Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 28 2013, 02:21 AM   #31
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Goodbye Dr. Odo.....

I found out over the holiday that my stepbrother's 11-year-old daughter and her 14-year-old cousin are quite taken with Matt Smith's Doctor Who. I couldn't help but think they will be a little less enthusiastic about Capaldi.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 04:21 AM   #32
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The first couple of times through, I really enjoyed Capaldi's Interpretation, and think it's got a lot of promise. After the third or fourth time through, yea, his lines seemed to be delivered a bit mechanically, but, that's common with many things you watch repeatedly in a single sitting.

I don't know Capaldi from his roles outside the Whoniverse, but, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Doctor (Though, I've never hated any one of them, like many have with McCoy or C. Baker, or others). Yea, his first episode, will likely be him scrambled, as the first story traditionally is, so, look for at least the second episode of Series 8 to be the first time you can really comfortably get a feel for his interpretation

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; December 28 2013 at 04:32 AM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 04:41 AM   #33
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I found out over the holiday that my stepbrother's 11-year-old daughter and her 14-year-old cousin are quite taken with Matt Smith's Doctor Who. I couldn't help but think they will be a little less enthusiastic about Capaldi.
And that is part of the problem with skewing younger and younger. The kids come to expect KIDS.

The opposite was true when I was younger - I started watching DW with Pertwee, so for me, the Doctor was always like an old professor. Cut to Tom Baker and it's still good - not only is he like an old professor still but he's also portrayed brilliantly and a little mad.

It's no coincidence I didn't take to Peter Davidson - not only was he Tristram from "All Creatures Great and Small" but he was too YOUNG - that was NOT the Doctor for me.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:01 AM   #34
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny but after all this time even I found the older Capaldi took me back a bit when he came on. It will be interesting to see how/if audiences take to him. I couldn't really tell from the little bit he was on what I think just yet.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 05:08 AM   #35
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Tulin wrote: View Post
...... and good riddance!

Now back to an old Doctor - the way it SHOULD be!!!

The past 8 Doctors (Baker, Davidson, Baker, McCoy, McCann, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith) debuted when they were under 45.

The average age for a newly regenerated Doctor (not including Capaldi) is 37. Including him it's 39. If you want to include Hurt it's still only 41.

Classic Doctor average age is 41. NuDr average is 35.

But please, do go on about the kids on your lawn and how they made the series insanely popular.
Old December 28 2013, 06:46 AM   #36
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

And by the end of series eight, fans will be whining about how he's ruined the show, and we need Matt back. Happens every time.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2013, 06:54 AM   #37
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
Most Doctors were younger fellows. Tom Baker was also quite young when he took over. So was Peter Davison. Colin Baker wasn't old, either.
There's a difference between "young" and "manic college freshman." Guess which one Matt Smith was.
Manic college Freshman? College freshmen don't wear tweed and bowties and try and act "cool" by saying goofy things are cool.

Smith's doctor wasn't a student; Smith's Doctor was the eccentric college professor.
Old December 28 2013, 01:06 PM   #38
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Count Zero wrote: View Post
Most Doctors were younger fellows. Tom Baker was also quite young when he took over. So was Peter Davison. Colin Baker wasn't old, either.
There's a difference between "young" and "manic college freshman." Guess which one Matt Smith was.
Manic college Freshman? College freshmen don't wear tweed and bowties and try and act "cool" by saying goofy things are cool.

Smith's doctor wasn't a student; Smith's Doctor was the eccentric college professor.
That's one thing that gets to me about criticisms of Smith's Doctor. Sure, Smith himself is young, but his Doctor definitely isn't. There've been times when he rivaled the grumpiest of Doctors. At times he was even grumpier than the War Doctor, and that was even before the War Doctor's debut. I liked that Smith could mix youthful jubilation with observations and mannerisms of age, as to me, any good Doctor should be full of built-in contradictions.
Old December 28 2013, 05:15 PM   #39
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Squiggy Claus wrote: View Post

The past 8 Doctors (Baker, Davidson, Baker, McCoy, McCann, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith) debuted when they were under 45.

The average age for a newly regenerated Doctor (not including Capaldi) is 37. Including him it's 39. If you want to include Hurt it's still only 41.

But please, do go on about the kids on your lawn and how they made the series insanely popular.
Indeed, however, if you watch the 50th Anniversary biopic "An Adventure in Time and Space," they show the original idea for the show was a cantankerous OLD man as the Doctor. Now, things are organic and change over time, but they initially wanted the Doctor to be a somewhat crabby grandfatherly type. Every Doctor since Davison has really been anything but. SHOULD the Doctor be portrayed as a younger feller? Well, we've had that. SHOULD the Doctor be portrayed as an old guy? We've had that too. No reason we can't go back to that, especially if there is to be an homage to the First Doctor with Capaldi being the first Doctor of the new set of regenerations.
Old December 28 2013, 08:45 PM   #40
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

I would like to think that the Doctor can regenerate into any type of man. I personally prefer the 30-40 look. Not too young, but not older either. I enjoy the manic energy the younger doctors brought to the show, especially with Tennant (just the right age imo) and Smith (a bit younger). However I do think that having a variety is necessary. I would prefer it to kind of bounce around from one to the other from time to time.
Old December 29 2013, 03:33 AM   #41
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

A Christmas Festival wrote: View Post
Squiggy Claus wrote: View Post

Indeed, however, if you watch the 50th Anniversary biopic "An Adventure in Time and Space," they show the original idea for the show was a cantankerous OLD man as the Doctor. Now, things are organic and change over time, but they initially wanted the Doctor to be a somewhat crabby grandfatherly type. Every Doctor since Davison has really been anything but. SHOULD the Doctor be portrayed as a younger feller? Well, we've had that. SHOULD the Doctor be portrayed as an old guy? We've had that too. No reason we can't go back to that, especially if there is to be an homage to the First Doctor with Capaldi being the first Doctor of the new set of regenerations.
Oh, I can't wait to see Capaldi brings to the role. My point is that the Doctor isn't supposed to be any age. They're all different and really, they're all hundreds of years old with differing personalities.

Hartnell's age almost doomed the show.