Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by cblmc1296, Dec 1, 2011.

1. cblmc1296

cblmc1296 Commander Red Shirt

I watched Trek Nation on the Science Channel tonight and had the pleasure of seeing it with my 13 year old son. We both thought it was terrific. We knew going in that "Rod" Roddenberry would make it about his take on Star Trek and his father's role in it but we were very pleasantly surprised at the poignant journey of discovery Rod ended up going on. We (my son and I) exchanged a lot of knowing glances and chatter during and a big hug afterward.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it and whether you watched it with a parent or a child and what impact if any it had?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen it yet, though from the marketing materials I've seen it looks like they're pushing the "Gene Roddenberry: Visionary" idea pretty hard. I would like to see it eventually, though.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been waiting see see this since I heard about it a number of years ago, unfortunately I don't have the Science Channel. I'm hoping it will be streamed online eventually or at least go to DVD/Bluray.

4. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Make it the way he sees it and let the people decide. I think that's a great idea.

5. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I didn’t like how the documentary didn’t acknowledge Gene Roddenberry’s first marriage, where he two daughters that appeared in the episode Miri, even though they claimed that he cheated on Majel. They use an 80’s clip of Roddenberry talking about he “lost his family” when he was working on the original series and they showed a picture of him with Majel and Rod to emphasis this. How could he of lost that family when he wasn’t remarried until after the show was cancelled? They also tried to make it seem like Roddenberry couldn’t get any work after Star Trek, because of his “bold vision.” BULLSHIT. He produced Pretty Maids All in a Row, three failed pilot and worked on the animated series (which wasn’t mentioned), so he wasn’t starving until he got the deal to do the motion picture.

6. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

It was good, better than I expected!

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Haven't seen it, but I'd be willing to.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Comes on tonight at 3am on SciHD, Tivo is set to record.

9. cblmc1296

Yeah, as much as I liked it, as I was a bit disappointed that his first marriage and his daughters weren't mentioned. It did make that comment from the 80's interview seem rather strange as he wasn't married to Majel until '69 and they didn't have Rod until '74.

10. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I rather liked it. ;) A fitting albeit fragmented biography on Gene. Also reminded me of the good times when Trek was still on a front burner. The good ol' days, I suppose.

11. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you see lots of familiar Trek faces in this..or does it concentrate more on Roddenberry and TOS?:)
    I am looking forward of seeing this, it does seem very interesting judging from the trailers.

12. cblmc1296

It definitely concentrates on Roddenberry as it is, for all intents and purposes, about him. Nevertheless there are a lot of familiar faces even for those fans who didn't cut their teeth on TOS (e.g. Stewart, Frakes, Wheaton, Bakula, Rick Berman, Ron Moore, and others).

13. BillJ

Bad.

Fifty percent things I already knew and fifty percent pity party for the son.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

14. JonLuck Pickerd

JonLuck Pickerd Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems like he was really a punk spoiled teen. Even Majel didn't have a lot to say to him.

15. BillJ

I nearly fell outta my chair with hysterical laughter when he said he liked the fact his Dad cheated on his Mom, it made him "seem more human". :guffaw:

16. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

It made me scream out loud, "YOUR OWN MOTHER WAS ONE OF HIS MISTRESSES DURING HIS FIRST MARRIAGE!!!” Why do you think she landed a lead role in The Cage? She was dismissed because she was a HORRIBLE actress (emphasis on the "WHORE") and the executives knew she was there because she was sleeping with the producer. Seriously, what happened to Roddenberry’s surviving daughter? Last I heard, she tried to sue Majel Barrett. I’m sure she would have much more interesting stories for Rod to hear, rather than hearing Nichelle Nichols’ MLK story… AGAIN. Also, I wish that he would have spoken with Harlan Ellison about Roddenberry. He always worth a few laughs and doesn't beat around the bush about people.

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched it today. Not bad but not amazing. It acknowledges that Gene Roddenberry wasn't perfect but overall paints him in a positive light. It also seems to cast a bright, positive light on Trek and Trek fans in general.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Any news on if this will be available via streaming or on DVD?

19. borg3060

borg3060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At the Vegas con this past August, Rod confirmed that it will be available on DVD at some point soon, with additional cut scenes.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator