The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yes I've posted and discussed that earlier in this thread about Bane's connection with Batman and Ra's Al Ghul.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Simple.

If the movie needs to have Bane come out and figure out Bruce Wayne's identity and outsmart Batman EVEN BETTER THAN THE JOKER DID and flag the fact he did it BETTER THAN THE JOKER this could feel on the nose. The Joker is going to be a barometer anyway, and telling the audience Bane's outsmarting Batman in a better manner then his old antagonist is inartful. If they want to write Bane as a smart strong man (quite probably the case) that could work. But it's best they keep the focus on how he thinks without comparing him to past villains at all. The antagonist should stand on his own two feet in that sense.

Hey, I never said I could do better then Nolan. There's a reason one of us is an unemployed hack writing on a Star Trek bulletin forum at four in the morning and the other guy is the moneymaking toast of town.

3. Admiral_Young

To be fair, Nolan is quite aware that the Joker was set as the barometer in terms of villains and Heath's performance in the role was overshadowing everything else in that film. He has said as soon as the film's release that he didn't know if a sequel would happen because he didn't know how to top it. Then later on Nolan started to say that they would do another film not to top "The Dark Knight" but to tell a good story. So with that being said I believe that Nolan and company were able to find their story. It's going to be interesting to see how everything fits together.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not at all. Keep in mind that in The Dark Knight, a nebbishy WayneTech accountant was able to deduce Batman's identity, and that didn't show up the Joker. The fact is, the Joker didn't really want to know Batman's identity. He could've probably figured it out if he'd bothered to try, but he wasn't concerned with that. What he was concerned with was making his point that life was meaningless and anything that people believed in was futile and empty. He demanded that Batman reveal his identity to the public, not because he genuinely wanted to know it, but because he wanted to deconstruct the city's hero, tear down the people's hope. He was actually hoping that Batman wouldn't reveal his identity and therefore prove himself a hypocrite.

So it's really apples and oranges. The Joker wasn't specifically targeting Batman, except when it suited him as part of his overall strategy to bring anarchy to Gotham City. He didn't even really have anything against Batman and was happy to let him live so they could keep on playing the game. The Joker was targeting Gotham itself. Batman was merely an obstacle that he worked around or subverted to his own use in pursuit of his goal of tearing down the social order. So if Bane specifically targets Batman, that's a different dynamic, in terms of both character and theme. There's no direct comparison.

Besides, it's all about what fits best into the evolving character and thematic arc of the films. BB was about Bruce becoming a symbol of hope and justice in a city so corrupt that it needed a hero to step up. TDK was about Gotham reclaiming its own sense of decency, picking up the mantle so that Batman no longer had to carry it alone. Even when the Joker tried to bring out the worst in Gotham's citizens, they proved themselves able to rise above it -- and with Batman no longer needed as a hero to inspire the people, he embraced the role of a villain and let them stand on their own. So the next film needs to grow from that in terms of the theme and the character arc. Batman is a hero masquerading as a fallen hero, making himself an outcast for the good of Gotham. How does that affect him? Where does he go from there? Can he redeem himself, or even survive? That's where the story is. Not whether one villain is better than the last villain. What matters is that the villain serves the particular story that needs to be told about Bruce Wayne, Batman, and Gotham City.

5. Admiral_Young

Wow you two are just dominating and hogging the thread. Great job fellas.

6. Christopher

You're welcome to contribute to the discussion or carry on another parallel one if you like. It's not like there's a finite number of posts the thread can hold. The only way two people can "dominate" a thread is if nobody else is choosing to contribute.

7. Admiral_Young

I believe I have contributed a couple of times which has gone ignored. No one else is going to contribute when the two of you keep bantering back and forth.

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just waiting for some more concrete news to discuss.
    Not too unlike the Superman thread that went a bit off track for a few pages.

Till then I'll just keep popping back in and checking unless I find some info worthy of posting myself.

9. Admiral_Young

Yeah there's nothing to discuss right now.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ph8xOGLvdw&NR=1[/YT]

11. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

This is more sort of non-news, but it is vaguely on-topic. I don't know if this is a joke or just an amazing coincidence, but I thought it was pretty neat.

As a commenter at the linked site noted, it sounds just a little less implausible that Nolan could have taken this character from a Batman colouring book if you buy into the story that he got the idea for "Inception" from a Scrooge McDuck comic. :p

12. Obiwanshinobi

Wouldn't surprise me. Memento he probably got from an acid trip where he was only remembering sequencing happening backwards.

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It all makes sense. John Blake is still pissed off that The Joker took his report card. I mean, Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks pretty young. It's conceivable he was a kid when The Dark Knight was happening.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dark Knight Rises begins filming May 6th in India.

Click here for more. Very exciting that filming will officially commence soon! :D

15. Most threads are unfortunately like this ever since they decided to consolidate "all" discussion about a specific movie/franchise into one thread. Maybe it's like 3 or 4 people, but it's definately the same couple of people. Plus i think the super long 30-page thread keeps people away because of its length, if you miss a few days it becomes a burden to catch up.

The "hum" and "alive buzz" of new news gets lost. It's a common mistake I've seen by moderators of many different well-visited forums of all different subject matters.

16. Christopher

Whoa, neat location.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Here's a fan made trailer.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RppxhOdby4&feature=player_embedded#at=29[/YT]

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of that Uncle Scrooge story, I have that issue at home. It's a sequel of sorts of Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck; you have to be familiar with at least the "main" volume of that for part of the story to make sense. That said, I quite liked it, it's a fun story.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if there will be any robots in TDKR...

20. Admiral_Young

"The Batman Complex" would be an awesome concept for a film. I loved that.