Do you often wish that you were living in Star Trek now?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Civ001, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wonder why the holodeck was called holodeck instead of fuckdeck.

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^Now THAT is how to deflect Thread Tension!... ...damn...!!!...nicely done, Shat!

3. pty4488

pty4488 Cadet Newbie

In response to the OP, I would have to say no. I think that we are getting closer to living in a Star Trek-esque world everyday. Not just technologically speaking but in terms of morality and responsibility. Comparing society today to the era that Star Trek originally aired or even to when TNG first aired we have made leaps towards environmental responsibility, social responsibility, and in acceptance of others and their differences. By no means do I think we're there yet. We have a long way to go however, I'd prefer to be here helping make the ideals presented in Star Trek a reality.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You win the thread, good sir.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finding one's women in the holodeck is amongst the last of the Social Taboos, in the 24th Century ...

6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It is an excellent question. The only one in the series who admits as much, and advocates as such, is Quark.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^It is also implied on TNG that Riker and Barclay used the holodeck for sexual purposes too.

8. HIjol

...well said, and we can only hope... :techman:

9. HIjol

...scary, that...able to customize, from orifice to dentifrice...curve to angle...silk to sinew...tress to trim...name to annon...voice to vox...cup size to inseam...my god, the heady power...

Holodiction, indeed...

10. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Can I have a link to the fic?

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Because your sexual experiences there are hollow and fulfilling.

You see, it's was never the holodeck, it was the "hollow-deck."

:)

12. T'Girl

Well from the show we really don't know that. Chief O'Brien growing up didn't have a replicator in his family's home, while Keiko (about the same age) did. There was no talk of his parent "rejecting" the technology as Picard's brother did.

Perhaps they simply couldn't afford one?

Again not a given, certainly I don't think Earth society would let you starve in the streets, but to get the full range of technological wonders you might need employment and financial means.

Because no matter how realistic the holodeck is, you know in your own mind that it isn't real. The excitement of a sporting event in part come from the crowd that surrounds you, not just the players on the field.

To actually visit Vulcan, talk to someone on Andor who wasn't "programmed in," swim in the ocean on Betazed. A holodeck can't do these things, you never leave Earth.

13. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fixed that for ya. ;)

But I do like your point.

As to the original question, I guess I haven't actually addressed it yet. When I was much younger I would have loved to be able to beam into the Trek universe and live out my life there. Now, however, no thank you. I'm just fine right where and when I am.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The holodeck also saved Tuvok and that other Voyager-Vulcan in surviving Pon Farr. Which I disagree with. If an orgasm was the only thing necessary to get through it, then it would be a joke. I thought it was about performing a mind meld with your mate to balance out your brain chemistry again. You can't mind meld with a hologram.

15. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reality? Screw reality.

Besides even episodes like Ship In A Bottle you have crewmembers not knowing they were in a holodeck recreation. Realistic enough to convince them for a while. The computer seems to do most of the programming, Moriarty couldn't program character traits of people he'd not met.

Going by what we saw, if you went to the Holodeck and said 'computer, create feature film adaptions of all the Star Wars books, using all the original actors - I don't think that would be beyond it's abilities.

16. T'Girl

Thanks.

At some point in the future I will get through a whole day without misspelling a single word.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Barclay, yeah, I could see that, but Riker? I don't recall anything in particular.

18. HIjol

No buns-up for Riker, at least in the holo-deck...he met Minuet there, but they never did anything physical... :rofl:

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In The Perfect Mate after encountering Kamala in the corridor, Riker makes the comment "I'll be in the holodeck." Most people usually interpret that as going there for sexual purposes.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Or, as Jayne Cobb would later put it, "I'll be in my bunk." :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.