Buffy season nine discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Mar 9, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

what giving dru a soul would'nt crue her of her maddness which was done by angel ?

how about a buffy and angel count down to august .

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

More likely, if Dru were re-ensouled and restored to being the person that she was, she would probably go even more insane from the memory of all of the death and pain that she is responsible for.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah one of the core themes that Joss wanted to return to was the trinity of Buffy, Xander, and Willow. I think the entire season revolves around these three to varying degrees of course. Each one of them goes through something different. Xander suffers tragedy again only to get happiness with Dawn (something that at first I didn't like but came to accept and enjoy). One of my favorite moments of the season is when Xander and Buffy finally have a heart to heart about their feelings for one another. I thought FINALLY!!!

4. timothy

I liked how dawn so messed with buffy's head at the end while she was in the bathroom with xander . that was hillarous . I am gona miss giles though rip.

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. And BTW Dru went insane before she was turned into a vampire. Angel said that he first drove her insane, then he sired her, and we saw insane human Drusilla in "Darla" flashbacks. She wasn't insane in a funny way like vampire Drusilla, she was just sitting there and looking completely lost and pitiable.

And what do you know.
    They're giving her her soul back, at least temporarily, in the current Spike comic. I doubt that they're going to cover any of the problems in the remaining 2 issues :rolleyes:

Well there's also the thing with Spike and Angel being in their own comics on IDW, which is not going to be a problem in the next season. And I'm not sure you're quite right about the core three. The season actually focused quite a lot on Faith (who got her own 4-issue arc) and Dawn (who got her own standalone issue and a big role [no pun intended] in a few other arcs). Not to mention that some other one-shots focused on Harmony ("Harmonic Divergence" and a few supplementary e-comics), Kennedy and Satsu ("Swell"), and even Riley (the Riley one-shot).

And even if the show did focus on the core 3, everything else was very different from the show, with Buffy being a leader of an army a celebrity and a "public enemy", Xander a watcher-of-sorts and Willow being a super-witch with powers much greater than anything we've seen on the show. #40 in fact represents going back "home", with Willow de-powered, Xander back to being an everyman with a construction work job, and Buffy as an unsung lone hero again, working in a cafeteria by day and hunting monsters in dark alleys by night.

Well, season 8 actually brought back everyone long time gone that could possibly or almost possibly be brought back. In chronological order:

Amy
    Ethan Rayne
    Warren (!!)
    Dracula
    Riley (+ Sam in the Riley one-shot)
    Clem
    Oz
    Angel (well, actually he's been there all along but we didn't know that)
    Whistler (in the Riley one-shot)
    Spike
    The Master (!!!)

Plus, if you count dreams, we also get to see Caleb, Tara ("Always Darkest", which also features cameis by a bunch of monsters from the show like the Gentlemen) and season 1 Joyce and Cordelia in "After These Messages" and we get to see the Mayor in Faith's flashback. It's like S8 took care to reference just about everything from the show.

6. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Rumor is that Dru will indeed get a soul but Spike will lose his. If that's true, then Spike was already without a soul during his appearances in Buffy Season 8. Something to ponder...

7. timothy

do you think she'll revert to her older self or be crazier than she already is ?

8. DevilEyes

That's the plot of the latest Spike comic (Spike #6), but it's pretty clear that the soul-losing (an incredibly stupid plotline, BTW) is only temporary. There's no way that Spike was soulless during season 8, because, for one thing, it would be really bad writing if he acted as it he was souled while he was soulless. If anything, he's better at restraining his emotions in S8 than he was in S7. There's no freaking way that Spike of S6 would act around Buffy the way he acts in #40, or #37 for that matter.

Besides, for the soul-losing and soul-gaining to be relevant to season 8, they would have to make the whole idea of "soul for a soul" canon... even though it makes no sense from everything else we've seen on the shows and surely something that big would have been mentioned at some point. I really don't believe that Whedon plans to retcon the mythology of the soul based on Lynch's idea for an IDW comic.

People are already debating what in the comic is or isn't canon... I won't be surprised if it comes down to "So, this panel is canon, but the next one maybe isn't, and this panel is canon but the balloon in the left corner isn't" :lol:

Dru was already crazy before she got sired. Soul doesn't cure insanity (it's more likely that it would make a sane vampire go crazy) and soullessness or being a vampire was never a reason she was insane. It was what happened to her while she was still human. She is more likely to be the way she was in that church flashback in "Darla" than in the older flashback in "Becoming".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  9. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Is the debate valid, though? I'm of the understanding that Joss himself established all of the comics' major plot points before assigning them to the writers for completion. Doesn't that make the comics Whedon canon by definition?

10. DevilEyes

No, the story about Spike's bug ship is from Joss, and he oversaw Willow's dialogue, but the 'soul for a soul' stuff comes from Lynch, as does everything with Dru, and of course the characters created by Lynch (Beck, Betta George etc.).

I doubt that the 'soul for a soul' idea will ever be referenced in DH comics. I'll be very surprised if it does.

11. timothy

this week picking up angel # 43 and spike # 6 and just finished Illyria # 4 . so well find out what with spike' soul .

12. Admiral_Young

^ If you want to start a general Buffy and Angel verse thread for other stuff feel free.

13. Turtletrekker

More from Scott Allie at ECCC on season nine and Joss Whedon's involvement.

A summary courtesy of Whedonesque...

14. Admiral_Young

^ I figured that Joss wouldn't be able to completely stay away. This is good news.

15. timothy

this is fantastic news I love buff so much the characters the stories . I am so glad
    joss whedon will over see it all . one last issue of angel left and two issues of spike left .

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry to be anal, but those scenes were actually from the Angel ep "Dear Boy" :D

Just read Spike #6 myself, god I hate Stephen Mooney's art. And the whole soul thing is yes, pretty silly

17. timothy

besides dru was'nt nuts before she was a vampire . she church going and I think she was an early psychic and had visions which her parents probably thought they were the work of the devil . and angel sired dru and then drove her nuts. and then dru sired spike which calmed her down.

18. DevilEyes

No, you got it backwards. Angel said he first drove her insane. Then he sired her.

Angel: I did a lot of unconscionable things when I became a vampire. (turns back, but doesn't make eye contact) Drusilla was the worst. She was... an obsession of mine. She was pure and sweet and chaste...
    Buffy: And you made her a vampire.
    Angel: First I made her insane. (looks at her) Killed everybody she loved. Visited every mental torture on her I could devise. (Buffy looks away) She eventually fled to a convent, and on the day she took her holy orders, I turned her into a demon.

("Lie to Me")

She already seems out of her mind in the church flashback in "Dear Boy" (not "Darla" - thanks, Ethros...).

19. Turtletrekker

The Angel series will be titled "Angel and Faith" and will be written by Christos Gage.

Some bits from the interview...

20. DevilEyes

This sounds great. I love that Faith got her name in the title and isn't treated like a sidekick.

To someone unfamiliar with the Buffyverse, 'Angel and Faith' would probably sound like some Christian literature. :rommie:

More good news - this about Buffy season 9:

Confirmation that Joss will be heavily involved with season 9

Interview with season 9 new co-writer, Andrew Chambliss

Chambliss was a writer for "Dollhouse" and now writes for "Vampire Diaries".
    Parts from the interview:

Oh, and hes' a fan of the show, and his favorite season is 6. That's my man :bolian: