My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Oh, she retains enough self-control to be able to give consent; this just helps her enjoy doing so a bit more. Much more akin to a spine-tingling massage than human-style drunkenness.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno. I'm still getting a blow up doll vibe here.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Eek, 22nd century roofies.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I'm surprised in 7 seasons of DS9 we never saw Quark try and pawn off some roofies.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

yup.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

How was I supposed to know that! :p I haven't gotten that far yet.

I don't know that this is the case because from what I remember of the episode, it didn't seem to say that any contact through melding would cause the syndrome to occur, so it's very possible, I think, that had her partner been responsible that she wouldn't have contracted the syndrome.

I don't remember them saying it was a forgotten technique, just that only a certain subculture of their species practiced it. Canon is whatever happened in the series, but there's good canon and bad canon. I'm not sure that this episode falls into the latter category, well, because I don't know enough about Vulcans to know. I just think it was wrong of that guy to talk her into something when he knew he was infected (how could he not know?), but of course he only cared about his own personal satisfaction, so...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canamar

[​IMG]

This episode was also interesting. How that government could just capture people and send them to jail with no real evidence was sad. If they had bothered checking into Trip and Archer's story, then a whole lot of trouble could have been avoided. I'm sure the same is true for other innocents.

Grade: B

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Fun note: "Canamar" was actually inspired by the original ending of "Judgment." Apparently they liked the idea so much that they decided to turn it into a full fledged episode.

Nobody seemed to think it would make sense to set the episode after "Judgment" and write it so that it would fit, however. :vulcan:

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know.. I never noticed that about Camanar and Judgement... it might've made Judgement seem less of a cheap rip off of Star Trek VI.

Camanar really was just a random alien/problem of the week on it's own and could've been more meaningful too if it was written like that.

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

The Crossing
    [​IMG]

This was okay. I liked the way the inside of their (the "wisps") ship looked.

Grade: C
    ---------

Judgment
    [​IMG]

The guy who plays Martok is in this one! :)

In this episode he plays captain Archer's advocate. He really shines in this episode and I like the part where he talks about the different classes and how the standard for being an honorable warrior had become so low, and I also like how he takes a stand in the courtroom and at the end.

Grade: A minus

10. teacake

Judgement has everything I'm bored with, the trial scene (least favorite Trek storyline), Klingons.. but I love this episode and a lot of that is about the advocate. Writing is very good too.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

I'm the opposite with the Klingons part. Trials, they can be really good or bad. It depends.
    ----------------

Horizon
    [​IMG]

Poor Mayweather. Archer telling him about his father's recommendation was so touching. It was nice that Travis got to meet with his family and teach his brother a few things.

Grade: B plus
    -------------

The Breach
    [​IMG]

This was an interesting episode about tolerance and forgiveness. Phlox has gradually moved from being an annoying character to someone you can actually like and feel for. I'm also noticing that T'Pol doesn't use as many contractions. It was nice to see a trio other than Trip, Archer, and T'Pol.

Grade: B

12. teacake

Boy I'm getting creaky, had to look The Breach up to remember what it was. A classic Trek ep full of LESSONS about prejudice. Yeah.

I love Phlox so Phlox heavy eps have my approval.

They should have canned Horizon in favor of a soap opera ep about Phlox and his lovely wives.

13. Gaith

Your grades seem to be getting more forgiving. Stockholm Syndrome? ;)

14. teacake

:guffaw:

Isn't that how we all sit there, nodding along to all kinds of Trek nonsense?

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

I just try to enjoy the series for what it is. Things that are ongoing problems, like the captain, I try not to hold against the series. I base my grades on rewatchability, but of course when you get used to something you might be kinder. So, I guess that's a possibility.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

A "C" grade? This was the first Enterprise episode I ever saw, and I remember that I had just seen "The Lights Of Zetar" a few weeks earlier (which wasn't one of TOS's best episodes) but I felt like this was a sorry rip-off of Zetar and wasn't even interesting. Even the last episodes of Voyager (with B'Elanna crying about her kid) were better than this piece of trash where the plot was used up in the first ten minutes, and then it was fifty-(yawn) boring minutes of hiding and talking about what to do.

Grade: R(eject)

(Zetar I would give a Rating of B- too.)

17. Gaith

Didn't much care for "The Crossing" either - and Berman admitted it went nowhere, IIRC - but at least the massive ship made for a nice change of scale. Far better than another boring cave or two a la "The Breach", though neither were really much fun.

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Well that first VHS that I saw also had the Klingon court episode, and then went upto the Borg episode (but it only did that because my uncle had missed the Canamar episode). By the end of the tape I remember thinking how the Borg episode had been the only near-near-decent episode on the whole tape (and by near-near I mean it wasn't near decent, but it was just below). But now that I've seen all 4 seasons on DVD I can see that the first three seasons were piles of trash that somehow made it out of space dock and onto TV. Perhaps it was fitting that the series ended with TATV being he piece of trash it was.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Well, Tom, I probably haven't seen Zetar, and most of the episodes of TOS I have seen were so long ago that I can't remember them. I'm honestly just going off of these episodes as they stand by themselves and how they work within this series. Maybe that makes me too nice, but no one's going to claim I'm nice on how I rated this next episode. I don't know about garbage, but I beg to differ on Judgment. That was the only episode I've seen so far that kind of made me feel like I was watching a DS9 caliber episode--kind of. And for this series, that garners an A-. It's all relative.

I decided long ago not to hold things, like the captain, that were clearly going to be ongoing issues against the entire series, and to just go off of what I think the rewatchability factor is for a fresh viewer. So, for you, it may be a total Reject, and that's fine, but I still grade it as a C. This means that the episode is rewatchable, but there's nothing about it that would cause a fresh viewer to love it or hate it for any particular reason.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Congenitor
    [​IMG]

"It has no name." Okay, something's up with that. I was a little suspicious when these newly met beings were willing to provide upgrades and such without knowing the Enterprise crew and that Archer would appear to accept so readily. Too good to be true comes to mind. I think this is also the first mention of neutrinos.

The, I guess, genderism of this species is so sad. I think they don't allow the cogenitors to read or write or make choices or participate in society because it sounds like you need all 3 sexes to reproduce, and since cogenitors are only 3% of the population, if they are allowed to choose who they mate with, then the roles might be reversed and they might have all of the power and that probably scares the majority. As advanced as they are technologically, there is no reason to believe they don't know that the cogenitor's intelligence is the same as theirs, so why they treat them as subhuman, and how casual they are with their hatred, is once again so sad. The cogenitor is basically a sex-slave, and these "nice people" are her oppressors.

"You did exactly what I'd do? If that's true, then I've been setting a pretty lousy example around here." - Archer ;)

Trip was just as clumsy and reckless about doing the right thing, and it's interesting that Archer sees his approach as different. He's offered help to people before they've asked for it. And once the "girl" realized what help was, she wanted it desperately. To me, it kind of seemed like Archer wanted to look the other way because of the cool tech they had access to.

"Do you know how long we've waited to be given a Cogenitor?" just seals the deal on how bad these people are. She's clearly seen as "property for rent" and nothing more. I'm so disgusted. As soon as "she" got a taste of freedom, that poor Cogenitor just couldn't go back when she saw that there was more to life than what was forced onto "her." Such a sad story, and I hope sometime in the future of this series, the Cogenitors rise up for their independence.

Archer's little speech at the end, while right in its own way, was dead wrong. That "woman" had the right to CHOOSE not to help that couple have a child if she didn't want to. She was not their property, and whatever child could have been had would have been a child born of rape, and I do mean rape. The same way underage teens aren't able to give consent, neither was she because of how she'd been brought up to not have any choices. Both are issues of development: One, in which the development is natural, and the other, where the development is purposefully impeded by outside forces/sexes.

And maybe if the good old captain hadn't been out joyriding for a few days, the issue of how they treat their Cogenitors could have been at least addressed in a diplomatic way as a difference between peoples, and Trip wouldn't have had to try acting alone when he saw an injustice. I get the whole "Prime Directive" aspect of this, and the advice T'Pol and Phlox gave Trip was right while Archer was gone, but Trip was right too. That poor "girl" lived more in a couple of days with him than she did in her entire existence.

Grade: F plus