College Football 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 31, 2012.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

U mad, bro? :D

In all seriousness, a BCS game featuring Alabama and Notre Dame would likely have the highest television ratings in the history of the contest. Not just because of the millions of Alabama and Notre Dame fans, but the millions upon millions of people who hate the success both programs have had over the past 100 years.

People who don't follow college football at all probably didn't even know Oregon and Kansas had colleges with football teams!

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm certainly not mad about Alabama's involvement. I like having the SEC on top of the college football world (unless it's Florida). Obviously, I'd prefer it were the boys in Orange & White, but that ship has sailed and it's not 1998 anymore. As for Notre Dame, yeah, I've got a big problem with them being in the national title picture. Not a fan of the boys from South Bend.

While I completely understand that having these two recognizable programs going at it would "put butts in the seats," I also love variety, seeing underdog teams who've never had a chance in the spotlight rise up to have their day. The "Rocky" scenario. It's a rare thing, but it does happen, even in the NFL.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

OSU - 26
    Mich - 21

Man am I glad that one's over!

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to a Georgia/ND championship. But either Bama or UGA is going to roll all over Notre Dame. They haven't played an SEC team since 2006, where they were obliterated by LSU in a bowl game.

I find it hilarious that after 25 years of media hype that Notre Dame is finally relevant and NBC doesn't even get the game that everybody was watching yesterday.

5. Caligula

:techman: Perhaps, when Notre Dame gets their butts kicked by Alabama/Georgia, the AP will see fit to grant Ohio State the #1 ranking. They would be the only unbeaten team left in that scenario. That's gotta count for something.

It is kinda funny but, as I understand it, the reason behind this is that NBC only gets Notre Dame's home games.

6. tighr

Didn't bother me what network it was on. I was sitting in the stands.

Although, I do gotta hand it to the USC fans... the vast majority of fans at the tailgate were extremely cordial. Very few assholes. Being 7-4 will probably do that to ya.

7. Neroon

I have my doubts that they belong in the top 5, though I do consider them top 10 at least. Stewart Mandel sums up my feelings nicely, in his column today

An undefeated season anymore is quite an accomplishment, even with a weak conference like the B1G. Still, I'm not one to place THAT much significance on it, at least not over a team that is clearly superior with 1 loss - like Bama, Georgia, or Florida. Throw Oregon and possibly Kansas St as well, as being better teams than an undefeated Ohio St.

8. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe that GA is more than capable of beating Bama just as ND is more than capable of beating the winner of the SEC champ. and i have a dog in this hunt I'm a Alabama fan. but i try to be honest about my team. Beside i know alot of dawg fans and they have nothing but class so if we lose to you good luck beating ND.

9. Neroon

Anyone watching Baylor vs Okla St? Lache Seastrunk for Baylor just hit a 76 yd TD run... the last 40 of which came after he pulled a hamstring or an extremely bad leg cramp. You could just see him lurch when it hit him and then he runs through it and stumbles the last few yards into the end zone. Manly play that was!

10. tighr

Ouch...... I just pulled my hamstring a few weeks ago playing flag football with some buddies, and those injuries hurt like absolute hell. He's gonna feel (and see) that in a week. Amazing that he was able to complete the run, he must have been on some serious adrenaline.

11. Neroon

Okay the latest word is that it was a severe leg cramp. Still, that he gutted it out like that and kept running... that TD was the difference in the game.

Anyone watching Bama vs Georgia? GREAT game for the fan who just wants to sit back and enjoy football!

12. tighr

Yeah. Nailbiter if you're a fan of either team... like me.

13. Neroon

I am decidedly NOT a fan of the SEC, but man... I am LOVING this game! Back-n-forth, Rocky vs Apollo!

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Great game. Heartbreaking way to end it for Georgia, though.

15. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great game GA you had us against the ropes and out played us most of the game, and as always your coach showed a lot of class. I hope you win it all next year.

16. Caligula

The SEC title game was a heartstopper, for sure. Anyone who still thinks Georgia isn't the real deal is just kidding themselves. I wish they could get better than the Cotton Bowl. They're clearly better than the Florida Gators (and proved as much on the field)! The Big Ten championship game just about had my eyes bugging out of my head. I would have been surprised enough by a Wisconsin victory, but I never thought I would see the Cornhuskers as thoroughly humiliated. 70-31?!

As far as dramatics go, I've gotta give a shoutout to a local high school game. The finish to the Class 6A Tennessee HS State Final between Maryville and Whitehaven actually outdid the ending to the Alabama/Georgia game, in my opinion. With about a minute left, Maryville had scored a touchdown to bring the game to within a one-point margin, 28-27. In what I thought was an uncharacteristically risky move on their part, the Rebels went for two and seemed to have converted and won the game.... but they were flagged for an ineligible receiver in the end zone. So they kick the PAT instead and it's off OT. Or is it? Whitehaven powers their way downfield and seem positioned to steal it in regulation. But, without any timeouts, the Tigers' QB forgets to spike the ball and the clock keeps moving. They try a running play instead, Maryville holds, and the clock runs out. Seems like the kind of thing LSU would do, doesn't it? In OT, Maryville goes first and scores with ease. A PAT after and it's 35-28, Maryville. Whitehaven also has little trouble making it into the end zone. But the Tigers decide they're gonna go for the win. The Tigers either really fake the Rebels defense out or simply performed one of the best examples of goal line blocking I've ever seen, because their RB walks into the end zone for the winning two-point conversion. FINAL SCORE: Whitehaven 36, Maryville 35.

Maryville HS has been an insanely good football team for as long as I can remember, and have piled up State title after State title, not to mention assembling incredible winning streaks along the way. They went on a 74-game winning streak in the 2000's. Friday night's loss broke a 43-game winning streak for the Rebels. Definitely one of the crazier finishes I've seen to any football game on any level. I must say I'm pleased with the outcome. As an alumnus of Knoxville Central HS, Maryville might as well be Notre Dame in terms of how much I loathe them. Incidentally, their band plays the same fight song as the Fighting Irish....

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jacksonville State University just told their coach for the last 13 years, Jack Crowe to get out of town and also fired all of his assistants. Three conference championships (two shared) and no playoff wins in three tries - including an embarrassing loss to Furman in 2004. It's not a secret he is a raging alcoholic and regularly threw his players under the bus after poor coaching decisions.

I remember in 2010 when he could have easily won a game at the end of regulation by kicking a field goal, but forgot to call a time out. He still won the game in OT, but I realized how horrible of a coach he was then. And run it up the middle, run it up the middle, two yard shovel pass, punt! got old quickly.

The only good win on his resume was that fluke victory again Ole Miss. He was so close with Florida State that one year, and has held his own against Arkansas, GA Tech, and Florida. But when it comes to obviously inferior FCS opponents, he could either barely win the game or get clobbered by a horrible team.

I'm not saying that we should be going undefeated every year, but with the talent and the facilities that we have we should be making some deep playoff runs most of the time. The administration wants to make a move to the FBS level soon, so this is a step in the right direction.

18. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

South Carolina is clearly better then Georgia and deserves a better bowl game, and Texas A&M is better then Alabama so they should be in the title game. ;)

The pups knew they had no BCS shot if they lost, it's on them.

19. tighr

The BCS is an absolute joke.

Easy way to fix the problems: In order to accept your conference auto-bid, you also have to rank in the top 16. That would fix the Louisville and Wisconsin BS. I'm not so upset with NIU (they did what they were supposed to do), but getting into a big game when you barely finish the season over .500 is a joke.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Not too different than last year in the NFL, when the AFC West champ was 8-8 (out of three 8-8 teams).