Romulus in "The Defector"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 24, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

A good episode. But, what's up with the Romulus Data recreates for Admiral Jarok on the holodeck? It reminded me of Vulcan as seen in the original version of The Motion Picture - with two planets or moons in the sky, neither of which are ever seen again, and neither of which resembles Remus (at least, not the Remus we'd come to know in Nemesis and Enterprise)

The spires seen through the mist in the background are reminicent of the cover of Diane Duane's first Rihannsu novel, "My Enemy, My Ally"

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Since that episode, how many times have wee seen the sky of Romulus, at night, or with similar sky conditions as in that holodeck sequence?

The recreation Data made could've been a very specific location on Romulus even during a specific celestial event.

It'd be like showing a location somewhere on the equator of earth during a solar eclipse in the summer and asking why it doesn't look like Northern England on a normal rainy afternoon (or any afternoon, I guess) in the winter.

3. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is the Romulan equivalent of a Grand Canyon postcard. Data used the Federation's limited knowledge of Romulus to recreate the Valley of Chula... but the Federation really only has the equivalent of Grand Canyon and Eiffel Tower postcards.