reimagining the series

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooh send the Enterprise to Z'ha'dum! Great idea! :rommie:

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioNJlvLN-c[/yt]

:)

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they could definitely make an entertaining show with NuTrek if they wanted to, but not if they made it as a remake of the original episodes.

First off, there's a lot of episodes they'd be insane to remake. I'm in the middle of watching Catspaw for the first time. My god is it awful. They start off with poorly produced images of second rate PG-version horror cliches, and end up with thinly veiled hostility toward femininity. There's only like 20-30 episodes of this they'd actually want to remake.

Second, why would we want JJ Abrams, a writer with a distinct style of his own, to stick with scripts written for a particular time forty years ago? NuTrek is not the same as old Trek, it's an entirely new entity, and it could only flourish if it's allowed to be itself and do its own thing.

The only way a new Star Trek series could be commercially successful is if you take the basic premise of TOS, alone in space exploring the final frontier, and let modern writers do their own thing with it.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You realize it was "The Halloween episode" right? Trek or treat?

5. T'Girl

Jackson falling off the transporter platform has to be the single best practical stunt in all of Star Trek, bar none.

(Go Seahawks)

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure JMS knows there are differences between his B5 concept and Trek. That said, the central mystery thing is interesting... but "secret mission" premise, yeah, kinda iffy...

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My eyes couldn't roll far enough back inside my head, when I read this passage:

I'd've assumed that JMS was speaking purely figuratively, except—reading it gave me a massive sensation of déjà vu. :p ;)

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In some respects JMS' idea for Trek reads like Crusade.

9. T'Girl

The Enterprise would meet ancient aliens who "walked like giants among the stars."

(Go Seahawks)

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Cast Lou Ferrigno. :lol:

11. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

It's still going, and is on it's 29th issue: Parallel Lives, Part 1

[​IMG]

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no need to reshoot TOS episodes. For the next remaster/re-release, just insert a bunch of unnecessary lens flares, maybe double the size of the E in exterior effects shots, and there you go. ;)

13. T'Girl

^ And instead of all those long turbo-lift scenes, filled with sharp well written dialog, we replace them with the lead characters running frantically through the corridors yelling "get out of the way."

:)

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Hey, why admit the movies have any decent qualities at all when we can get in cheap shots just to show how clever we are? And by "clever" I meant parroting the same tired cliches.

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For clarity's sake, I like the movies. Just making light of the OP's proposal. ;)