STVI without the racism

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by sonak, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'm glad a novel at least addresses this. I'll have to pick that one up as I haven't read it.

2. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Even without books, it seemed as if something had soured Federation and Klingon relations in the years between Star Treks V and VII.

But then, I tend to think that the situation between the Federation and Klingons was never stable during Kirk's time, with alternating periods of hostility and détente, IMO.

4. Captain_Q

Captain_Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In TOS Klingons were always assholes. They have always been assholes to some extent up until TNG. But even in TNG they're assholes sometimes. How would you treat a person who always acts like an asshole whenever you encounter them? It's not racism.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like to think that there was an off-screen, nasty run in with klingons right before Praxis, making the older crew a little miffed.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I think it's safe to assume that like any real-world relationship between opposing peoples, it's going to have its ebb and flow, and for any frontline officer, over time this is going to take a toll.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk is very much motivated by a personal bigotry. Kruge killed his son, and that is at the forefront of his feelings. "I can never forgive them for the death of my boy." He blames them all for the act of one. That's at least half of his problem. The other half is... Well, in the title. He admits to Bones he's uneasy about the idea of "no more neutral zone. I was used to hating Klingons."

Though it's true that many of the situations between Enterprise's crew and the klingons never began very nicely, many of them did turn out quite amicably in TOS. In Errand and Dove, both situations seem to end with a bit of understanding. Both show at least the faintest chance for peace between the two sides.

Also, let's not forget Trouble with Tribbles. What does Chekov say? Oh yeah... "Clwose enuf tu smel dem."

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    And don't forget the Organians prediction in "Errand" - and the fact that Kor and Kirk, who were at each other's throats for most of the episode, were positively chummy at the prospect of working together against the Organians. However, I suspect that's mostly so they could finish cleaning each other's clocks. Not unlike what we got with the conspirators in TUC? :rommie:

9. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I remember that comment. He certainly didn't seem to mind getting close to Kang's wife, Mara. ;)

10. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Have you considered that the Americans would have been correct and justified? Many Japanese carry with them the belief that they are both culturally AND genetically (traditionally isolated and therefore pure) superior to Americans (try working with Toyota or Honda for a few years if you doubt me). Klingons have ALWAYS been portrayed as believing that they are superior to "earthers." The Klingons in TUC are almost totally different characterizations of traditional Klingons (i.e. Gowron) than we have seen before. Am I the only one who noticed the effeminacy of Chang? Where else do you see this in Trek?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the novelization for STVI has something exactly along this line. Some sort of klingon attack/massacre on a Federation colony world. Been a long while since I read it, but I seem to remember a scence with Kirk visiting a horribly injured Carol Marcus in a hospital.

An event like this right before what we see in STVI might explain some of the attitudes of the Enteprise crew, I think.