The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Or, on the basis of having been involved in a disaster/battle in which he was given a battlefield promotion.:vulcan:

2. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They were also quoted as saying they regretted leaving that scene out as it would have explained the 25 year gap. I hope the Blu-ray version will have a director's cut.

3. zakfa

zakfa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What's odd to me is that the Narada was unable to completely destroy the Kelvin in seconds. I know the Enterprise later in the movie gets hit with one barrage and there shields go down to 30ish and someone reports they won't be able to take another hit.

It seems like the Narada didn't have a tractor beam either. I figure with their future tech tractor beam they could of stopped the Kelvin to a dead stop instantly before they got rammed. But it was a mining vessel so maybe they did not have one.

4. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the narada attemped to blast the kelvin as she came in on a collision course but even though she was coing apart and blowing up ( it is interesting watching the screen as all her systems are reporting off line) there is enough of her left plus the anti matter explosions to do damage to the narada.
    also george kirk was able to put the kelvin in between the narada and the escaping shuttles,

5. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

You answered your own question.

The Narada is a mining ship. That mining ship attacked the Kelvin. The attack on the Enterprise was 25 years after the attack on the Kelvin. Is 25 years enough time to weaponise a mining ship?

6. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the narada was already a weapon .but they also had just emerged out of the singularity.
    considering how easily spock's ship was later captured it is possible not all of narada's weaponry was online yet/

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering that the Narada is a product of Borg technology combined with the original mining ship, it's conceivable that the Borg tech continued to "weaponize" itself for the 25 years they waited.

Just got back from my third viewing, and the theater was at about half capacity, which is huge for here. After opening weekends, theaters in Cheyenne are rarely that full, especially if the movie is still being shown on mutiple screens in both of our theaters. Pretty good sign if you ask me. :)

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Excellent if anecdotal... :)

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Just come back from my second screening, and I must say, I liked it more than the first viewing. I found the action scenes almost impossible to follow on IMAX, but they're much better on a normal cinema screen.

Of course, the plot is no less ridiculous, and rather than a crowd of Trek fans, I had to deal with the unwashed masses here (about 20, which is a decent turnout for a second weekend). The few silent moments are not designed to have the sounds of popcorn over them!

A few drops of red matter in that cinema would improve humanity somewhat, though at least they contributed a few dollars to the Trek cause...

10. CaptJack

CaptJack Captain Captain

Overall I thought it was an excellent movie, and rated it as such here.

I did have some issues with it, several of which have been addressed by Orci and Kurtzman on their commentary concerning the plot holes of the movie and the material that was in the deleted scenes (the thread is around here somewhere).

The science seemed too simplified to me and sometimes affected my ability to suspend my disbelief.
    Red matter did not really seem like anything more than a convenient plot device to me, and that was kind of jarring. The Hobus star's expansion threatening the entire galaxy, and conveniently managing to annihilate Romulus without anyone noticing that, oh shit, there's a wall of fire originating outside from a star outside our own system approaching sooner than we'd expected -- this really seemed just, well, bad. Couldn't they have found a more plausable way to wipe out 24th century Romulus?

The most jarring thing for me, though, was really the massive amount of coincidence that bound the events of the story. It created scenes that were great from a dramatic perspective but that also seem very far-fetched.
    The Narada just happens to arrive in the twenty-third century on the day that James Kirk is being born, and right in front of the ship on which he is being born no less? After 25 years, Spock emerges from the black hole and Nero is waiting for him, having known exactly when he was going to emerge? Nero begins his assault at just the proper time to allow the Enterprise crew we know to come together? Kind of ridiculous to me in retrospect.

Yet these are not fatal flaws, and the movie has so many excellent qualities that it is able to overcome them. Hopefully the DVD release will see an extended version which corrects as many of the flaws as possible, and if its not perfect, well... it is still exciting and powerful in a way that the last few films weren't. I'm looking forward to the next installment with a sense of optimism I haven't had for Trek films since Nemesis failed to live up to its trailer, and I am truly intrigued by the possibilities set up in this new reality.

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

This was jarring to me too, but I think you're more forgiving of the writers than I am. To add to your list:

Spock (bizarrely and dangerously) maroons Kirk on Delta Vega. What are the odds that Old Spock had been marooned there too, and within miles of each other no less? It's rather convenient that Scotty just happened to be posted here aswell.

These coincidences gave my suspension of disbelief a much harder time than any psuedoscience or treknobabble.

12. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not really surprised regarding the use of coincidences given Abrams' role.

A lot of shows these days like to include Fate or a hand of God(BSG, Lost).

The issue I have with it in this film is that it isn't handled nearly as well as on Lost or Heroes in season one, for instance, where characters cross paths and are brought together in more organic plausible ways that don't feel contrived. Here you could definitely feel the writers' hands at work.

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Yeah, but Star Trek had 2 hours... Lost and Heroes had a whole friggin' season!

Time constraints do count.

14. Nimthim

Nimthim Lieutenant Red Shirt

The thing about fate and coincidences is that they ARE true to life, everyday that we live.

Some of us live a life where we marry the girl/guy we met in grade school and have the same best friends our whole lives, have a career plan that moves methodically forward, and each step of our lives follows a logical path.

But for just as many, there is that incomprehensible hand of fate, or unbelievable coincidence, that puts them in an odd place to meet their soulmate/best friend, invent some fantastic thingamabob, take an unplanned, but fantastic, career turn, find the perfect house, etc.

You can search through real life odd stories of 'fate', and probably find more than a few that are loaded with coincidences that seem as unbelievable as many find the ones in this movie.

The universe making things work out correctly?? I neither know nor care. In the context of this movie, I will certainly go with the fate point of view, as I can relate that to real life stories, and the writer wants that to be the theme.

15. AstroNerd

AstroNerd Cadet Newbie

Why would a mining ship not have some weapons? I would imagine that many times it is carrying highly valuable cargo and would be a target for pirates. It makes sense to me.

My nitpick is with the black holes and their convenient use as a time travel portal and a destructive force. To the writers I would say. "You get to pick one guys, not both."

Anyway, still love the movie.

16. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

The Kelvin shot down those torpedoes.
    She was breaking apart as she made her way to the Narada.
    It's all very clear in the high resolution version shown on a cinema screen. That low res pirated version though...

That first salvo crippled the Kelvin's warp drive.

Remember? After she de-warped the Enterprise had a near-collision with the debris of another ship, which damaged one of her warp-nacelles. Hence the Enterprise only traveling only at warp 3 and 4 for the rest of the film.

:wtf:

No.

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

coincidences are the very stuff of storytelling.

what bothers me more is the deal about the Red Matter getting to destroy Romulus before Spock was able to do anything about it. how? did no one chart its path and speed?

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Well, he's old. Old people often drive too slowly ;) :D

19. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I know she was *breaking* apart. I'm saying it's inconsistent that the Narada could so utterly pwn the Kelvin at first and not afterwards. And why couldn't the Narada.. you know.. dodge the Kelvin?

SIXTY SECONDS!

Sure. But Robau gave the order to fight before the first salvo hit the Kelvin.

20. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

1) maybe because the Narada couldn't move?

2) why flee when you think you CAN fight?