Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info, CorporalClegg

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

JC is a pretty full server, and I've been starting to get the queue even though the wait isn't long, so that might be a problem if we set up on that server. I'd be willing to create a character wherever most end up going. I was thinking Harbinger, but I can go wherever.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Well, if it up to me, we go on Jung Ma, but I kind of figured most people wouldn't want to do that. I have touched any of my characters there since the first merger, but I've been messing around with them over the past week and the latency isn't as big an issue as I thought it would be (though still noticeable). I'm just sick and tired of the Bastion bullshit for my PvP fix. That place is a cesspool.

On the plus side, it is one of the lighter servers, so queues wouldn't be a big of an issue. Harbinger is actually more populated than JC, it just peaks later for most--since most of you are east coast/EU.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Maybe I've just been really lucky, but I've been in a log-in queue all of twice since the game went F2P and the wait have never been very long (5mins tops.) Even when it says 'server full' when I log in there's almost never any problem.

So anyway, so far we have votes for Covenant, Harb, Red Eclipse & Jung Ma...could we get anymore spread out? ;)
    Honestly, if we plan to start new alts from scratch the server doesn't matter so much. What we really need to decide is what faction should we favour and what classes do we pick?

I'd certainly appreciate it! My operative on Harb has around 300K right now and enough resources in reserve to make that again within a week. So I should be able to pay back half right up front. The pain of it is though, it'd have to be a face-to face trade since afaik even prefs aren't allowed to mail credits. If you want to PM me with the name of one of your Harb server characters, I'll add to friends in game the next time I log on.

Incidentally, the main way I make credits with that character is selling mats on GTN, so if you need any for crafting that comes from slicing, scavenging or Underworld Trading, I should be able to get you some if I don't already have it in stock.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. Owain Taggart

You're likely right, Clegg. I play in the evening, and during that time, Harbinger is rather low, with JC being full, but I guess it's all a matter of perspective depending on when one plays. And I've had much the same experience with the queue, Rev. I was just thinking in terms of grouping, would we be all allowed to log on when the server peak is at full, and so on.

I'm gunning for either Smuggler or Trooper. Though I wouldn't be opposed playing on the Empire's side if that's what we decide to do :) Whatever happens, I'm game.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm not especially bothered about which class or faction. Is there any general consensus as to which has the best stories? I know Agent is generally said to be the best and the consular story is said to be pretty poor, but what about the others? I've only completed the inquisitor story for myself so I can't really say.

If I had to choose a preference though, I think for Imperial I'd go for either an Operative/healer or a Warrior/tank. For Republic I'm thinking either a Knight Sentinel/DPS or a Gunslinger/DPS.

7. CorporalClegg

My personal rank of the stories is (take it for what it's worth):

Operative
    Knight
    Trooper
    Inquisitor
    Smuggler
    Warrior
    Bounty Hunter
    Consular

They're all good in their own way. But, yeah con is definitely the weakest of the bunch. Keep in mind I've never finished Warrior or BH, anyway. Found them too boring. Some of the cerebral aspects of consular were at least enough to keep me playing.

8. Owain Taggart

Yeah, if we go Imperial, I'll likely go with Agent.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Is there anyone on Red Eclipse that would be willing to help my sniper get through the Black Talon? Seems like everyone is running dps and aren't interested in teaming up with a sniper.

I could also use advice on setting up my hotbar (for low level). I found some guides for setting up lvl 50 snipers, but I don't have those abilities yet. I've tried setting up the abilities that I want, but as soon as I go to "cover", the bar changes...

I also picked up an emote for threaten or something like that, but can't find it in abilities anywhere. Am I missing something? Thanks.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Sure. PM me your character's name and I'll meet you on the fleet. My operative could do with the social points.

As for the hotbar; it's a pain, but cover classes actually have an extra bar that switches with #1 whenever you take cover. The way I do it is that I take the abilities that can only be used in cover off the main bar and those that can't be used in cover are only on the main bar. Preferably in the equivalent slots.

For example, with my operative the second and third buttons are set to the two vibroknife attacks on the "walking" bar while the "cover" bar uses those to slots for snipe and the explodey probe wotsit.

11. CorporalClegg

You can't turn the cover bar off. But it is a good function. Keep in mind your sniper-specific skills only have to be in the cover bar. You can remove the regular skills from it. So just put things like Explosive Probe, Snipe and Ambush.

Put skills you can use both from cover and standing in the lower bar (rifle shot, Frag grenade, flash bang, overload shot etc.)

You can leave the normal top bar empty for now. Eventually you'll want to start mirroring things because you'll have skills you can use both on the run and from cover and run out of room on the bottom bar.

That's the best I can do since I never play snipers, and the only time I ever use cover as an Operative is to pop Explosive Probe so I have a lot more leeway with the top bar.

The only annoying bar is the cover bar keeps what ever keybinds you normally have for the top bar. So you'll have to fiddle and move things around a bit to get it where you like.

12. Rocketeer

Appreciate these /\ /\ comments, I'll give these a try.

It really drives me crazy when I think I have everything setup. I go up against a boss, hit cover, and the abilities I need disappears. Things go downhill rapidly from there...

13. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Is deactivating cover bar locked for FTP users?

14. Owain Taggart

I like the cover bar, and actually I wish more MMOs would have that, or more precisely context sensitive bars. Right now, my JK is stuck on Quesh as I'm finding the difficulty to be rather high, and I'm having more fun with my smuggler right now.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I had no idea that was even possible. Honestly, though it was a pain at first, once I got used to it I rather like the cover bar. I've never liked the whole mind boggling swarm of buttons thing that most MMOs and some RPGs go in for. It gets very cumbersome and once you've figured out a good rotation, combat becomes very repetitive.

Seriously, the other day I ran a flashpoint and was able to be an effective healer while *barely* paying attention. I was running crew skills and reverse engineering in the middle of fights, while reading codex entries in between battles. Just being physically able to do that is not a good sign.

16. CorporalClegg

I don't know "some;" that's like every videogame RPG ever. They're repetitive by nature. But don't complain about it until you start running 16-man Ops. ;)

Besides, that's what PvP is for. :p

That depends on the FP and everyones level/gear.

Running T5 with a bunch of twinked 35s is a cakewalk. Continuing on with the same group into Maelstrom, not so much.

And also, <50 content is way easier than 50 content. Even with the free Tionese stuff, hopping into HMs (Save for Esseles, Black Talon, and T5) and SM Ops can still be a challenge for most PUGs.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Depends on which RPGs you play. The first ones I ever got into were Fallout and Deus Ex, neither typical for the genre I'll grant you but you can't help first impressions.

The only fantasy RPGs I've been able to get on with are the Dragon Age games and even those can get a bit much. Having said that, I did like how DA2 streamlined things so instead of adding ever more abilities, you level up the basic attacks making them more powerful and added combos. It wasn't perfect, but a step in the right direction.

BTW, if you're still up for acquiring the artifact authorization for me, I think my Harb seller character has about 300K stored in the mail box, so I should be able to pay 600 up-front. Best time to buy is probably Saturday. Mid-week prices are always inflated.

18. Rocketeer

Reverend, I actually like roleplaying better than combat. My Jedi Shadow on The Ebon Hawk is set up using the combat rotation from Noxxic. Since implementing that, he hasn't been defeated. So now combat is just another task that he must do as he progresses. My Commando is effective for ranged dps, but I've discovered that fights finish faster if he just heals the Jedi's as they chop on the enemies. I think the ability is Combat Support Cell.

My sniper on Red Eclipse is much different. That one likes to one-shot enemies and engage in snarky conversation.

I was only on for a short while last night. No guarantees tonight as I'm still a little light headed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  19. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just tried to play but my account is locked due to too many failures at my security questions, which I'm pretty sure I didn't do. Great the customer service I have to call is in the UK...my phone provider will enjoy that.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I decided to give this a try last week and downloaded it. I've been enjoying it for the most part, though for some reason once I get off of the starter planets, instead of continuing on I make a new character in a different class. :ouch:

Right now I've got a Smuggler and a Bounty Hunter on Jedi Covenant, and an Imperial Agent on Ebon Hawk. I'm thinking of doing a Trooper on Ebon Hawk soon. Surprisingly in a game that focuses heavily on Jedi vs. Sith, I have little interest in playing either one. :lol: