho (the new Sulu!) has 101 credits for 40 roles since 2003.

Maybe it is an anti-Trek backlash for Garrett Wang, or maybe the parts aren't big enough to warrant his attention, or maybe he (like Mulgrew) did stage work that isn't recorded at IMDB.com, or maybe TPTB really didn't like his long hair, or maybe he got burned out on acting for awhile... but I don't think one can simply say "there aren't enough Asian parts out there" for Garrett to go after.

It was encouraging to see several things completed or in progress for him this year. I just hope we don't see his projects languish before going straight to dvd (it did, right?) like Neil Harris & Kate Mulgrew's 2010 movie "The Best and the Brightest." (I didn't realize it was finally released on DVD. I may have to buy it.)

I like all these actors and hope the best for them in their chosen profession. I know from listening to various podcasts on fav TV shows that the actors are really only happy (like all of us) when they can practice their chosen profession.

20. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

"The Best and the Brightest" is on Netflix, if you have it! :)